Contribute
Register

Apple ATI Radeon 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
YO,
so apple cinema displays only work with the apple 5770 and not a regular cheap 5770? How about dual cinema displays?

Yes sir -
dual27acd.jpg

Nice setup man :thumbup:
I'm a newbie to apple OS..how did you get two of those task bar thingies going on at the top? Also, what's up with the weird dock thing you got in the right?
One last thing,
How can you drive two of those cinema displays if the 5770 only has one display port output? And is that a regular 5770 you are using?

n/m i see you are using an apple 5770. I have a regular 5770 laying about. Can't use those if I ever want one of those cinema displays, right? Too bad there aren't any glossy pro displays besides the apples.

SecondBar is how I got the menu on the other monitor. Wish they made a Thirdbar too :)
Adium Messenger is on the right with my personal/work contacts.
Right, the Apple 5770 is needed to push the 2560x1440 to the monitors but I think others on this board are using a converter between the DVI and Mini Displayport to accomplish it too. One of them might chime in. The Apple ATI card is extremely long. I ended up just cutting off the bracket since it got in the way of my sata ports and side of the HDD bays.

Hard to squeeze it all into the shot, but the 3rd monitor is working. Just a old Viewsonic 20" in portrait mode.
office.jpg

That is a dream set up :thumbup: What speaker-monitors are those? I finally jumped in to some entry audio monitors - big step up from the integrated speakers on the display I was using before. I see you have some z680 stuff there too. My old set broke unfortunately.

By the way, those apple 5770 cards..they work just the same in windows, right?

Thx, Mackie MR8's. I had to break down and get them for mixing. I didn't think they'd be this big, but they line up with the 27" monitors nicely.
My Logitech THX stuff was way to bias when it came to bass and treble. I kept it all there though for normal 24/7 audio. I officially have no more room on my desk.

You now thats a tough one on the Windows support with this card. After I bought my MBPro about 3 years ago I slowly removed windows from all my PC's. I'd imagine people are bootcamping with this card, but I can't confirm/deny. Based on:
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/ind ... 89910.html
Seems like its up to ATI's Driver support.

Thanks for the info man. I was thinking about grabbing one of those cinema displays in the future, but now that I think about it one may be enough given the higher resolution (rolling with 2x1680x1050s now)
Glossy/glass displays just look a lot cooler :eek:

Right they're massive. I think its about 51" across with a slight pitch in the middle for viewing angles. Which is about the same length as my 88-key MAUDIO Keystation. It's also a hefty investment. At first I was like "wow, I have to turn my head!!" but it feels natural now. I added the 3rd since I commonly Code, Research, Review or Have Logic Pro open Composing, Plugins, Mixer (tracks) etc ...
Nice too because I can split the 3rd one between my MBPro and my main Production box so its a tad more versatile.
One thing I do miss is multi video in's on these monitors. But the quality is insane so I forgive them.

Yeah, massive is right. I never would have thought to need multi displays until I saw the efficiency advantage when using the computers at my old school. Now 2x22" feels a bit small haha. I would just love more vertical resolution than what's out there or the same pixel pitch as what's in the new iphone/ipod y'know. By the way, I don't know much about music making. The software on OSX better than what's on windows?

I prefer Logic 9 to anything I tested windows. I've tried to use Cubase and Reaper, but any interface is a fairly decent learning curve. Logic Pro just clicked. Things i look for are where I'd expect them. Things I plugin work, low latency and supports 32 and 64bit VST's. The new magic Trackpad makes gestures zooming in/out a snap.
In the end most the virtual libraries are supported on both platforms. Apples core audio just feels more professional than fussing on windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back