Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just been looking at these:
http://twelvesouth.com/products/hirise_imac/

I reckon they could be easily turned into a stunning little iTX case.

Take a look at the website. It is a stand for the iMAc but the dimensions are great for an iTX build, it has a little re-positionable shelf that could be drilled to add mobo standoffs, and you could sling a dvd drive or whatever underneath it, nice little perforated front and back and a good place at the back to just feed your cables in and out.

Make your computer on the tray and just slide it in....job done and it looks like a tiny Mac Pro.

Someone do it please. I have too many projects already.

Attachments

• twelvesouth_hiriseimac_harddrive_hires.jpg
    twelvesouth_hiriseimac_harddrive_hires.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 225
Sorry No, but I agree very interesting case and not to expensive. Couple of thoughts, turned on it side it could pass for a PowerMac like device, not sure how sturdy this would be.

Also the tray could be used as a very effective cooling partition. By cutting a hole for CPU fan to poke through, so upper internal area would act as air intake, ensuring virtually no recirculation of air inside the case.

Sorry No, but I agree very interesting case and not to expensive. Couple of thoughts, turned on it side it could pass for a PowerMac like device, not sure how sturdy this would be.

Also the tray could be used as a very effective cooling partition. By cutting a hole for CPU fan to poke through, so upper internal area would act as air intake, ensuring virtually no recirculation of air inside the case.

Cutting for a top fan is a good idea.

I like the front being just held on by tiny magnets too - it'd make a really good little no cut mod!

If I was in the market for a ready made case I think this would be on my shopping list.

Don't think a side mount would be an easy option on this though as the little handle like features on the side are just styling elements and the front would just fall off probably if it was turned that way.

With the anodised finish and the perforations it would make a nice alternative to the plastic cases you see around for similar or higher prices.

Take a look at the website. It is a stand for the iMAc but the dimensions are great for an iTX build, it has a little re-positionable shelf that could be drilled to add mobo standoffs, and you could sling a dvd drive or whatever underneath it, nice little perforated front and back and a good place at the back to just feed your cables in and out.

Make your computer on the tray and just slide it in....job done and it looks like a tiny Mac Pro.

Nice find, but I already have two finished Hacks and one in progress here... ;)

MacTester

Yes. This is a neat case. However in my book it is way over priced. If one were going to do an Intel NUC hack, this would sure be an interesting starting point.

And I find myself with more to do then I can complete in a timely manner and the release of Haswell is almost upon us which I am sure that I will need to be into early on.

Good hacking,
neil

If you had an apple monitor and an Intel NUC you could just put the NUC inside of it an call it a day.

If you had an apple monitor and an Intel NUC you could just put the NUC inside of it an call it a day.

Yes, it is pretty much that simple.

I guess in the end it's just not challenging enough!

By the way, I was not seriously trying to persuade someone to do this mod. I just thought it looked like a nice little product that could easily be adapted to make a cute little case which is an alternative to the other boxes out there. Plus of course it looks like a Mac...

I dug up this one because I'm seriously thinking of modding the HiRise. I think it looks gorgeous.

My plan is to fit everything inside: mobo+CPU, PSU even a dGPU if possible!

The case price is steep indeed but... but... just look at it! I'm about to order one... Please push me towards it :p

I dug up this one because I'm seriously thinking of modding the HiRise. I think it looks gorgeous.

My plan is to fit everything inside: mobo+CPU, PSU even a dGPU if possible!

The case price is steep indeed but... but... just look at it! I'm about to order one... Please push me towards it :p

Are you planning to use a Haswell "thin" mini-ITX motherboard? If yes, have you chosen one? This case is very attractive and will be an interesting hack. Please share your project with its' own thread.

Good modding,
neil

Are you planning to use a Haswell "thin" mini-ITX motherboard? If yes, have you chosen one? This case is very attractive and will be an interesting hack. Please share your project with its' own thread.

Good modding,
neil

After a lot of thinking I chose a standard mini-ITX motherboard for one main reason: thin mini-ITX boards have crippled PCIe slots: only 4x speed and only 25w of power.

I have already begun my planning and ordered the first few parts, build log online!

Thanks for the support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back