Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subscriptions has been the strategy a lot of tech companies have been shifting to for quite some time. Adobe does it with Creative Cloud. Microsoft does it with Office 365. BMW even turned CarPlay in to a subscription!! Wall Street loves the recurring revenues and rewards the companies that have successful subscription business models.

Personally, I despise subscriptions. I try to eliminate as many from my life as possible. It was the end users who allowed this to happen. If companies can do it and make money from it, they will continue to do it.

As for the apparent merging of iOS and macOS, I think it's a good thing. I do not think that macOS will end up being iOS. At WWDC last year, Apple clearly said that we would always be able to disable SIP and we would be able to install apps outside of the App Store on macOS. Not having this "walled garden" is what will separate iOS and macOS.

For me, I'm looking forward to the Apple Silicon Macs. I'm hoping to see some passively cooled Macs again. I think the last time I had a passively cooled Mac was the B&W PowerMac G3.

Making software and keeping it relevant and up-to-date costs money. If you don't have a subscription model, who's going to pay for new features and maintenance? In the infancy of IT, the constant influx of new customers would pay for this, but there are only so many people that want/need a DAW or what have you, and then this model for money making(to pay for new features, programmers, tech support, etc) doesn't work anymore.
The other option is to charge for upgrades on a regular basis. In practice, this will cost about the same.

What I do hate is if companies make it impossible to use their software if you stop subscribing. My LR catalogue with 80.000 edited pictures is useless without a LR subscription... I could commit all my edits, save them to new files, and get rid of LR, but that's a lot of work and I actually enjoy using LR and PS. So it's worth $10/month to me.

Lots of business oriented software companies charge real money for subscriptions, they have their clientele cornered as changing the inventory software(written in cobol) or what have you is a massive and costly undertaking.

Making software and keeping it relevant and up-to-date costs money. If you don't have a subscription model, who's going to pay for new features and maintenance? In the infancy of IT, the constant influx of new customers would pay for this, but there are only so many people that want/need a DAW or what have you, and then this model for money making(to pay for new features, programmers, tech support, etc) doesn't work anymore.
The other option is to charge for upgrades on a regular basis. In practice, this will cost about the same.

What I do hate is if companies make it impossible to use their software if you stop subscribing. My LR catalogue with 80.000 edited pictures is useless without a LR subscription... I could commit all my edits, save them to new files, and get rid of LR, but that's a lot of work and I actually enjoy using LR and PS. So it's worth $10/month to me.

Lots of business oriented software companies charge real money for subscriptions, they have their clientele cornered as changing the inventory software(written in cobol) or what have you is a massive and costly undertaking.

I understand there's cost to updating software. I have no problem with paying for major updates. I don't like software that stops working if subscription fees are not paid.

Serif Labs is able to sell their software, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and Affinity Publisher without the need for subscriptions, why can't Adobe? It wasn't that long ago when Adobe sold their apps and there was no subscription to speak of. User paid for major updates and were able to keep using old versions if they didn't/couldn't pay for the new versions. It's just Adobe trying to squeeze more out of their customers.

first it was nvidia then intel, i think AMD is next

apple will make a gpu, it doesn’t have to be nothing big, just powerfull enough to render and play some games, we know apple is going to add ios apps to the “mac” so why not also ios games

yes apple might still support egpu but who knows if they also shut that down. who will want to run a hackintosh with an unsupported gpu

just ask that same question to any nvidia owner with an unsupported rtx

so it looks like AMD will be the next one mr cook hit list

just give it a few years, once apple finally moves to their on silicone cpu then the next step is their own gpu

i was right about intel being next and i know i’m right about AMD being next

tim thinks he is golberg

you’re next

:lol:

Last edited:
If they can get the performance they wish by building/using their own GPU I would imagine they would. Unless it really works to their favor to use AMD going forward they might but they seem to want custom chips anyway (5600m for instance.) The end result really doesn't matter if the performance is there. I like Nvidia for their ML and gaming ability for sure, but if the AS Mac has everything we need it doesn't really matter.

What I don't see (and I think where most are upset about) is PC compatibility with off-the-shelf compoments (aka GPUs.) From my vantage point this is not Apple's desire nor concern.

first it was nvidia then intel, i think AMD is next

apple will make a gpu, it doesn’t have to be nothing big, just powerfull enough to render and play some games, we know apple is going to add ios apps to the “mac” so why not also ios games

yes apple might still support egpu but who knows if they also shut that down. who will want to run a hackintosh with an unsupported gpu

just ask that same question to any nvidia owner with an unsupported rtx

so it looks like AMD will be the next one mr cook hit list

just give it a few years, once apple finally moves to their on silicone cpu then the next step is their own gpu

i was right about intel being next and i know i’m right about AMD being next

tim thinks he is golberg

you’re next

:lol:

tim strategy
replace computer parts with ipad or iphone parts

that will help stop hackintosh because none of those parts are on pc

also apple wants to turn mac os into some kind of mac ios hybrid

so they will not need desktop parts because the macs will no longer be desktos, at least on the inside

it will have some ios or ipad os components like that new silicone cpu

so the next step is the gpu, i think they already have their own mobile gpu in iphones and ipads, i’m not really sure if is their own desing or if another company makes the chips for them

mac os little by little will have a painful death, everything will be change, software and hardware

yes it will take a few years that’s for sure

hehe I don't see it that dire. macOS is still arguably the best Unix desktop and giving it a good RISC CPU will be even more so (IMHO.)

Honestly I can not wait to get an Arm Mac. Looking more to the mobile side than desktop so a solid nice MacBook Air with A13/14 or whatever it will be. heck, even the A12Z in the devkit would be cool in an Air.

tim strategy
replace computer parts with ipad or iphone parts

that will help stop hackintosh because none of those parts are on pc

also apple wants to turn mac os into some kind of mac ios hybrid

so they will not need desktop parts because the macs will no longer be desktos, at least on the inside

it will have some ios or ipad os components like that new silicone cpu

so the next step is the gpu, i think they already have their own mobile gpu in iphones and ipads, i’m not really sure if is their own desing or if another company makes the chips for them

mac os little by little will have a painful death, everything will be change, software and hardware

yes it will take a few years that’s for sure

My question here is, what happens to Apple Silicon based macs when no longer supported? are we expected to simply "e-cycle" them? what a waste! At least my iMac from late 2013 can live out the rest of its useful life as a windows (yuck! I know), or Linux box for many years to come!

totally understandable specially if the person likes mobile devices, like ios, ipad os and portable macs, but there are also other users who
likes desktop computers, because that is where the raw power really is

edit
yes mac os was probably the best system untill apple decided to ruin everything, there are many people who
likes the change but there are others who don’t and i wasn’t talking about hardware, i was talking about software, maybe is just the first impression and big sur turn out to be alright after all, but is not so hard to make and os better than catalina, big sur might feel like a good os simply because catalina was horrible, newer is not always better, i’m not a hater nor a negative person but in my own opinion, apple destroyed the real mac os, but i don’t have any problem if someone likes the direction where apple is going, i personally don’t like what apple is doing but that is just me
hehe I don't see it that dire. macOS is still arguably the best Unix desktop and giving it a good RISC CPU will be even more so (IMHO.)

Honestly I can not wait to get an Arm Mac. Looking more to the mobile side than desktop so a solid nice MacBook Air with A13/14 or whatever it will be. heck, even the A12Z in the devkit would be cool in an Air.

Last edited:
excellent point
My question here is, what happens to Apple Silicon based macs when no longer supported? are we expected to simply "e-cycle" them? what a waste! At least my iMac from late 2013 can live out the rest of its useful life as a windows (yuck! I know), or Linux box for many years to come!

totally understandable specially if the person likes mobile devices, like ios, ipad os and portable macs, but there are also other users who
likes desktop computers, because that is where the raw power really is

Fastest computer in the world is ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back