Contribute
Register

Any advices on my Mac PRO (and first) build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your experience is reassuring! All I want is to have a stable system. I can deal with some annoying tinkering for the setup, but if at the end I end up with a buggy system, I rather keep a MAc (that's why I switched from windows LOL).

I had one question regarding components:
Are these SSDs good for osx installation?
- OCZ Vertex 2 (instead of agility)
- Crucial RealSSD C300

Thanks!

I've been thinking about all this and it's decided, I'm selling the iMac and will be building a hack pro!

Now I just need to find an used apple led or thunderbolt cinema display and decide on a main SSD...

Thanks guys for the help!

Good luck! I dont have any experience with SSD so no help from me there.

You may want to build your hack first before selling, so you can create the necessary boot discs, etc...

BTW, I also switched from PC to Mac back in '05. I just couldn't stand anymore all the problems I have on Windows, always praying it wouldn't crash while in the middle of a project/deadline, and I'm just too much worried about viruses.

Hey guys,
I'm bringing this old thread back to life as I finally sold my iMac (very hard) and I'm ready to order all the components and build my hack this week!

Here is the final list:
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z68XP-UD3 (Rev 1.3)
Graphics card Sapphire - ATI Radeon HD6870 - 1024 Mo GDRR5 - PCI-Express
Main HDD (mac and windows) OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
RAM Corsair - CMZ16GX3M4A1600?C9B -RAM - DDR3 1600 - 16 Go COR CL9 Vengeance Blue Kit4
Secondary HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 2 To
Case ANTEC Performance One P183 V3
Power supply Antec CP-850
Cooler NH-U12P? ( Socket 775, Socket 1156, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket 1366, Socket AM3 )
CD ROOM Sony - AD-7260S-0B
USB KEY SanDisk Cruzer Blade -16 Go

The total should be slightly over 1200 Euros...

What do you guys think? Any compatibility risks?

Thanks for your help!

forcabarca said:
Hey guys,
I'm bringing this old thread back to life as I finally sold my iMac (very hard) and I'm ready to order all the components and build my hack this week!

Here is the final list:
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z68XP-UD3 (Rev 1.3)
Graphics card Sapphire - ATI Radeon HD6870 - 1024 Mo GDRR5 - PCI-Express
Main HDD (mac and windows) OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
RAM Corsair - CMZ16GX3M4A1600?C9B -RAM - DDR3 1600 - 16 Go COR CL9 Vengeance Blue Kit4
Secondary HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 2 To
Cooler NH-U12P? ( Socket 775, Socket 1156, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket 1366, Socket AM3 )
CD ROOM Sony - AD-7260S-0B
USB KEY SanDisk Cruzer Blade -16 Go

The total should be slightly over 1200 Euros...

What do you guys think? Any compatibility risks?

Thanks for your help!

Make sure the sapphire 6870 has the default layout of 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 2 miniDP. The 850w psu is overkill...a 600w range model is more than enough. Make sure the corsair ram heatsinks don't interfere with your noctua cooler. Corsair makes a low profile model as well. Everything else looks good.

It may be overkill, but it's specifically made for the P183 case. It's non-standard size. This case and this PSU makes for a killer, quiet, roomy combo. -- I have both.

powerpcg5 said:
It may be overkill, but it's specifically made for the P183 case. It's non-standard size. This case and this PSU makes for a killer, quiet, roomy combo. -- I have both.

Ah, ok...wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for the replies!

I've heard about the low profile thing, but to be honest, idon't know what it means! What is the difference? Can you link me a low profile version to see the difference?

For the PSU i indeed saw that they were made for each other... Will check for the GFX card!

Thanks guys!

forcabarca said:
Thanks for the replies!

I've heard about the low profile thing, but to be honest, idon't know what it means! What is the difference? Can you link me a low profile version to see the difference?

For the PSU i indeed saw that they were made for each other... Will check for the GFX card!

Thanks guys!

Ram looks like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233196

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back