Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brand RX 480 8GB will give me the smoothest installation possible? I'm planning to use it with Lightroom and Final Cut Pro

XFX, Powercooler, and Sapphire are the easiest to get working and run smoothly.

I had the card working with 12.3 but it won't work with 12.4. I made changes to both AMDRadeonX4100 and AMD9510Controller kexts. Can't figure out why this suddenly won't work.

I had the card working with 12.3 but it won't work with 12.4. I made changes to both AMDRadeonX4100 and AMD9510Controller kexts. Can't figure out why this suddenly won't work.

Are you injecting ATI? Try not injecting ATI, the 12.4 and the latest clover bootloaders are not liking Inject ATI it leads to black screen and or loss of fame buffers for your HDMI and Displayports. Is your card fan spinning at boot? If so it's probably inject ATI.

I'm in the process of upgrading to 12.4 myself with PowerColor RX480 8GB, is it safe? my machine is a production one!!! Or are there some limitations compared to 12.3? Particularly about the 36Units' procedure?

Last edited:
I'm in the process of upgrading to 12.4 myself with PowerColor RX480 8GB, is it safe? my machine is a production one!!! Or are there some limitations compared to 12.3? Particularly about the 36Units' procedure?

I saved my RadeonX4100 driver and put it in a folder. Updated to 12.4 and then installed it or replaced it and it works 36CU. There are some saying the fix still works or at least the first two. The Ellesmere fix doesn't but the CU fix does in 12.4. To be safe save copies so you don't have to worry.

If you save the RadeonX4100 you'll be ok to update. I would not recommend injecting ATI as problems are reported with both the new clover and 12.4. When you update the 4100 and 9500 fixes will be gone try using ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002 to get acceleration but done inject ATI. This may give you support until you can make the changes to the 9510controller, and the 4100kext. Both of those need the 0x67DF1002 added to the info.plist. They removed the 9500controllerkext and replaced it with 9510 and you have to add the RX480 ID to it now.

I saved my RadeonX4100 driver and put it in a folder. Updated to 12.4 and then installed it or replaced it and it works 36CU. There are some saying the fix still works or at least the first two. The Ellesmere fix doesn't but the CU fix does in 12.4. To be safe save copies so you don't have to worry.

If you save the RadeonX4100 you'll be ok to update. I would not recommend injecting ATI as problems are reported with both the new clover and 12.4. When you update the 4100 and 9500 fixes will be gone try using ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002 to get acceleration but done inject ATI. This may give you support until you can make the changes to the 9510controller, and the 4100kext. Both of those need the 0x67DF1002 added to the info.plist. They removed the 9500controllerkext and replaced it with 9510 and you have to add the RX480 ID to it now.

If fakeID 0x67EF works why would you also edit the kexts? The whole point of the fakeID is so you don't have to modify the kexts.

If fakeID 0x67EF works why would you also edit the kexts? The whole point of the fakeID is so you don't have to modify the kexts.

The fake ID will give you RX 460 support, since the Polaris 10 (rx 480) code is in there USB g the 460 ID may not give you ultimate performance. It doesn't seem to work for everybody as well, some say it works some not.

Are you injecting ATI? Try not injecting ATI, the 12.4 and the latest clover bootloaders are not liking Inject ATI it leads to black screen and or loss of fame buffers for your HDMI and Displayports. Is your card fan spinning at boot? If so it's probably inject ATI.

Hey Gigamaxx, thanks for trying to help but I figured it out.

I restored a backup and tried the update again, but this time instead of doing everything on the command line to edit the kexts, I copied and pasted them onto the desktop, edited them, and then put them back and ran kext util.

I don't understand what the copy & paste in the GUI does any different then "cp -r" on a kext... that's so weird. :confused:

Video acceleration with the RX 480 is a go. :headbang:

After MANY tries I got acceleration and CU units . Just using the 1st patch of Fl0r!an in x4100 kext.
But for some strange reasons CU units now are 18 instead of 36 that my RX480 should show. Don't know why...

I've attached the working kexts here for the community.

If someone has a method to have 36 units working, please post it! :)

PS: the old (modified) 12.3 X4100 kext is not working anymore in 12.4 final.

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    4 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back