Contribute
Register

Apple Previews iMac Pro: The Fastest Mac Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I guess it will be X299. I just wanted to mention that similar things can be done also with X99 nowadays. It requires already a minimum number of additional kext and efi files although it is not natively supported. However KextstoPatch and KernelToPatch entries in the config.plist are still manifold and will strongly reduce in case of a future natively supported X299 system.

Once X299 is available, a new customac-pro high-end build and guide shall follow asap ;)
It can also be done in X79 :)

It can also be done in X79 :)

Certainly true! But X79 components cannot be easily achieved anymore... X99 is still state-of-the-art until X299 will take over...

Certainly true! But X79 components cannot be easily achieved anymore... X99 is still state-of-the-art until X299 will take over...

Agree KGP it is probably hard to find X79 Mainboards now, and X99 is the way to go if someone wants big power right today.

This X79 with i7 3930K (6 core) has served me well for many years (Thanks Tony Mac, Mac Man, Stork, Thanos)!. Think I made this one around 2012 or so right before the trash can mac pro was released.

It maybe time to upgrade to X299 when it comes out, and is supported by the community here. If anyone is interested to purchase a X79 setup let me know :)

Very curious to see a sneak peak of the 2018 Mac Pro. It would be great if apple will allow multiple M.2 drives that users can upgrade (fingers crossed), upgradable RAM, upgradable Video Cards, CPU, and smaller form factor 2.5" Sata SSD drives perhaps a mini backplane of sorts. It would also be great if they had a bare bones low end model with no cpu, ram, and or video card so that users could drop in whatever solution they would need. Essentially just a case that contains the mainboard. That is probably not likely but could be cool option for the frugal Pro users that like to tinker.

-GS

Last edited:
That's not how the high-end studios work. They will buy a bunch of these fully speced out because they have the cash, write it off in two years and get new stuff after that. The big shops do not upgrade their boxes. They buy them speced to need and then get rid of them. They are all hooked to massive central servers. It's a different world.
I don't talk about a major companies. I said about professional freelancers or small or medium studios.

Looks like Apple is kicking off nvidia for good , Probably has to do with the CUDA vs OpenCL battle. It's time for TonyMac to tweak their GPU buyers guide

What struck me is first: Full-size DIMMs, then I thought: Hey, how do I reach them?!

Skärmavbild 2017-06-07 kl. 12.14.44.png

The DIMMs on the left side above the ports

Skärmavbild 2017-06-07 kl. 12.14.39.png

No hatch! Do I need to remove screen and motherboard from the front to upgrade RAM my self?

What struck me is first: Full-size DIMMs, then I thought: Hey, how do I reach them?!

No hatch! Do I need to remove screen and motherboard from the front to upgrade RAM my self?

That's probably why Apple says it won't be user upgradeable: https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/05/imac-pro-ram-and-space-gray-accessories/

Maybe they wanted to use some plastic snaps, or something like that. The screen, I bet, would stay in place, but likely you have to take the stand off and who knows what else.

That's probably why Apple says it won't be user upgradeable: https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/05/imac-pro-ram-and-space-gray-accessories/

Maybe they wanted to use some plastic snaps, or something like that. The screen, I bet, would stay in place, but likely you have to take the stand off and who knows what else.
Is strange that they seem to be using exchangable DIMMs if they're not user upgradeable. Usually they solder it unto the motherboard when it's not user replacable.

In the current iMac-line, if you need to reach the back of the motherboard to switch SSD you basicly have to remove everything from the front. Including screen, speakers, fans and what not.

View attachment 259906

View attachment 259907

Does anyone notice something else about these images ?

If they are representative of the final design/hardware layout, see how small the motherboard now is compared to the chassis.

Likely the soldering would cost more than the standard clips - especially given the memory is configurable at the time of purchase. This cuts down on the necessary parts, makes assembly a little quicker, and lowers the skillset required to put the machine together - cost savings all around.

The funniest thing I found in the keynote about the iMac Pro is that Apple depicted the heat going sideways out from the chassis, completely away from the monitor. Uh, no, Apple, heat rises...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back