Contribute
Register

AMD RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks trs96! My PSU has been problem free for 6 years. It's a real workhorse. More than likely my motherboard is the issue. At this time I'm not ready for a new hackintosh build. But I'm doing more video editing so I might change my mind.

FreeSync DOES work in Windows with my monitor, but does NOT work in MacOS - I see no FreeSync functionality at all.

Thanks, I was specifically looking for this information. If I may ask a question, how do you know that FreeSync works in your Windows installation? Is it shown somewhere or have you observed the gaming performance?

I am looking to purchase a 4K monitor and my choice hinges upon FreeSync support (all other things being equal, except price). On some gaming websites people seem to be of the opinion that it makes a noticeable difference in games.

Hi, I just bought a RX 580 Pulse and it DIDN'T work OOB as mentioned in the buyers guide.

I just wanted to connect two displays per DP and eventually a third per HDMI.

I tried everything really:
  • Installed card and connected with DP -> nothing
  • Connected per HDMI -> booted to the desktop, no acceleration
  • Tried RadeonDeinit true and false -> no change
  • Used suggested framebuffer "Dayman" -> didn't work
  • Blindly tested several other frambuffers -> bad results
  • Used a framebuffer which matched my port layout: "Orinoco" -> got acceleration but still just one screen
  • Patched my own framebuffer -> no change because my reference framebuffer was already matching :D
  • Switched to 18,1 sysdef with the framebuffer "Orinoco" -> Both screens worked but Airplay broke and sleep killed my natively supported bluetooth (and iMessage ofc)
  • Switched back to 18,3 because I couldn't figure out a fix for my bluetooth

But in the end I found a solution:

The funny thing is that every step above was unnecessary because my card actually works with the matching framebuffer.
Apparently 18,3 checks for some board-id which causes the display to stay dark (no idea why it does that^^).
Finally I used :
  • RadeonDeinit = true
  • Framebuffer = "Orinoco"
  • Inject ATI = true (ofc)
  • And a kext patch to disable board-id check

The Patch:
  • Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
  • Find: BA050000 00
  • Replace: BA000000 00
  • Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696
Now everything is working "OOB".

I hope this post helps someone in the future^^

Hi, I just bought a RX 580 Pulse and it DIDN'T work OOB as mentioned in the buyers guide.

I just wanted to connect two displays per DP and eventually a third per HDMI.

I tried everything really:
  • Installed card and connected with DP -> nothing
  • Connected per HDMI -> booted to the desktop, no acceleration
  • Tried RadeonDeinit true and false -> no change
  • Used suggested framebuffer "Dayman" -> didn't work
  • Blindly tested several other frambuffers -> bad results
  • Used a framebuffer which matched my port layout: "Orinoco" -> got acceleration but still just one screen
  • Patched my own framebuffer -> no change because my reference framebuffer was already matching :D
  • Switched to 18,1 sysdef with the framebuffer "Orinoco" -> Both screens worked but Airplay broke and sleep killed my natively supported bluetooth (and iMessage ofc)
  • Switched back to 18,3 because I couldn't figure out a fix for my bluetooth

But in the end I found a solution:

The funny thing is that every step above was unnecessary because my card actually works with the matching framebuffer.
Apparently 18,3 checks for some board-id which causes the display to stay dark (no idea why it does that^^).
Finally I used :
  • RadeonDeinit = true
  • Framebuffer = "Orinoco"
  • Inject ATI = true (ofc)
  • And a kext patch to disable board-id check

The Patch:
  • Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
  • Find: BA050000 00
  • Replace: BA000000 00
  • Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696
Now everything is working "OOB".

I hope this post helps someone in the future^^
Great info! Are you using Lilu or Whatevergreen kexts too?

Great info! Are you using Lilu or Whatevergreen kexts too?

Whatevergreen didn't work for me, so I injected the framebuffer manually with clover.

I kept Lilu just in case^^

Hey folks,
should Display-Port work OOB with this card?
thx

@MacBobs I will be trying your methodology tonight. Will remove WhatEverGreen (or use flag -wegoff) and try your Clover patch to get the Display Port on 18,3 SMBIOS to function properly.

You may like my methodology for getting the Orinoco frame buffer in macOS without Clover injection. Please click here.

As long as your Sapphire Pulse RX 580 has the same hardware and memory as the "Apple" edition of the Sapphire Pulse RX 580, you can force flash the BIOS ROM and macOS will give you truly native support.

@MacBobs I will be trying your methodology tonight. Will remove WhatEverGreen (or use flag -wegoff) and try your Clover patch to get the Display Port on 18,3 SMBIOS to function properly.
Actually, now things have changed for me. I now use Whatevergreen without any clover injections. I just declared the right platform-id in devices/properties for Whatevergreen. This way I get Quicklook/Airplay and I don't need the board-id patch anymore. I used a platform-id for Mojave and Coffee Lake with connectors despite the fact that I don't have anything connected to my IGPU.

As long as your Sapphire Pulse RX 580 has the same hardware and memory as the "Apple" edition of the Sapphire Pulse RX 580, you can force flash the BIOS ROM and macOS will give you truly native support.
I would like to read more about this. Do you have a reference?

Using iMac14,2 as the SMBIOS seems to be the magic key to getting this card working perfectly in macOS. I have no problems with multiple displays on 10.14 and all my ports work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back