Gigabyte GTX 770 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Folks!

I used this forum a lot! :thumbup: That's why I what to share my build and my experiences with you!

Around Christmas ,I bought and build my Hack. I used the following components:
- Mainboard: GA Z87X UD5H
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (CML16GX3M2A1600C10) - 16GB for the moment ;-)
- CPU-Cooling: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2
- CPU: Intel 4770K
- Graphics: GA GTX 770 with 4GB
- Bluetooth: USB-Dongle from IO-Gear 4.0
- Firewire: Syba PCIe Firewire 800 Card
- Housing: Cooler Master Selencio 550 (wide enough for the Dark Rock Pro)
- Cooling: Editional Be Quiet Coolers inside the housing (2x 120mm Silent Wings 2 PWM, 1x 140mm Silent Wings 2 PWM)
- Power Supply: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W
- HDD for OS X: 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
- HDD for Storage: 1x Western Digital SE 3TB - for the moment ;-)​

My BIOS Settings:

IMG_1719.jpg IMG_1720.jpg IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg IMG_1723.jpg IMG_1724.jpg IMG_1725.jpg IMG_1726.jpg

- The RAM speed of 1600MHz had to be enabled
- I didn't overclock yet
- Boot settings: The Card Reader of the Case had to be disabled. Caused the 4-times "Read Error" message at booting. This does seem to have any further effects, and as soon as I rebooted with, for example my Firewire HDD's online, the boot options edit automatically and the message comes again - but I don't care, because I put my Hack to sleep mostly instead of reboot - I will write about it later
- Intel Virtualizaton Technology is disabled, don't know why, read this in some other builds
- Initial display is set to PCIe 1, where my GTX 770 is at home. I set this at the first boot. I didn't deactivate the onboard GPU - is working perfectly!
- When I had the onboard Firewire deactivated, the syba PCIe firewire 800 card didn't work! Since this is active the syba is also working perfectly!
- I put the onboard graphic memory to 1024, to get Airplay working - i also had to try some system infers at MultiBeast to the airplay working. Airplay works, but sometimes the audio is not synced correctly!!
- XHCI and EHCI have to be enabled - i read in some other build!
- I disabled all SATA-ports i don't use and i disabled the marvell data-controller
- I disabled the ISCT and the IO-Super Chip - just out of my feeling to disable everything i don't need ;-)
- Finally the "wake on LAN" has to be disabled - i read in other builds.

Thats it! Like this (some playing and trying included ;-) ) thats how my hack is running from the first boot on!

I had troubles with:

- in first instance with my Bluetooth! The IO GEAR USB dongle i bought didn't connect to the Apple TrackPad. I tried a lot and set up the whole hack some times....i always get the same result!! In the System Information, the Bluetooth was there and identified but the status of the Bluetooth was "Available = NO" - Ii had no idea how to set this to YES! Then I read a buyers comment on amazon, who bought 20 of this dongles and recognized that 4 of his 20 where damaged out of the box! That was the hint I needed - bought a new one - everything is working now!! I set up my Hack so often for this.... ;-)
The only issue with Bluetooth which is still alive! At every reboot i have to disable the bluetooth and enable it again - other ways just some of the TrackPad geysers are recognized! That's why my hack is mostly just sleeping.

- That's one of the next points! Sleeping. Go to sleep is not always easy, like a kid! sometimes when i set my Hack so sleep, the monitor is sleeping immediately but the Hack keeps on working! Sometimes he decides to sleep...I don't know why and i cannot reproduce this yet. Thats why i plan to buy a wakom board soon - so i have always another input device plugged in, witch i really need (i don't need a second mouse next to the TrackPad), and so a can do the Bluetooth switch off and on at every reboot easily ;-)

- I i wrote above, i had an issue with the Syba Firewire card. but when i switched the onboard firewire on, it surprisingly worked!! I switched the onboard on, because i capitulated and wanted to start using the onboard Firewire - but this is just a Firewire 400...i already had a self build onboard-backUSB adapter installed ;-) But through this way i got the Firewire 800 card to work!!

My Multibeast Settings you can find as an Attachment!

Something else I tried:

I also tried the UEFI-BIOS Hackintosh setup where the whole modifications to run OS X are put into the BIOS. A friend of mine (GA-Z77X) got this to work perfectly, but with my setup it didn't work...maybe there is a possibility to create a "Multi-UEFI-Beast"... ;-) But that's not my profession! For this we would need some cracks! :idea:

Some Pics of my stuff:

IMG_1416.jpgIMG_1417.jpg

Finaly:

I bought the EIZO FlexScan 27" - great Disply I use via the Displayport on my GTX - works fine! ;-)
When my bank account is rehabilitated i will ad some more of the Vengeance RAM and i have to ad some HDD's.
At the moment i wonder if i use mirrored HDD's in my mac and a second backup outside (at the moment WD-MyBook Firewire HDD's) or just single HDD's inside and a Synology-Diskstation for backup outside... I what to avoid a batch of firewire HDD's on my window-bench! And the Synology seems to have some more benefits...

Because I use some final cut pro X and some Aperture my disk space is always getting rare!

If you have some hints, questions or just what to comment my build - don't hesitate to comment this thread!

Greetings from Austria!!
Andreas

Attachments

• Andy's Haswell i7 #2 - 16122013.mb
    5.8 KB · Views: 293
thank you for your write up its very informative as I have the same mobo now. I keep getting a kernel panic when trying to boot from my unibeast stick and the error is one I've never seen before its "a creed zone element has been modified: expected 0xdeadbeefdeadbeef but found 0xdeadbeef88098809, bits changed 0x56a436e6, at offset 48 of 64 in zone: malloc.64"@/sourcecasche/xnu/xnu-2422.90."

My unibeast stick is on mavericks 10.9.2

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

sanyi83,
I kept getting the same kernel panic too. I messed with the settings, new USB, crying... but I still get stuck. Now it says something about unable to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist and com.Deepseasoftware.driver etc... any help is appreciate. Been at this for days!IMG_3641.jpg

whats strange is I have an old 10.8.5 boot stick which pulls the system up no problem. I wonder if unibeast needs an update.

sanyi83 & r0ughnecks,
I recommend you post your problem in the UniBeast forum section, not here. http://www.tonymacx86.com/unibeast/ Please read the two sticky threads before posting as they contain troubleshooting information.

Hi!

I am having some serious problem with a similar build.
The system freezes when I am using FCPX or Luxmark. Luxmark only freezes when I test both the CPU and GPU or the CPU only.
I tried clover and chameleon installs, nvidia driver, IGPU enabled, disabled and almost every bios settings. Same happened. With clover it also restarts.

Crash log: http://pastebin.com/DaPwggqm

Parts
Motherboard: Z87X-UD5H (tried both F9 and F10C)
CPU: I7-4790
GPU: Gigabyte GTX760
Mem: 16GB Corsair (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)
PSU: Corsair cs650m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back