Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Enquiring minds want to know!
He's already given us some hints about the specs. M1 Max - 64GBs of Unified Memory and a 2TB NVMe. Very wise choices for the longer term. No more bottlenecks anywhere. The fastest ram and NVMe you can get in any consumer focused computer, a massive amount of Vram for the GPU, really spectacular. Too bad it's taking 10 weeks to get delivered.

Last edited:
I just got mine MacBook Pro 16 configured with M1 Pro / 32G unified memory / 16cores GPU / 1T Rom
And I have to say I'm totally blown away...

I connected to a 4K external monitor, run Win11 Arm VM, 2 browsers with multiple tabs, 4K Youtube video playing and playing StarCraft 2 under Rosetta 2 in foreground.
The CPU load just never passed 50%, the fans refuse to spin and the chassis is just at body temp...
I mean how is this even possible...nothing on x86 side is even close.
My old but not so old XPS 9570 almost died by just opening StarCraft 2 with nothing in the background.

That said, I cannot imagine how ridiculous M1 Ultra can be...

M1 Max, 32 GPU cores, 64GB, 2TB. The $200 to upgrade from 24 to 32 GPU cores seemed like a no brainer to me.
Solid choices, something to really look forward to!

s
M1 Max, 32 GPU cores, 64GB, 2TB. The $200 to upgrade from 24 to 32 GPU cores seemed like a no brainer to me.
nice! The demand for these is nuts I ordered mine within 30 minutes of the apple event ending and mine is scheduled to be delivered between April20th-27th. I know some of the upgrades had each added a week or two.

What's more ... That three-pin power connector is way bigger than the figure-of-eight two-pin the M1 Mac Mini came with, implying a much beefier power supply in there. Another pointer to the "magic" aura of AS ARM slipping a little as they too seem to need large amounts of input power.
We already know there's a 370 W PSU in there. One wants that grounded.
If the M1 Ultra uses 250-300 W under load, that's just enough to have a few bus-powered devices attached.

We also already know how the M1 Max performs in a Mac Book Pro. The Studio Max may perform a little above that if even the 16" Mac Book Pro is thermally limited, but probably not much above.
The Studio Ultra cannot perform better than twice the Studio Max/MBP Max. Benchmarks and user reports will tell us how close to this cap the Ultra actually achieves.
Either way, that's a lot of computing power for under 370 W. But anyone who expects that the magic of Apple Silicon allows for workstation-class performance powered by a handful of LR6 batteries is obviously the victim of some lingering "reality distortion field".

Edit: Apple actually has an animation showing intake from the bottom and exhaust by two large and tall blower fans.

Last edited:
We already know there's a 370 W PSU in there. One wants that grounded.
If the M1 Ultra uses 250-300 W under load, that's just enough to have a few bus-powered devices attached.

We also already know how the M1 Max performs in a Mac Book Pro. The Studio Max may perform a little above that if even the 16" Mac Book Pro is thermally limited, but probably not much above.
The Studio Ultra cannot perform better than twice the Studio Max/MBP Max. Benchmarks and user reports will tell us how close to this cap the Ultra actually achieves.
Either way, that's a lot of computing power for under 370 W. But anyone who expects that the magic of Apple Silicon allows for workstation-class performance powered by a handful of LR6 batteries is obviously the victim of some lingering "reality distortion field".

Edit: Apple actually has an animation showing intake from the bottom and exhaust by two large and tall blower fans.

100W or more is devoted to servicing the charging capability through USB-C

I am not well informed on details of M1 TDP but my vague recollection is that where Intel has a 60W envelope for cache-core complex, which can be boosted to 220W when overclocked, then a top GPU adds 200-300W, Apple gets the similar performance to overclock Intel with a 30W cache-core plus 30W GPU x2 for Ultra, so 150W.

We can look this up, it's on Apples brag sheet.

Whatever the numbers, they've engineered power / cooling to fit into a specific form-factor and made sure that balance is up to snuff.

Intel plays marketing games about the same concerns, rooting their kit in a sane TDP for total system package then unleashing or "unlock"ing or "boost"ing to allow enthusiasts (gamers) to make their systems very unreliable in exchange for performance on entertainment content and bragging rights. That approach is wasteful, but it has allowed the industry to learn a lot about the upper reaches of the performance, power, reliability tradeoffs. Maybe Apple stands on Intel's shoulders here? Idk

The key WRT Mac is that Apple, being a vertical integrator, and now a total system designer, has to take responsibility for the whole stack, whereas over on enthusiast PC planet (gamer custom builds) there's cat herding and buck-passing, which is great for revenue thanks to churn.

Back to Mac Studio: We know that whatever power-supply is in the Studio, it's been engineered to fit the application by a company that precisely knows the design limits because it did the entire design.

This happens for PCs too, it's not special, it's known as engineering. But the sort of PC used to make hackintoshes is a gamer PC, and due to the flamboyant nature enthusiast PC and of gaming kit, there's naturally going be some excitement in this crowd when we see a properly engineered system Lol

Forgive me, I became a snarky jerk :) But only to make the point, the power-supply will have been engineered to fit, and you can add up the components. I think the Ultra counts for no more than 150W peak. Someone please correct this.

... anyone who expects that the magic of Apple Silicon allows for workstation-class performance powered by a handful of LR6 batteries ...

What?! You mean it can't? Doh! :lol:

My point was that - I've owned an M1 Mac Mini and it was just as powerful day-to-day as my PC Hack. It was tiny, cold and silent running from a tiddly PSU. That is the "magic" I was referring to!

I don't think I'm inhabiting a "reality distortion field", just pointing out an actual reality.

:)

I'm happy the power supply is internal and they didn't use "power bricks" instead. I remember the original Mac minis had power bricks almost as large as the Mac mini itself.

Although those power bricks were reliable, I was always concerned about the lack of cooling.

I am really liking the prices. Much more affordable for the M1Ultra than for the last Mac Pro and he Ultra beats the hell out of it in performance. Possibly the new Mac Pro alluded to in the presentation "for another day" will have a price decrease for once!

Back