Contribute
Register

Apple branded bluetooth module in USB hub - Solved Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my apple branded bluetooth working on my custo mac mini z77n-wifi. Sort of...

I'm stumped, anybody know why this would and wouldn't work?

NOT WORKING: A1114 module with antenna > 3.3v to 5v converter > Internal 4 pin USB header cable > Mobo USB header

WORKING: A1114 module with antenna > 3.3v to 5v converter > External Male USB > Back Panel Female USB

Ground, voltage and D+/D- are correctly connected, modules tested working

Is there anything in BIOS that could effect the internal USB header connection? Or maybe I should be using a 9 pin internal connector instead of a 4 pin internal connector? Or maybe a bad 4 pin connecter...

Maybe set xHCI and XHCI to auto?

z77n-wifi | 10.8.2 | xHCI enabled, XHCI Enabled, Legacy USB Enabled in BIOS

Any suggestions are much appreciated

And thanks again to everyone who helps us noobs!!!:thumbup:

Or maybe I should be using a 9 pin internal connector instead of a 4 pin internal connector? Or maybe a bad 4 pin connecter...
Seems like a wiring problem with the internal header.
If you can get your hands on one of the internal usb header to female bracket (like the attached), and plug your external version of your bluetooth module into it to test that it works. If it does, then you know it's your home made header wiring that's faulty. If it does not work, it's most likely some BIOS setup of the internal usb ports.
2-port-usb.JPG

Seems like a wiring problem with the internal header.
If you can get your hands on one of the internal usb header to female bracket (like the attached), and plug your external version of your bluetooth module into it to test that it works. If it does, then you know it's your home made header wiring that's faulty. If it does not work, it's most likely some BIOS setup of the internal usb ports.
View attachment 36515

Thanks for the response and the suggestion. I'll give it a shot if I can't get it working with any additional BIOS settings.

I appreciate it!

Found a spare header and it worked... but there is a delay in the mouse and keyboard working right at boot and after sleep... and then sometimes after sleep I get a laggy mouse until I unpair and pair again... Back to reading up

Is this mod working for people in the BIOS? My setup is Mountain Lion only, there's no Linux or Windows on the box at all. The system will wake on Bluetooth (Logitech Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard) and my peripherals works perfectly once booted, but the keyboard will only randomly work in the BIOS, but there's no perceivable pattern to it. I have the A1181 wired to one arm of a 9 pin USB header (with a 5V->3.3V step down board in-line).

Is this mod working for people in the BIOS?
Yes it works for me.
When I power up the PC, I just touch the power switch once on Apple Wireless keyboard once - just to wake it up.
And, if I wish to go into the BIOS, I hit the F2 key a few times while the POST is happening - I think this helps teh keyboard to find the receiver.

The only time it does not work for is when I Restart the OS from the menu.

The other problem I have is with the Apple Wireless keyboard - it does not have Page UP/Down keys and certain BIOS screens require those keys to change the settings.

UPDATE:
This Apple bluetooth adapter only works with the BIOS in my old Dell Inspiron 530. I recently built a new hack based on the gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard and this adapter does not work with the gigabyte BIOS :cry:

Is there any chance to burn up a bluetooth module?
Because I've bought mine, did all the steps and my system doesn't even recognize it :/

Ive ordered an Apple A1114 Bluetooth Board & Antenna, an LD1117 Voltage Regulator and two 10uF 10V Capacitors (Dipped Tantalum Bead ones). My parts should arrive this week sometime and I will update with pics.

I ended up buying another module, working perfectly now with the diode method :D
Only thing is: it does wake up from sleep but
a) I have to turn off and on my keyboard
b) Magic Mouse lags sometimes and I have to turn it off and on again, bummer :(

Hi

I have just got working my apple branded BT dongle. In case you have problems to get the BT-card with the cable, you can try to find a cable like this:
http://www.bichosyplantas.net/DSC_0028-800.jpg

At least with my card:
http://www.bichosyplantas.net/_K511061-a800c10.jpg

it works perfectly, and soldering is relatively easy:
http://www.bichosyplantas.net/_K511063-a800c10.jpg

I found the cable inside a broken internal Apple DVD writer/player that came with my PowerMac G5. It was attached to the motor that moves the optical assambly. I just destroyed the motor to free the left side of the cable. Take care that there are no wires that make contacts that shouldn't be made. Maybe this sort of cable is used for other DVD step motors, too.

Hope that may be useful
Cheers - Klaus

Attachments

• _K511062-a800c10.jpg
    _K511062-a800c10.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 402
  • _K511065-a800c10.jpg
    _K511065-a800c10.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 430
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back