Contribute
Register

Any way of building a Hackingtosh without access to an Intel Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 8200 rev 0
CPU
Intel core I5-2400 @ 3.1 Ghz
Graphics
Nvidia Gt210
Hi,
I have a power pc mac, an early G4, but there are various roadblocks that prevent me from getting a copy of intel OSX, not least the version of Safari that it has not recognising various new Apple urls.

<Cut>
I have removed the original question 1 as this was pointed out to break forum rules. I would like to thanks the mods who did so. And apologise for my ignorance.

</cut>

So second question - If I built a Hackmini what would the benefit of adding a graphics card be? Would it be the same as adding one in a PC?

Final Q: If I find a motherboard with say short PCI-e slots as well as the main one would these be usable in OSX provided I plugged in compatible hardware? I'm thinking of adding a firewire 800 card if possible so I can use an old external firewire drive I have knocking around.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
There are various USB sticks on Ebay and Amazon that say they have intel OSX versions on them, but I am wary as there is no guarantee that these will not also have a nasty surprise hidden on them or if not that that they will actually work -other than if they did not the seller would be marked as bad by other folk (?). There are also DVDs that ebayers have made of things like Snow Leopard etc with I guess the same caviate.

So question 1. Has anyone had success building a Hackingtosh using one of these USBs/DVDs from Ebay/Amazon etc. and how did you do it? Just buy the thing and follow the instructions on this site or was there other stuff you had to do?
Piracy is piracy whether you do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you and the mere mention of it is enough to get your account here banned.

See this guide.

Hi,
I have a power pc mac, an early G4, but there are various roadblocks that prevent me from getting a copy of intel OSX, not least the version of Safari that it has not recognising various new Apple urls.

There are various USB sticks on Ebay and Amazon that say they have intel OSX versions on them, but I am wary as there is no guarantee that these will not also have a nasty surprise hidden on them or if not that that they will actually work -other than if they did not the seller would be marked as bad by other folk (?). There are also DVDs that ebayers have made of things like Snow Leopard etc with I guess the same caviate.

So question 1. Has anyone had success building a Hackingtosh using one of these USBs/DVDs from Ebay/Amazon etc. and how did you do it? Just buy the thing and follow the instructions on this site or was there other stuff you had to do?
Those Ebay sellers are illegally re-distributing and profiting from Apple software that they have no rights to. Ebay should be taking them down but they rarely do. It's a lottery whether you'd get one that even works or was properly made. As far as getting your money back when it doesn't, good luck.

You can easily buy an HP desktop and Snow Leopard DVD to get full App Store access legally. You can then resell it with Windows installed or keep it and run any version of OS X/macOS on it. They sell for as little as 50 USD on Ebay.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...profile-the-ulb-customac.230056/#post-1566950

Just did TRS96's HP 6200 build, works a treat! Try that path!

Firstly please accept my apologies. I have removed the offending question, unfortunately the quotes still hold it. I have no intention of using something that is not genuine so will look out for the retail Snow Leopard. There are some on Amazon so I hope they are the genuine article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back