Contribute
Register

Apple Announces 'One More Thing' Event for November 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Johny shows the graphic below (7:20 and on in video) he says "until now" Macs had all these chips separate.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

That looks like a current Intel iMac logic board. Then the video shows all these being combined together in one SoC.
This is the final image in that sequence. An M1 chip with RGB lighting. I want that !

Screen Shot 18.jpg

Last edited:
When Johny shows the graphic below (7:20 and on in video) he says "until now" Macs had all these chips separate.

View attachment 495105

That looks like a current Intel iMac logic board. Then the video shows all these being combined together in one SoC.
This is the final image in that sequence. An M1 chip with RGB lighting. I want that !

View attachment 495106
Ok that makes sense I did not see that part of the presentation.

There's no mention of GHz anywhere...

Mac book air is already 999.00 it was on sale for students @ like 899.
... and I was wrong to hope, because it didn't change after all lol!

Don't know about your world, but in mine a $1000 laptop is not quite in the "cheap" departament, nor is it in the "affordable" ... if they launched it at $850 - now that would have been something ...

... and I was wrong to hope, because it didn't change after all lol!

Don't know about your world, but in mine a $1000 laptop is not quite in the "cheap" departament, nor is it in the "affordable" ... if they launched it at $850 - now that would have been something ...
You said sub $1000, I see $999 as sub $1000 even if it is only by a $1 and as I pointed out as a student/educator you can get it for $899. I hardly see the difference between $850 and $899 take an underwater basket weaving class and call yourself a student. You got kids? Right now most parents of kids in school get to count as an educator. I do not find $1000 for a laptop to be excessive I find it to be the norm, it is not like it is something I am or have to buy every day I do not consider it cheap but I do consider it affordable for something you rely on.

I don't have much, if any, technical knowledge in terms of hardware so as to understand why eventually we will not be able to make ARM hackintoshes. Could someone please explain this in detail, and hopefully in layman terms ??

For example what is the T chip, etc.

Things I sort of get, or think I sort of get:

I can understand that Apple going to Apple GPUs will be a huge issue, as there will be no drivers available in Apple OS for the third party GPUs we could use. Nevertheless, would Apple not need to continue making its Mac Pro expandable even if it eventually goes to ARM, leaving room for PCIe third party GPUs ?? Maybe a short list of them but I think that it could be possible. They should have learned that lesson with the Trash Can MPs.

I understand the T chip is a security chip of some sort, correct ?? Can't this security chip be imitated or cloned using an FPGA or some sort of programmable silicon ??

If Apple is going to increase core count on their ARM based CPUs, can't this be imitated using, say Raspberry Pi compute modules (line up 4 of them for example), and have it all controlled by another module or some sort of control chip ? I guess the hard/expensive part is developing a solution, rather than actually finding one. Right /Wrong ??

What else am I missing that Apple would do, or is doing to make it impossible to create a hack of the hardware to run Apple OSs ??

Please be kind !!!! Not technical here !!! Just and avid reader and hackintosh fan.

Thanks

I don't have much, if any, technical knowledge in terms of hardware so as to understand why eventually we will not be able to make ARM hackintoshes. Could someone please explain this in detail, and hopefully in layman terms ??

For example what is the T chip, etc.

Things I sort of get, or think I sort of get:

I can understand that Apple going to Apple GPUs will be a huge issue, as there will be no drivers available in Apple OS for the third party GPUs we could use. Nevertheless, would Apple not need to continue making its Mac Pro expandable even if it eventually goes to ARM, leaving room for PCIe third party GPUs ?? Maybe a short list of them but I think that it could be possible. They should have learned that lesson with the Trash Can MPs.

I understand the T chip is a security chip of some sort, correct ?? Can't this security chip be imitated or cloned using an FPGA or some sort of programmable silicon ??

If Apple is going to increase core count on their ARM based CPUs, can't this be imitated using, say Raspberry Pi compute modules (line up 4 of them for example), and have it all controlled by another module or some sort of control chip ? I guess the hard/expensive part is developing a solution, rather than actually finding one. Right /Wrong ??

What else am I missing that Apple would do, or is doing to make it impossible to create a hack of the hardware to run Apple OSs ??

Please be kind !!!! Not technical here !!! Just and avid reader and hackintosh fan.

Thanks

The T2 is an SoC in and of itself and a pretty capable one at that. Not only does it handle Secure Enclave, it also does video encoding/decoding and helps FCPX performance. Some of what the T2 can be "emulated" but I don't see how hardware video encoding/decoding can be done in software.

The Raspberry Pis use older generations of the Arm architecture and is probably missing lots of features the latest generations have. It's like trying to use a Sandy Bridge CPU to emulate a Coffee Lake CPU.

I don't want to say it'll be impossible to emulate the GPU in the M1, but I would assume it's a pretty monumental endeavor that would most likely never happen.

I thought about PCI-e too... What use would PCI-e slots be if there are no drivers for any of the cards? My guess is that the only card that may work at launch of an Arm based Mac Pro would be Apple's own Afterburner cards.

I guess if I did not already have 3 working Hackintoshes, I would buy a fully upgraded 2020 Mac Mini and call it a day. 16 GB RAM, 2 TB storage, and graphics that probably run "Heaven" and "Valley" in the 50-60 fps area would be plenty for what I do. I have always been really into the "performance per watt" parameter. And it does have that Thunderbolt 3 port...

Quinn Nelson from Snazzy Labs YT channel does an adequate job of explaining the new M1 presented in the Apple Event yesterday. He calls it a POP. I like SoC better. At the 4:25 timestamp he explains the UMA or Unified Memory Architecture.

Last edited:
Quinn Nelson from Snazzy Labs YT channel does an adequate job of explaining the SoC M1 presented in the Apple Event yesterday. He calls it a POP. I like SoC better.

saw that earlier and thought it was good, also Linus did a vid as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back