Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Apple does have code for these cards in the 5000HWHardwarekext. So they are experimenting with them. Chances are they wouldn’t waste time on the code if they weren’t planning on using them.

Apple doesn’t use the Radeon Vii but it has support. The eGPU market which Apple supports will run out of RX 400-500 series cards so there will need to be a replacement for these. Navi fits the bill.

Thank you Gigamaxx, that's the explanation I was looking for :)

My follow-up question is, if there's code for these cards in an existing kext, why can't we use it already? I guess there's something missing (I'm just curious what!)

:)

(grrr, anyone else find that every time they set an Avatar/signature on their profile page it gets deleted after a few hours?)

Thank you Gigamaxx, that's the explanation I was looking for :)

My follow-up question is, if there's code for these cards in an existing kext, why can't we use it already? I guess there's something missing (I'm just curious what!)

:)

(grrr, anyone else find that every time they set an Avatar/signature on their profile page it gets deleted after a few hours?)

All mention of Navi were removed from the Catalina betas pretty early in to the beta. Only Apple knows why they were removed.

All mention of Navi were removed from the Catalina betas pretty early in to the beta. Only Apple knows why they were removed.

Probably they got a better deal on the bulk-purchase of Pro Vega II's and switched to those?

Not completely accurate from what I’ve seen. The short history is this.
In Mojave betas, last year in November we found Navi code in the AMD6000HWHardwarekext. This was a new kext with the 6000 series numeration.

After I posted it and it went viral on the intrawebs in January Apple removed that kext from Mojave.

They buried the Navi code in the 5000 series Kexts for hardware in Catalina. The original Mojave 6000 had the device ID in it. 0x73101002, which is the 5700 ID but not the XT ID. They have since removed it. So Apple has been working on these cards along with AMD for about a year now.

What is even more interesting is the Navi code is in both the 5000 and 4000 support kexts.

AMDRadeon4000HWServiceskext
Navi 4400kext.png

AMDRadeon5000HWServiceskext
Navi 5400kext.png

The original HW6000Serviceskext has ZN38, Navi10

HW6000kext ZN38.png

The Catalina 4000kext ZN38
4000kext ZN38.png

The 10000Controllerkext has ZN30 Vega 10 but no ZN38. Will we see a 10500Controllerkext in the near future?

Last edited:
My Vega 64 graphics card failed, unfortunately. Now I have to buy a new graphics card. Is it likely that support for AMD Radeon 5700/5700 XT generation Navi will be added with the release of the final version of macOS Catalina?

My Vega 64 graphics card failed, unfortunately. Now I have to buy a new graphics card. Is it likely that support for AMD Radeon 5700/5700 XT generation Navi will be added with the release of the final version of macOS Catalina?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

How did your Vega 64 fail? What's wrong with it?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

How did your Vega 64 fail? What's wrong with it?
It's my fault. When assembling a new computer, I used a faulty power supply (I did not know about it), which damaged the video card.

It's my fault. When assembling a new computer, I used a faulty power supply (I did not know about it), which damaged the video card.

Bummer... I wonder if it can be repaired...

The final Catalina came out. Please check if 5700/5700 XT support has been added there.

Back