Contribute
Register

Any advices on my Mac PRO (and first) build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX Lion
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I would love your advice on the following build I'm trying to figure out. The aim of this thing is to replace and be better than my high end (standard version) 2010 iMAc, good for windows gaming and fast for digital photography on macosx.

Here it is:
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K
Motherboard: GA-Z68XP-UD3
GFX card: AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac OSX HDD: OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
Windows HD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
RAm: 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
Stockage HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s
Power unit: Corsair 650watt 
Case: Pending (any sleek recommendations?)

Price wise, I would like to drop some dollars from this, but I could manage with this build (not more!)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

forcabarca said:
Hey guys,

I would love your advice on the following build I'm trying to figure out. The aim of this thing is to replace and be better than my high end (standard version) 2010 iMAc, good for windows gaming and fast for digital photography on macosx.

Here it is:

Price wise, I would like to drop some dollars from this, but I could manage with this build (not more!)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

If you want a cheaper build, will you consider, say, a 2500K instead of the 2600K?

Otherwise the hardware looks OK and you are good to go once you get a case.

forcabarca said:
Hey guys,

Here it is:

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Very similar to my Hack#1. :headbang:
As for case, I'm using an Antec and also it's corresponding giant/quiet Antec PSU 850W
I don't see a cpu cooler listed on your BOM. Are you going to use the stock cooler?
You'll love the 2600K. I'm running at 4.2Ghz, geekbench score of 15,033 cinebench 59fps.

[/quote]

As for case, I'm using an Antec and also it's corresponding giant/quiet Antec PSU 850W
I don't see a cpu cooler listed on your BOM. Are you going to use the stock cooler?
You'll love the 2600K. I'm running at 4.2Ghz, geekbench score of 15,033 cinebench 59fps.[/quote]

Wow, pretty nice hack you've got yourself there! Indeed, I aim something similar!

I'm actually between the Antec Solo 2 or the Antec P183 (like yours). Does anyone know of a noticeable difference in specs?

Also, I'm a noob on this so regarding the cpu cooler? Where is the stock? (sorry for the dumb question) What would you suggest if I need more? Why would I need more? LOL

Thanks guys

forcabarca said:
You'll love the 2600K. I'm running at 4.2Ghz, geekbench score of 15,033 cinebench 59fps.

Wow, pretty nice hack you've got yourself there! Indeed, I aim something similar!

I'm actually between the Antec Solo 2 or the Antec P183 (like yours). Does anyone know of a noticeable difference in specs?

Also, I'm a noob on this so regarding the cpu cooler? Where is the stock? (sorry for the dumb question) What would you suggest if I need more? Why would I need more? LOL

Thanks guys

The CPU comes with a cooler in the pack, referred to as the stock cooler. This is serviceable, but not as good as others you can buy separately (referred to as aftermarket coolers). If you are going to overclock or perform CPU intensive tasks with your computer, it is highly recommended you buy a better cooler.

Noticeable? Well, the physical size and cost (3x more expensive) :)

But here's why I picked the P183, for the following reasons.

1. The Look - I don't want anything looking juvenile, like a riceboy, or looking garrish.

2. Features - nice little touches here and there.... anti-vibration damping hard disk holders, fan holders, built-in hidden case for tools/screws, easy pull-out hard drive cage, open rear motherboard plate (don't have to remove mobo to install new cpu fan), compartmentalize PSU section (so the heat from the PSU don't spread to the mobo/cpu).-- plenty of video reviews on youtube to watch.

3. Size - if you plan on using a 6870 card, you want a roomy case. If you plan on overclocking (and you should if you're buying a 2600K), then you want space for a big fan/heatsink.

4. Silent - reviewers have noted it's "quiet" feature. While it's not dead-silent like a Mac, it's almost there. Certainly the quietest "PC box" in my home office.

5. Open back frame - see photo below. Easy installation/removal of cpu cooler. Nice wiring management.

Unboxing...
build1.jpg

Photo without video card and cpu installed yet.
build14.jpg

Wire management, everything behind the mobo, so it's very clean looking no obstruction with coollng, helps with cooling too.
build24.jpg

Now, if this convinces you to buy the P183 case, then there's no excuse not to get the matching PSU designed for this case! It's an 850-watt monster, quiet little monster too and very capable. Modular wiring. -- again check out the video reviews.

This is the matching PSU for this case.
build6.jpg

Compare to a "normal" size PSU, you can see the difference here. The plate adapter on the case is for using normal size PSUs.

build7.jpg

re: CPU Coolers
As someone said, the "small" stock cooler will be fine.... but since you're buying a 2600K (unlocked), and paying extra for it, why not overclock it? you can overclock it to 4.2, 4.3Ghz, and some people do it at a crazy 4.7Ghz. It's made to do that!

Here's what an aftermarket cooler looks like, this is a Noctua (again, the reviews are very good for it's efficiency and quietness).
build16.jpg

The whole enchilada... comes with 2 fans, thermal paste, anti-vibration dampening rubber strips for fans, etc...
build15.jpg

Again, I'm running overclocked at 4.2Ghz, scoring 15,000+, 59 frames per second, and having good temperature readings (right now, in use temps of 36-37C.... when pushing it hard, will hit 59C, sometimes 72C, depending on ambient temp.)

Hope this helps!!!

Attachments

• build1.jpg
    build1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 425
  • build14.jpg
    build14.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 424
  • build24.jpg
    build24.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 432
  • build6.jpg
    build6.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 429
  • build7.jpg
    build7.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 423
  • build16.jpg
    build16.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 447
  • build15.jpg
    build15.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 426
1st Build:
- Coolmaster Case w/ led lights
- 3.29 GSz Intel Core i5
- 16 GB DDR3 Corsiar RAM
- 5.TB HDD - 2 X 2TB HDD and 1.5TB HDD
- GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 (F9)

Thanks Tonymac - this works like a charm... Much Mahaloz...

This is picture of my build...

Total cost - $1150 w/ all the hard drives.

Purchased all from NewEgg except for a single 2TB HDD and the HPdvd1260 DVD drive.

Sorry these are the pictures of my 1st Build.....

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back