Contribute
Register

Apple ATI Radeon 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your quick response! Will try that tomorrow.

teapot said:
Simple - make sure you have these lines in your com.apple.boot.Plist (in E/L):
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

According to this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768&st=0&start=0
AtiFb has been replaced by AtiConfig.

With my Apple ATI 5770 (YMMV) the card was properly detected and Hoolock was used as the frame buffer automatically by kabyl's bootloader in r700 without having to specify it explicitly in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Notwithstanding the convenience of using kabyl's bootloader, I get 25-30% better Cinebench scores by not using it and setting GraphicsEnabler=No and using ATY_Init with an edited Info.plist to use the Hoolock framebuffer.

Hmm.. still a bit confused. So can I just replace <key>AtiFb</key> with <key>AtiConfig</key> then? Or is it more than just changing this key?

Kabyl updated it to AtiConfig in his release of Chameleon because it made more sense then AtiFb. It would appear it works either way though.

I obtained smoother/natural behavior from his bootloader and the ability to boot up in x64. The ATY_Init.kext route requires you to adjust some of the entries to Hoolock on your own if you go that route. I had some issues with big square boxes/pixels on boot right before it fades to your wallpaper, and monitor 3 (DVI) was non-existent. I don't recall noticing any performance changes other than that.

xenophex said:
Kabyl updated it to AtiConfig in his release of Chameleon because it made more sense then AtiFb. It would appear it works either way though.

I obtained smoother/natural behavior from his bootloader and the ability to boot up in x64. The ATY_Init.kext route requires you to adjust some of the entries to Hoolock on your own if you go that route. I had some issues with big square boxes/pixels on boot right before it fades to your wallpaper, and monitor 3 (DVI) was non-existent. I don't recall noticing any performance changes other than that.

I see, well I'lll better try that method then. How should I install Kabyl's edited Chameleon? And should I leave my old 5770 in when installing this new bootloader?

I had a 9800 Nvidia in mine prior. I just took the boot file from Kabyl (and because I run raid I had done a manual EFI Partition install so that forced me to put the boot file say in a pre-existing release of chameleon and run the Terminal Commands.) If you didn't do a Terminal install, and you just have a boot file sitting in the root of your drive, you should be able to replace it with his.
Update your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra with mentioned changes
Remember to remove any enablers (kexts) you may or may not of been using prior
Power off
Pull your old card
Put in the Apple ATI Card
Reboot with a -v -f
Everything should be happy at that point.

xenophex said:
I had a 9800 Nvidia in mine prior. I just took the boot file from Kabyl (and because I run raid I had done a manual EFI Partition install so that forced me to put the boot file say in a pre-existing release of chameleon and run the Terminal Commands.) If you didn't do a Terminal install, and you just have a boot file sitting in the root of your drive, you should be able to replace it with his.
Update your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra with mentioned changes
Remember to remove any enablers (kexts) you may or may not of been using prior
Power off
Pull your old card
Put in the Apple ATI Card
Reboot with a -v -f
Everything should be happy at that point.

Ok, think I got it. Didn't see any boot file using the finder (obviously) but in terminal I saw a file named "boot" (no extension) in the root of my drive.
I should replace this using the following command(rename the original boot file):
Code:
sudo mv "boot" "boot.old"
And then copy the downloaded boot file to the root of my drive:
Code:
sudo mv "/Users/myusername/downloads/boot" "boot"

Right?

And then copy the downloaded boot file to the root of my drive:
Code:
sudo mv "/Users/myusername/downloads/boot" "boot"

Right?

Correct.

Got it! Installation worked. Quite a b*tch to get the card in though. Only thing left is the ACD display.

Hey guys, great thread. Have patience with me, I am a newb, a recent convert from 15 years of overpriced and underwhelming Apple hardware.

I have an ATI HD 5570 video card that I am trying to mate with a 24" Apple Cinema Display. I've tried the Gefen DVI to Mini DP converter that I used with my old PowerBook. And I've tried this connector:

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/produ ... Cable.html

No luck.

I've read (ok, skimmed) this entire thread and have gleaned some knowledge, but not enough to get 'er going. Any ideas? Am I just hosed with this set up? Do I neea new video card, or can I make this work?

#### EDIT ####

Apparently the HD5570 is using the "Baboon" framebuffer and Kabyl's boot. So says the very smart guy who built the machine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back