Contribute
Register

AMD RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All. Wanted to make a quick, simple note that the MSI RX580 MK2 OC (8GB RX580) works great in MacOS. I went from using the nVidia 1080 8GB (for months, in 10.12.x and 10.13.x), with a minor issue here and there, and problems on every MacOS update requiring a simple script to be run, to ...hopefully...no further work required when updating with the RX580 (in 10.13.4, and now 10.13.4 Security Update 1). So far so good.

I do notice gaming is significantly slower than in Windows, though. My test case is tiny (Starcraft II, 1920x1080 seems to be the maximum resolution permitted in Windows with the RX580, even though my screen is the 3440x1440 LG 34" monitor...) but even "just" in 1920x1080 in MacOS, it's slower. FreeSync DOES work in Windows with my monitor, but does NOT work in MacOS - I see no FreeSync functionality at all. However, I do note that the refresh rate jumped from 60 hz (with the nVidia 1080) to 75 hz (with the RX580), which is a nice bump.

What does one do to get multiple monitors to work in macOS?

I have been reading about multiple monitors not working with RX 580. Does one need other tricks?

I'm only using one monitor but want to see what it takes to get two or more monitors working. My main monitor is using DVI and the second monitor is using DP. On boot up, both monitors show the BIOS flash page, Clover boot screen, and the start of macOS boot up. But, 2/3 of the way through the macOS boot up the 2nd monitor goes blank.

What should be the settings in the config.plist? Does one need to go back to using Luli kext, etc.?

Hi Stork,
I'm using 2 monitors but since I deleted Lilu and WeG, as many suggested here, I had to switch the output from DPs to HDMIs. Now using the 2 HDMI I can use the two monitors without problems.

In general, I can say that the Nvidia solution was easier. I didn't think that a supported GPU like RX 580 was harder than a "non supported" one. Now everything works, included sleep/wake, but sometimes I experience a system freeze (in particular when using FCPX) and I need an hard reboot.

What does one do to get multiple monitors to work in macOS?

I have been reading about multiple monitors not working with RX 580. Does one need other tricks?

I'm only using one monitor but want to see what it takes to get two or more monitors working. My main monitor is using DVI and the second monitor is using DP. On boot up, both monitors show the BIOS flash page, Clover boot screen, and the start of macOS boot up. But, 2/3 of the way through the macOS boot up the 2nd monitor goes blank.

What should be the settings in the config.plist? Does one need to go back to using Luli kext, etc.?

Hi Stork,
I'm using 2 monitors but since I deleted Lilu and WeG, as many suggested here, I had to switch the output from DPs to HDMIs. Now using the 2 HDMI I can use the two monitors without problems...
Great! I can confirm the HDMI ports work with the DVI port for multiple monitor use. :thumbup:

Alexilgatto, Unfortunately, the DP ports don't work at all. When using 10.12.6, they did as I was using a 4K monitor. However, I moved MyHero II to another monitor shortly there after. Then upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.4 and forgot to test with the 4K monitor. Bummer.

I'm bummed! There's a good chance my old motherboard (GA-Z68XP-UD3) isn't compatible with my new Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB. I've installed the graphic card and connected the 8-pin power adapter. Computer will not power on. Behaves as if the computer is not plugged in. If I disconnect the 8-pin power connector the computer boots up fine. Geez not wanting to build a new hackintosh yet.:crazy:

I'm bummed! There's a good chance my old motherboard (GA-Z68XP-UD3) isn't compatible with my new Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB. I've installed the graphic card and connected the 8-pin power adapter. Computer will not power on. Behaves as if the computer is not plugged in. If I disconnect the 8-pin power connector the computer boots up fine. Geez not wanting to build a new hackintosh yet.:crazy:
What is the age, brand and model of your PSU ?

What is the age, brand and model of your PSU ?

Thanks for the super quick response trs96. Wow! I just checked how old my current hackintosh is! It's 6 years old. Time flies when your Hackintosh runs great. The PSU is a 1000W. I can't see the label but I'll check my invoices if it matters. Update: See Below for the details of my PSU.

KINGWIN LZP-1000 1000W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91, and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Last edited:
From my research around the internet it's still not too clear if my motherboard or PSU (KINGWIN LZP-1000) is too old to run the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB. Any feed back on the above post would be appreciated.
Thanks!

From my research around the internet it's still not too clear if my motherboard or PSU (KINGWIN LZP-1000) is too old to run the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB. Any feed back on the above post would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I don't think the age or quality of the PSU is the problem. Those are made by Super Flower, one of the better PSU makers. If you want to try another newer PSU you could verify this yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back