Contribute
Register

Aorus gaming 5 dual nvidia GPU - is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 z370
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
I already have a hackintosh with an Aorus gaming 5 and a single nvidia 1080 ti.
I've recently started to work in redshift which is a GPU renderer so I started wondering if my setup could benefit from a second 1080 Ti.

Is it something easy to set up? Does my MOBO support 2 gpus with no limitation?
I'm a real noob in this hackintosh world, so accept my apologies if my questions are too trivial!

Go for it. Your rendering speed will double. You can freely run 4 GPUs at once. I'm running 3 at the moment.

Fantastic!
I was wondering about power consumption.
My PSU is a Corsair RM750X so it outputs up to 750W, will that be ok for 2x 1080 ti and the i7-8086K?
CPU load seems pretty low when rendering through GPU, so I don't think there will be scenarios where each GPU and CPU will be drawing max power

Your PSU will be enough. I also have 750W running overclocked 8700K + 3 GPUs. I'm often rendering on two while working on third one without issue.

This is great! I've just installed the second gpu and it seems to work just fine in c4d with redshift.
I'm encountering a minor issue with OS graphic elements, like notification badges on app icons are transparent and have some artifacts... Any idea?

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 10.33.59.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 10.14.16.png

Edit: Applications like davinci resolve got very slow, its interface is laggy now and is not using the second GPU while rendering.
Is there anything I can do to fix this behaviour? If I can't I think I'll revert to my single gpu setup

Last edited:
I suspect system definition plays a role in this... Some applications recognize the 2 gpus, but most don't.
I see the 2 gpus in istat pro menu bars and in redshift, but I don't see any in photoshop, LuxMark only recognizes one, while sys information actually sees both.
Beep, may I ask you what system definition you are running?

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 14.49.26.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 14.44.48.png

I'm using iMac 18.3 system definition. I'm still on Sierra. Maybe that's an issue. I've tried High Sierra but i was not that smooth as Sierra and you had to use specific drivers as the latest one are very buggy and break OpenGL apps.

Luxmark uses all my GPUs. Photoshop uses only one no matter what system you are using. Mostly 3d renderers, video editing and mining software uses multiple GPUs.

Edit: Applications like davinci resolve got very slow, its interface is laggy now and is not using the second GPU while rendering.
Is there anything I can do to fix this behaviour? If I can't I think I'll revert to my single gpu setup

Davinci uses multiple GPU's only with pro version. Choose the one which is not connected to the monitor.
upload_2018-12-21_20-45-6.png

Davinci uses multiple GPU's only with pro version. Choose the one which is not connected to the monitor.
View attachment 374204
I do have the Studio (pro) version, but still, I think my mac is experiencing a broader problem.
I would prefer not to go back to sierra as that would be a bit too time consuming... Do you think there's anything else I could experiment with?

What Nvidia driver version are you using? From my experience last drivers for High Sierra are quite buggy. I would recommend going back to 378.10.10.10.25.106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back