Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Beta 10 still no support.

Damn! I'm going to have to swap back to my old card for a while at this rate - shame as I've really gotten used to it's performance under Windows!

Damn! I'm going to have to swap back to my old card for a while at this rate - shame as I've really gotten used to it's performance under Windows!

Haha, same here. Once I finish an AAA game that I have been playing, I will swap back to my RX 570 and wait for Navi Support

Hmmm, where have I heard this before: waiting for release of graphics drivers without any real idea of when or even if that will happen... and no comment from either Apple or the card manufacturer? Blind faith hasn't worked out so well for supporters of a certain Green Team. And now that I'm ready to lean Red I find myself in the exact same situation as with my 1080 card. Getting pretty sore from crossing my fingers, LOL.

Hmmm, where have I heard this before: waiting for release of graphics drivers without any real idea of when or even if that will happen... and no comment from either Apple or the card manufacturer? Blind faith hasn't worked out so well for supporters of a certain Green Team. And now that I'm ready to lean Red I find myself in the exact same situation as with my 1080 card. Getting pretty sore from crossing my fingers, LOL.

This is very different from the Nvidia situation. Apple stopped using Nvidia GPUs for a long time. Apple is still using AMD GPUs in current Macs and has announced they will be using them in the upcoming Mac Pro as well.

Since Apple only uses AMD GPUs for Macs, it only stands to reason that, eventually, Apple will have to add support for Navi as older AMD GPUs enter EOL status. The only question is how long it will take Apple to add support.

Since Apple stopped using Nvidia GPUs years ago and have given no indication of going back to them any time soon, Nvidia GPU owners' only hope was Nvidia's web drivers.

I did the same with the Samsung Evo Plus NVMe too, but it worked out in the end, fingers crossed this does :)

I made the purchase of this card card knowing it very well may never be supported, which is fine, I've alternative plans, it's really a bonus if the support gets added.

Since Apple only uses AMD GPUs for Macs, it only stands to reason that, eventually, Apple will have to add support for Navi as older AMD GPUs enter EOL status. The only question is how long it will take Apple to add support.

Honestly, I don't really follow this logic - there's nothing to guarantee that Apple will add support for a GPU which they're not actively using in one of the models they manufacture.

They are not using the RX 5700 in any of their models, so there's no guarantee (IMHO) that they'll ever add support for it...

Honestly, I don't really follow this logic - there's nothing to guarantee that Apple will add support for a GPU which they're not actively using in one of the models they manufacture.

They are not using the RX 5700 in any of their models, so there's no guarantee (IMHO) that they'll ever add support for it...

Of course nothing is guaranteed. If you want guarantees, you need to get older GPUs.

We are all just speculating, but I am extremely confident that Navi support is coming.

And, no, the Navi situation is not the same as the Nvidia situation.

Apple does have code for these cards in the 5000HWHardwarekext. So they are experimenting with them. Chances are they wouldn’t waste time on the code if they weren’t planning on using them.

Apple doesn’t use the Radeon Vii but it has support. The eGPU market which Apple supports will run out of RX 400-500 series cards so there will need to be a replacement for these. Navi fits the bill.

Back