CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I really hope this story pans out to be true.

Now that AMD have CPU's that are as powerful (or more powerful) than similar spec'ed Intel CPU's and at a lower cost, it totally makes sense that Apple would consider using AMD CPU's/APU's.

Apple and AMD already have a close working relationship when it comes to GPU's, so Apple will probably get very favourable price's on CPU's resulting in higher margins on their retail products.

I'm just surprised it's taken them this long to make the jump ...

Having official AMD CPU/APU support in MacOs will open up a whole new world for the Hackintosh community.

Cheers
Jay

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
Core i7 8700K
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Apple, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Wow this is real news!

Since its switch to the x86 machine architecture from PowerPC in the mid-2000s, Apple has been consistent with Intel as its sole supplier of CPUs for its Macbooks, iMac desktops, and Mac Pro workstations. The company's relationship with rival AMD has been limited to sourcing discrete GPUs. If pieces of code from a MacOS beta is anything to go buy, Apple could bite the AMD bullet very soon. References to several AMD processors were found in MacOS 10.15.4 Beta 1. These include the company's "Picasso," "Renoir," and "Van Gogh" APUs.

EgOZWhnsCVdz5SOW.jpg

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 AORUS Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Plus, Power Mac, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm surprised that Apple hasn't already. Not sure what ties them so closely to Intel, but imagine if the $6k Mac Pro was a 16 core machine (or maybe even a 32 core) -- people wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.