Graphics
Intel HD5000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks,

I have just setup my system using a Sapphire 5770 card using the iBoot ATI 5xxx method (Vervet) and it worked fine.

However I am waiting for delivery of the 27" Apple Cinema Display and as I had heard of problems using ACDs with non-Apple graphics cards I also ordered an Apple 5770 card.

This arrived today and I thought it would be a quick swap with the old card as they are both Radeon 5770 cards :)

BUT, now when the machine boots I see all the BIOS POST messages, then the Chameleon screen followed by the white screen with grey Apple logo, and then just when it should display the login screen the TV says "no signal" and goes black. I have tried all 3 outputs and it is the same for all of them.

I'm a complete novice at diagnosing hackintosh graphics issues, are there any wizards out there who can give me some suggestions on how to investigate this issue. I'll post progress back here if there is any.

I've heard of several different types of framebuffers, what are they exactly and how do you know which one to use with which card? Do I need to change something in my com.apple.Boot.plist perhaps?

Thanks all for any help, I would really like to get this card working.

Charlie

Edited to add the info from System Profiler:

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68b8
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
SONY TV:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 50 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes
Display Connector:

SOLVED: Apple ATI Radeon 5770

I changed the framebuffer from "Vervet" to "Hoolock" and it now works great, with QE/CI.

Find /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext
Show Package Contents...
Find the Info.plist inside and search for the "5700" section, then change all occurrences within that section of "Vervet" (or your current non-working framebuffer) to "Hoolock".
Save changes to Info.plist
Launch "Kext Helper" and drag "ATY_Init.kext" onto it, enter password, install, reboot...

Enjoy :)

so did you try to run two 5770 on OSX86?
if so, is that both of card shown in x16??

I got the exactly problem with you also.
I gonna got apple 5770 as well.

how many monitor you are running now?

Thanks

No, I'm only running one 5770 card.

Right now, I'm temporarily displaying on a 46" TV via mini displayport -> DVI adapter.

In a few weeks my Apple Cinema Display arrives and if that works OK and my system continues to be stable, then I will be retiring an old, slow iMac and replacing it with my new hack pro :)

I only need to run one monitor.

I'm just glad the Apple 5770 works OK now.

FYI, attached a couple of photos of the Apple 5770.

It is a pretty long card, and it requires a 6-pin power cable.

Attachments

• 5770a.JPG
    5770a.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 2,668
  • 5770b.jpg
    5770b.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 2,199
Find /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext

If I modified the file.
Can u still use ur old 5770 ?
I wAnna run my old 5770 as well

I've already explained what to do in my 2nd post in this thread.

Here it is again:
  • Find /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext[/*:m:1hoiacx0]
  • Show Package Contents...[/*:m:1hoiacx0]
  • Find the Info.plist inside and search for the "5700" section, then change all occurrences within that section of "Vervet" (or your current non-working framebuffer) to "Hoolock".[/*:m:1hoiacx0]
  • Save changes to Info.plist[/*:m:1hoiacx0]
  • Launch "Kext Helper" and drag "ATY_Init.kext" onto it, enter password, install, reboot...[/*:m:1hoiacx0]

I'm not an expert in framebuffers but it looks like you choose one framebuffer for all 5xxx series cards, so you might be able to use 2 cards but I think both of those cards would need to work with the same type of framebuffer. Probably best to use 2 identical cards.

Thanks
I try to modify my card today
And I will purchase the card and ACD as well

does it have to be an apple 5770? Right now Im using my 24" ACD on my 8800 GT with the gefen converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back