Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 Released!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my test with SMBIOS MacPro6,1 in 10.13.2, AMD HEVC support work well with GFX0 need edited AppleGVA info.plist, may be I should also test GFX1, verify for HEVC support.

Edit: AMD HEVC support will not work with GFX1, tested with SMBIOS MacPro6,1 and iMac14,2, need GFX0 for AMD HEVC support.

That's weird, for guides to create ssdt dsdt for MP 6.1 it is recommended to use GFX1. For MP 4.1-5.1 GFX0 is OK.

That's weird, for guides to create ssdt dsdt for MP 6.1 it is recommended to use GFX1. For MP 4.1-5.1 GFX0 is OK.

If refer to AGPM, SMBIOS MacPro6,1 should use GFX1 or GFX2, according to AGDP GFX1 should be unloaded and used as connectorless, GFX2 use for primary display.

Yes, that’s my point. Guide says GFX1 or GFX2 depending on number of GPUs. And rest of the forums I found GFX0. I think it is also important to note the system with iGPU and Without iGPU. Anyway thanks guys for excellent discussions and will report back once I check shuhung suggestion. One question though, does my gpu support Metal V3?

Yes, that’s my point. Guide says GFX1 or GFX2 depending on number of GPUs. And rest of the forums I found GFX0. I think it is also important to note the system with iGPU and Without iGPU. Anyway thanks guys for excellent discussions and will report back once I check shuhung suggestion. One question though, is my gpu support Metal V3?

Someone claimed to have the V3 without IGPU support by using a dsdt or SSDT however they had a system with IGPU. I specifically asked if the IGPU was really disabled and they insisted it was. I can only get the V3 with my i5 6500 but with my Pentium and another non intel CPU I've never achieved V3 status. It may be possible by using a custom SSDT or DSDT. The V3 status is a feature set but whether it can be achieved if you don't have the proper feature set supported CPU remains a mystery. I haven't seen anyone else achieve this with a non IGPU Intel CPU system. Partially disabling the IGPU in Bios still allows the features of the IGPU to help in various programs like FCPx but if you completely disable it and remove any ram allocation it no longer functions for FCPx.

Last edited:
Just tested with SMBIOS MacPro6,1, VDADoceder will not work, change SMBIOS to iMac14,2 if possible.

In 10.12.x, GVA decoder/encoder support H264 but not HEVC, AMD H264 encoder has bug in 10.13.x (10.12.x not tested, may be ok), AMD HEVC support need 10.13 and up.

Ioreg show GPU is attached to GFX0.

Use attached VDADecoderChecker to verify GVA status.

Edit: attached file is edited info.plist for MacPro6,1, tested with RX460 should work.
Backup then replace /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/info.plist with attached plist.

Run below from terminal

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
sudo codesign --deep -fs - AppleGVA.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleGVA.framework

Reboot and check GVA status.

Tried but no VDADecoderChecker does not give positive result. I really frustrated with X99 system.

Tried but no VDADecoderChecker does not give positive result. I really frustrated with X99 system.

I remember that in 10.12.6, VDADecoder not work with my RX 460 need enable IQSV, display kexts or AppleGVA seems to be immature, issue not related to X99 system. It will work in 10.13.x.

I remember that in 10.12.6, VDADecoder not work with my RX 460 need enable IQSV, display kexts or AppleGVA seems to be immature, issue not related to X99 system. It will work in 10.13.x.

Ok got the point, I will check with 10.13.2 and report back. thanks shuhung.

Hi shuhung,

thanks a lot. After exchanging info.plist in AppleGVA VDADecoderCheck now shows "supported".
(Is there a way to do this with Clover Patch? This is the only Non-Vanilla modification I use)

On my x99 system it also seems that Metal 3 is supported. I use RadeonDeinit without any SSDT or ACPI-patches. Also GFX0 does not seem to be necessary, it is still H000.

x99-580.png
x99-580-pdf.307494

Last edited:
Hi shuhung,

thanks a lot. After exchanging info.plist in AppleGVA VDADecoderCheck now shows "supported".
(Is there a way to do this with Clover Patch? This is the only Non-Vanilla modification I use)

On my x99 system it also seems that Metal 3 is supported. I use RadeonDeinit without any SSDT or ACPI-patches. Also GFX0 does not seem to be necessary, it is still H000.

View attachment 307495
x99-580-pdf.307494

GFX0 is required to enable AMD HEVC encoder/decoder, H264 GVA support do not need GFX0, VDADecoderChecker can verify H264 VDADecoder status but not HEVC decoder.

Edit: When using WhateverGreen, it will try to auto patch ssdt/dsdt DGPU device to GFX0 if without custom ssdt.aml or dsdt.aml

Last edited:
Is there a way to do this with Clover Patch? This is the only Non-Vanilla modification I use

Seems to be not with Clover patch, but I just tested SMBIOS MacPro6,1 without edited AppleGVA info.plist, install shiki.kext and add boot arg shikigva=32 has the same function, it replace board-id to iMac14,2 by default, original used for SMBIOS without “ forceBoostOff Boolean Yes” in AppleGVA info.plist to enable GVA feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back