Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170-A
CPU
I5-6500
Graphics
GTX770
Hi everyone. My name is Chris from Italy, a couple of weeks ago I, unfortunately, had to sell my Hackintosh. Now i am building another one but i have a very tight budget. The specifications of the system are:
Asus P5KPL-AM (G31/ICH7) https://www.asus.com/my/Motherboards/P5KPLAM/
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (supports SSE4.1), Bought for €7,59
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB, (Kepler), Bought the 4GB for €55,00 but got this...
I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 with no major problems. I would like to run at least Catalina 10.15.4 (For xcode 12), but i am unable to boot any Catalina installer. I always get the prohibition symbol after 2,3 or 4 "HID: Legacy shim 2".
I attach the working High Sierra 10.13.6 EFI.
I hope someone can help me. I need this for school and using macOS on a VM is painfully slow.

Attachments

• EFIHS.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 303
Booting Catalina with High Sierra EFI verbose log, before prohibition symbol appears
1AA16FCF-53CB-430A-9EEF-6CBCB6278A83.jpeg

Hi there,

Ambitious build you have there! By ambitious I mean ‘good luck’ - you
are going to need it because the Q8200 is largely unsupported, especially at Catalina level.

But if there’s any tips to suggest, you could perhaps try this guide which I came across. I think you have a good chance of getting it working > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...l-working-asus-p5g41t-ml-x-with-q8300.297814/
Thank you for tour reply. He got luck, i already replaced the telemetry file by creating the installer with the dosdude1 catalina pather and added the telemetrap.kext on clover.
After some thinkering i managed to successuflly boot the installer, but unfortunately catalinarecovery couldn’t see any sata drive, probably because i am using an ICH7B controller.
I read that this can be fixed this by copying the “IOATAFamily.kext” (which includes AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext) file from S/L/E of Mojave to the clover kext folder and Catalina should see the sata drives. In my case adding this kext results in Catalina recovery not finishing booting and rebooting my system :/ (without AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext it boots fine)

Attachments

• 77BF8567-DD0B-4E04-9452-555D47BAAB0A.jpeg
    77BF8567-DD0B-4E04-9452-555D47BAAB0A.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 84
Thank you for tour reply. He got luck, i already replaced the telemetry file by creating the installer with the dosdude1 catalina pather and added the telemetrap.kext on clover.
After some thinkering i managed to successuflly boot the installer, but unfortunately catalinarecovery couldn’t see any sata drive, probably because i am using an ICH7B controller.
I read that this can be fixed this by copying the “IOATAFamily.kext” (which includes AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext) file from S/L/E of Mojave to the clover kext folder and Catalina should see the sata drives. In my case adding this kext results in Catalina recovery not finishing booting and rebooting my system :/ (without AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext it boots fine)
I setted the monitor to overdrive the panel and i am trying to make a slow motion of the display to see more crearly the error but it seems to be a kernel panic

Have you set your BIOS's mode to AHCI and is it possible to do?
No, i have an ICH7B southbridge, which does not support AHCI. But since mojave works just fine i am pretty sure catalina can too.
My current setting are:
ATA/IDE Configuration: Enhanced
Enhanced mode Support On: S-ATA

i managed to pull out a frame from the slow motion and yes, it is a kernel panic. I am kinda stuck now. I also tried to kextunload the catalina IOATAFamily.kext but the terminal on the recovery gives me an error. I tried to kextload the mojave IOATAFamily.kext and it also gives me a permission/usererror. Tried “chmod 111” and “chown _windowserver” but the file system does not allow r/w. I am kinda stuck there.

is it possible to remove the IOATAFamily.kext inside the BaseSystem.dmg inside the “Install MacOS Catalina.app”?

Attachments

• 9A62F0D0-7CCC-43B6-AAEA-C7DFC924774E.jpeg
    9A62F0D0-7CCC-43B6-AAEA-C7DFC924774E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
I see. Well that might be a problem because one thing I heard with Catalina is that it now tends to ONLY allow NVMe access which is probably why you are struggling with the drives. Also probably AHCI is now stipulated, it is harder to make it accessible with SATA in general.

You could try using an external USB case and install it that way? I heard somebody's used this method with some success.

As for the file I'm not sure what to do about the kext inside the DMG. You could perhaps try to remove it using Charlesoft's Pacifist? I think that's the only package I could think of that does this.

I see. Well that might be a problem because one thing I heard with Catalina is that it now tends to ONLY allow NVMe access which is probably why you are struggling with the drives. Also probably AHCI is now stipulated, it is harder to make it accessible with SATA in general.

You could try using an external USB case and install it that way? I heard somebody's used this method with some success.

As for the file I'm not sure what to do about the kext inside the DMG. You could perhaps try to remove it using Charlesoft's Pacifist? I think that's the only package I could think of that does this.
I found a sata to usb adapter and installed catalina on the hdd successfully (or, at least the first part of the installation).
Now i have to boot from the hdd to continue the installation. Clover does not see it, i reconnected it via sata. Now the boot is stuck at:
“apfs_moduel_start: 1689: Load: com.apple.filesystems.apfs, v1412.141.1, apfs -1412.141.1, 2020/8/31”
Searching on google this gives me some compatible results, ill try to resolve it today or tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back