Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the instructions and my Sapphire RX 480 8GB (reference) works. All I did was:
  • Clover v3949
  • Add 0x67DF1002 to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/Info.plist (remember to fix permission and clear cache after saving, I use Kext Utility)
  • config.plist: Inject ATI = true, and yes, that's it, that's the only config you need to change, no FBName or FakeID
  • View attachment 222822
I also left Inject Intel = true and tried false as well.

Issues: Main monitor is connected via DP and works great. Second monitor is connected by HDMI and won't work at all. If I uncheck Inject ATI and Inject Intel, it works, but the resolution is off and very pixelated/laggy on the second monitor. Main monitor seems to work just fine under those settings, however About This Mac shows R9 xxx instead of RX 480.

Also, FCPX 10.3 crashes as soon as it opens. This was happening with my R9 280x, but it was a failing card which is why I just replaced it (I was having other issues with that card). If I remove the GPU and just use Intel integrated graphics, FCPX works just fine.

Any insight on any of this?

I followed the instructions and my Sapphire RX 480 8GB (reference) works. All I did was:
Clover v3949
Add 0x67DF1002 to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/Info.plist (remember to fix permission and clear cache after saving, I use Kext Utility)
config.plist: Inject ATI = true, and yes, that's it, that's the only config you need to change, no FBName or FakeID
View attachment 222822
I also left Inject Intel = true and tried false as well.

Issues: Main monitor is connected via DP and works great. Second monitor is connected by HDMI and won't work at all. If I uncheck Inject ATI and Inject Intel, it works, but the resolution is off and very pixelated/laggy on the second monitor. Main monitor seems to work just fine under those settings, however About This Mac shows R9 xxx instead of RX 480.

Also, FCPX 10.3 crashes as soon as it opens. This was happening with my R9 280x, but it was a failing card which is why I just replaced it (I was having other issues with that card). If I remove the GPU and just use Intel integrated graphics, FCPX works just fine.

Any insight on any of this?

Gave up the other day with this but your comment gave me a must do it.

What I have done, I've done everything you listed, but do not use inject intel. Injecting Intel makes the integrated graphics perfect as well as the RX 480 but makes FCPX crash. Without the inject intel, the integrated graphics have no acceleration but FCPX doesn't crash. So I have just used DisableMonitor app to disable the "3rd monitor" integrated graphics hdmi I just have connected to my capture card for Windows

Really hope can have a method soon a later where can run the RX 480 first boot device as a few things I use on Windows doesn't like the integrated graphics being enabled mixed with an AMD gpu lol

any news about boot SAPPHIRE rx480 as primary on sierra?

Hi guys!
I have successfully installed Gigabyte 4GB Radeon RX480 on Sierra 10.12.2 Beta 4

This is the recipe. It's WORK Finally, but I hope Apple will release Polaris 10 driver out of the box in 10.12.2 (Release version)
  • Backup Clover manually!!
  • Clover: In Graphics / Clean all preferences
  • Install radeon kexts (4000 and 4100) with Kext Utility or Easy Kext
  • Reboot
  • BIOS: Integrated Graphics = Enabled
  • BIOS: Primary Graphics = IGPU
  • Boot / OS booted on RX480 port
Képernyőfotó 2016-12-02 - 15.58.15.png
Képernyőfotó 2016-12-02 - 16.03.58.png
Képernyőfotó 2016-12-02 - 16.05.43.png

Attachments

• radeonkexts.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 139
Hi guys!
I have successfully installed Gigabyte 4GB Radeon RX480 on Sierra 10.12.2 Beta 4

This is the recipe. It's WORK Finally, but I hope Apple will release Polaris 10 driver out of the box in 10.12.2 (Release version)
  • Backup Clover manually!!
  • Clover: In Graphics / Clean all preferences
  • Install radeon kexts (4000 and 4100) with Kext Utility or Easy Kext
  • Reboot
  • BIOS: Integrated Graphics = Enabled
  • BIOS: Primary Graphics = IGPU
  • Boot / OS booted on RX480 port
View attachment 223347 View attachment 223348 View attachment 223349

Very nice! The Gigabyte RX 480 has been elusive to get working in sierra. There have been a few attempts to no avail.
Do you have metal support and 30 bit ARBG2101010 color format?

any news about boot SAPPHIRE rx480 as primary on sierra?

There has not been a clover solution or fix yet you still need to use igpu as primary display, however if you have an extra pcie slot there is a way to get one working.

Do you have an X99 board?
If so you can use a natively supported card like a AMD 5450 or even an Nvidia card to use for integrated graphics mode.
I have used an AMD 5450 $35 US, and a Nvidia 8400gs $35 US as a primary boot card and the RX cards work with either.

Bios settings are pcie as primary display, so you don't need a CPU with integrated graphics (igpu). This works on X99 systems as well as systems with an igpu. I have a pentium g3258 Haswell rig that I have tested this on and reports from X99 users are successful.

This is great news, are you in Sierra 10.12.1 public release or the Beta 10.12.2?

4K @ 60hz. You're rockin! Are you using DisplayPort for the 60hz or does it work with the HDMI?

Thanks for reporting this method by the way, this may help with the igpu requirement fixes.

Sorry, I just noticed your earlier post.
Polaris 10 not Baffin..png
This is the 10.12.2 Beta 4 version of the AMD9500Controllerkext. Its loaded with Polaris 10 support, and Baffin or Polaris 11 is also there.
But this is the really cool part.
Vega 10 .png Vega 10! Mac Pro?

Last edited:
Hey, is anyone with a rx 480 card noticing issues after sleep with YouTube or Google Chrome or FCPX? It seems like youtube videos do not want to play after it resumes from sleep in Safari and sometimes Google Chrome does not load after sleep. Also, FCPX becomes unresponsive after sleep. I have nothing selected in the Clover Graphics settings and have just done the info.plist change in the 4100 kext. System Def 17,1 (i7 6700k, Z170n gaming 5, 16gb ddr4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back