Contribute
Register

Apple Finally Buying AMD CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel has previously stated they have no plans for pcie 4, they are waiting for pcie 5. Their pcie 4 Optane drive development team asked vendors to test on AMD systems.

Once Intel moves to 7nm they will be back on top, in fact if the latest leaks are true the 10nm is claiming 95% performance gain over their 14nm. If that is true 10nm will overtake anything AMD can dish out over the next 2 years.

All indications seem to point towards second half of 2021 for the 10nm Xeons. By that time, AMD should have already released Zen 3 and started to move towards 5nm... Looks like it will be good times for consumers.

Intel has previously stated they have no plans for pcie 4, they are waiting for pcie 5. Their pcie 4 Optane drive development team asked vendors to test on AMD systems.

Once Intel moves to 7nm they will be back on top, in fact if the latest leaks are true the 10nm is claiming 95% performance gain over their 14nm. If that is true 10nm will overtake anything AMD can dish out over the next 2 years.

Thats just my point if intel does either move pci-e X or change to smaller lithography and fix their supply line will AMD still feel like they are competing? Is AMD going to drop the ball again? AMD has always been inconsistent at best in their performance offerings and the market knows.

Thats just my point if intel does either move pci-e X or change to smaller lithography and fix their supply line will AMD still feel like they are competing? Is AMD going to drop the ball again? AMD has always been inconsistent at best in their performance offerings and the market knows.
Yes, I’m the past but they do have Lisa Su which seems to have gotten them out of the slump. They were at $2 a share when she took over and if she can hold on to control of the company it may be able to compete for a long time, at least until we reach 0nm lithography.

Yes, I’m the past but they do have Lisa Su which seems to have gotten them out of the slump. They were at $2 a share when she took over and if she can hold on to control of the company it may be able to compete for a long time, at least until we reach 0nm lithography.

We also need to keep in mind that Intel originally planned to release Cannon Lake (10nm) back in 2016. Then it failed and pushed it back, then it failed and pushed it back, then it failed and pushed it back... Heck, they can't even produce 14nm CPUs in sufficient quantities.

Lots of people seem to overlook this history, albeit recent history, of failure. It was precisely this history of failure that allowed AMD to catch up to Intel.

Lots of people seem to overlook this history, albeit recent history, of failure. It was precisely this history of failure that allowed AMD to catch up to Intel.

Failure because your pushing limits is one thing, people can forgive failure. But giving up and that is what AMD did 10 or so years ago is less forgivable. No one wants to be the loser, but no one likes a quitter!

Failure because your pushing limits is one thing, people can forgive failure. But giving up and that is what AMD did 10 or so years ago is less forgivable. No one wants to be the loser, but no one likes a quitter!

That was under different leadership...

Today, AMD obviously hasn't given up because they've caught up to Intel. They're also not just sitting on their hands. Zen 3 is set for release this year.

Can't say Apple stopped innovating because John Sculley screwed up decades ago... I think Intel's recent history is more significant to what will happen next year than AMD's decade old history.

That was under different leadership...

Today, AMD obviously hasn't given up because they've caught up to Intel.

That means nothing to me, this is the third or forth time AMD has made a run at intel. In fact they caught intel 10 years ago and were beating them at every turn including price. Then boom they imploded and fell off the market... They did have one thing going for them, you could use the same motherboard for like the past 15 years.

That means nothing to me, and they caught intel 10 years ago in fact they were beating them at every turn including price. Then boom they imploded and fell off the market... They did have one thing going for them, you could use the same motherboard for like the past 15 years.

Well, neither of us can predict the future... We can just speculate. You are basing your speculation on the failings of a very different AMD than the one that exists today and I am basing my speculation on the failings of the same Intel that has failed the last 5 years.

Well, neither of us can predict the future... We can just speculate. You are basing your speculation on the failings of a very different AMD than the one that exists today and I am basing my speculation on the failings of the same Intel that has failed the last 5 years.

You are basing your speculation on Failings, I am basing my speculation on a company that gave up! When I miss my landing by 2 feet and case a jump my boys are like dam dawg at least you are trying. If I peddle around the jump my boys are like dam dawg your a pussy. AMD just gave up they did not even try to keep going new leadership or not they have a history of giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back