Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try a Dell 5K with RX480 soon, for now I tried with an HP Z27Q 5K. But as Fl0r!an said, there is no positive achievement in conjunction with AMD cards. And as for now there is no support for Nvidia Pascal based GPUs.
Looking forward to your experience with these ... I have GTX 980 Ti's along with an HP Z27q and 5K is the missing piece under Sierra. I just cannot get it to work! If the RX 480 ever works out of the box, I might switch.

Looking forward to your experience with these ... I have GTX 980 Ti's along with an HP Z27q and 5K is the missing piece under Sierra. I just cannot get it to work! If the RX 480 ever works out of the box, I might switch.

I'm pretty sure you can achieve the 5K resolution with your GTX980Ti if you use a Dell... what GPU card model do you have? And which motherboard model?

Anyway if I were you, I wouldn't sell your 980Ti, which is really a blazing fast top gpu, for an RX480!
Don't get me wrong here, RX480 is really a nice card and probably in the mid range of performance is the best one you can get at the moment. It's very silent, it consumes 150W of power only and it gets nice performances. The only drawback actually is that you cannot have visibility of the boot process and it starts only at login screen. And I suspect the culprit is in Clover right now, so I hope in the future we can fix it.

But if we talk of pure performances 980Ti is way better and I would change it now. I would wait if there will be a Pascal support from Nvidia in a near future but I wouldn't go to Amd...

Hey, I want to build a Hackintosh but I also want to dual boot with windows. Do I have to install mac os x sierra first or Should I Windows first. Also, If the order doesn't matter than allow me to know that as well. Secondly, can someone direct me to a list with the currently working RX 480's.

I'm pretty sure you can achieve the 5K resolution with your GTX980Ti if you use a Dell... what GPU card model do you have? And which motherboard model?

Anyway if I were you, I wouldn't sell your 980Ti, which is really a blazing fast top gpu, for an RX480!
Don't get me wrong here, RX480 is really a nice card and probably in the mid range of performance is the best one you can get at the moment. It's very silent, it consumes 150W of power only and it gets nice performances. The only drawback actually is that you cannot have visibility of the boot process and it starts only at login screen. And I suspect the culprit is in Clover right now, so I hope in the future we can fix it.

But if we talk of pure performances 980Ti is way better and I would change it now. I would wait if there will be a Pascal support from Nvidia in a near future but I wouldn't go to Amd...
Really, have you tested with a Dell? I have some hopes that it might behave differently from an HP Z27q, but it's too much money and time to try and test it. I have dual MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G's running on a GA-Z170x-Designare. I tried to pick maximally compatible hardware.

One odd thing is that I actually see the Dell UP2715k string embedded in the NVDAResman kext, so that's why I have a suspicion it might get some special treatment from nVidia.

Anyway, I agree I'll probably keep my 980 GTX Ti's and hope for support to improve. 1440p at HiDPI scaled to 3840x2140 and sent to a 5k monitor is not amazing but still not that bad. For what I do tho, getting the monitor working at 5K is a slightly better experience than having a faster video card.

Right the RX 480 is seen no issue at all in OS X with the id added in the kexkand inject ati on clover, but 3d accelleration isn't enabled. Anyone know how can fix?

So I ended up somehow frying my R9 280x, and I needed a new GPU, so I got the white ASUS RX 480 I linked earlier in this thread. Has anyone gotten any of the ASUS models to work? I have it working wonderfully well on Windows and to some extent on Linux. I don't have any kind of OS X install at the moment, but I'll partition a drive and get it going and try all the stuff mentioned in this thread, and I'll report back.

So I ended up somehow frying my R9 280x,

How relevant. Currently playing around benchmarking and FurMark literally tortured my 280X even without overclock taking it into the middle 90c so fast, but the XFX RX 480 GTR, got it at 1400 clock and 2060 mem and won't go past 72c in FurMark whatsoever lol.

How relevant. Currently playing around benchmarking and FurMark literally tortured my 280X even without overclock taking it into the middle 90c so fast, but the XFX RX 480 GTR, got it at 1400 clock and 2060 mem and won't go past 72c in FurMark whatsoever lol.

I think what happened was that my custom cooler on my "dead" R9 280x got f'd up (if I try and use it an orange spark is emitted from the cooler/HSF)... I had been wanting an RX 480 since they were announced, and the ASUS one in white looks sexy (it's sitting in my white case xD), so I grabbed it. I'm making room on my Windows SSD so I can partition it to install Sierra. I'll report back soon.

AAaaannnndd I decided to just wait for a native, non iGPU requiring solution... Clover refused to boot up with anything newer than v3766 (the version on my Sierra boot USB) no matter what I did.. I'll be watching this thread. I guess it's back to Windows for me until that happens. I'll leave my install alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back