Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Deliveries might take even longer than we thought...

Yes that is what I also heard is happening in Shenzhen right now. However, Foxconn has mentioned they have extra facilities elsewhere in the country and so will be rerouting production to those places instead. So it shouldn't be affected too much (hopefully).

So it looks like the first Mac Studio has landed a little bit early in France today!

47487-92685-Mac-Studio-Order-xl.jpg

47487-92687-website2-xl.jpg

My 9900ks/5700 xt hackintosh ended up doing a lot more video editing over the past couple of years than I had expected, and I've been looking to upgrade it this year to alleviate some pain points. I was going to wait to see if I could build a Zen 4 and RDNA 2 (or better) system later this year, but I think Apple actually hit the mark for once with the Mac Studio. Especially considering my heavy work is mostly in Final Cut and Logic. I ordered the standard model Ultra version. I suspect their GPU comparisons are rather optimistic, but it'll be a good bit faster than what I have and the media and neural engines will make a big difference. Here's to hoping that transferring the NVMe drives in my hackintosh to thunderbolt enclosures will deliver a good enough experience as I wasn't going to pay for the 4TB SSD upgrade.

My 9900ks/5700 xt hackintosh ended up doing a lot more video editing over the past couple of years than I had expected, and I've been looking to upgrade it this year to alleviate some pain points. I was going to wait to see if I could build a Zen 4 and RDNA 2 (or better) system later this year, but I think Apple actually hit the mark for once with the Mac Studio. Especially considering my heavy work is mostly in Final Cut and Logic. I ordered the standard model Ultra version. I suspect their GPU comparisons are rather optimistic, but it'll be a good bit faster than what I have and the media and neural engines will make a big difference. Here's to hoping that transferring the NVMe drives in my hackintosh to thunderbolt enclosures will deliver a good enough experience as I wasn't going to pay for the 4TB SSD upgrade.
This is where I'm at, I'm hoping to to find a fast and reliable thunderbolt NVME enclosure to hold two NVME drives to add to my Mac Studio. Anyone have recommendations????

In my current hackintosh I also have a 2.5 and 3.5 HDDs that are mostly just old files that I rarely need access too so I'll likely put them in a usb 3.0 bay I already have.

With my studio I did upgrade to the 64gb GPU (was +$900 instead of 1k because of education discount). I ordered mine with a trigger finger as soon as the event ended cause I knew production/shipping time was going to take a while. I've since questioned this upgrade since reading up on the GPU difference and the type of animation/3D I typically do I probably wouldn't notice the difference from the Ultras stock 48gb GPU.... I'm considering cancelling my order and ordering again, but then I would have to wait an additional month to get my system... $900 is alot!

This is probably one of the reasons why Apple brought back the SD card slot on the new Macbook Pro (for example). It was a highly used and valued function (especially for photographers/videographers) and taking it out really hit a nerve ...
Can we expect the return of the 3.5mm audio jack on iPhones? ;)

I don’t think Mac Studio will be the end of Hackintosh. The future macOS versions will enforce Hackintosh users on buying a Mac or completely giving up.

Haven't used this specific model but have used other products that Sabrent makes. This does require a large external power brick to function.
That's the model I ordered. I have two matching SN750 drives I intend to run in software Raid 0. My understanding from reviews is that the enclosure bifurcates the slots to be x2 lanes each, so Raid 0 gets me back to x4 Gen3 speeds with a single large volume to edit from. Of course, I won't be testing it properly until my Mac Studio arrives late next month.

Back