Contribute
Register

Alienware m17x r3 DSDT suddenly causing kernel panics in OS and Install USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your system dual-GPU switched (eg. both available to Windows, but sharing output ports), or is it dual-GPU with each GPU having dedicated ports, or mutually exclusive with each other?

I think it's dual-GPU switched. Both are available to windows and they share output ports. The Intel is onboard and the ATI is some form of PCIe. If I have the bios set to switchable graphics windows seems to prioritize the 6870M, but OSX the HD3000 (although there are artifacts in OSX with SG on). If I install the right drivers in windows, I can switch them on the fly with a function key. Normally, you're not supposed to be able to disable one or the other, but I installed an unlocked bios that lets me do it.

I think it's dual-GPU switched. Both are available to windows and they share output ports. The Intel is onboard and the ATI is some form of PCIe. If I have the bios set to switchable graphics windows seems to prioritize the 6870M, but OSX the HD3000 (although there are artifacts in OSX with SG on). If I install the right drivers in windows, I can switch them on the fly with a function key. Normally, you're not supposed to be able to disable one or the other, but I installed an unlocked bios that lets me do it.

You should leave both on in BIOS so you can use the Radeon in Windows. Then disable the Radeon with DSDT/SSDT edits. Basic idea: find SSDT with _OFF, call _OFF from _INI).

You should leave both on in BIOS so you can use the Radeon in Windows. Then disable the Radeon with DSDT/SSDT edits. Basic idea: find SSDT with _OFF, call _OFF from _INI).

I'll try, but I don't have the slightest clue how to go about doing that, haha. I have some programming experience though, so I guess I could probably figure it out with enough effort. :)

I'll try, but I don't have the slightest clue how to go about doing that, haha. I have some programming experience though, so I guess I could probably figure it out with enough effort. :)

And probably if you do some searching, you'll see where I walked through the process. It is a relatively simple edit, but there are lots of mistakes that can be made when trying to provide patched SSDTs.

And probably if you do some searching, you'll see where I walked through the process. It is a relatively simple edit, but there are lots of mistakes that can be made when trying to provide patched SSDTs.

I tried doing it by following this guide, but when I opened my decompiled ssdt-4 and tried to compile it I get a bunch of compiler errors. I even started from scratch and re-extracted my DSDT and SSDTs after changing the bios to use switchable graphics.

View attachment SSDT.zip

Edit: I just realized I decompiled it with the DSDT I had patched. I'm trying again with the original.

Edit 2: I decompiled it again with the original DSDT and this time it worked, so I patched it with the GFX0 replacement patch and added _OFF () to _INI, but after moving all the SSDTs to extra, renaming the SSDT-4 to SSDT-1 and correcting the order of the remaining SSDTs, it boots fine but still shows the 6870M under devices in system information. I don't seem to be getting any artifacts though, so I guess it's fine...

I tried doing it by following this guide, but when I opened my decompiled ssdt-4 and tried to compile it I get a bunch of compiler errors. I even started from scratch and re-extracted my DSDT and SSDTs after changing the bios to use switchable graphics.

View attachment 105948

Edit: I just realized I decompiled it with the DSDT I had patched. I'm trying again with the original.

Edit 2: I decompiled it again with the original DSDT and this time it worked, so I patched it with the GFX0 replacement patch and added _OFF () to _INI, but after moving all the SSDTs to extra, renaming the SSDT-4 to SSDT-1 and correcting the order of the remaining SSDTs, it boots fine but still shows the 6870M under devices in system information. I don't seem to be getting any artifacts though, so I guess it's fine...

Calling _OFF from _INI in ssdt-4 should do the trick. If it doesn't work, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Sorry for the late reply. Attached is a copy of my IOReg. I also included almost everything in my extras folder just in case.

View attachment Archive.zip

It's worth noting that I applied the "Replace Names" patch to my DSDT but not any of my SSDTs. Also, I haven't changed the IRQ patch yet. I'm not sure if either of those things would make a difference.

Sorry for the late reply. Attached is a copy of my IOReg. I also included almost everything in my extras folder just in case.

View attachment 106041

It's worth noting that I applied the "Replace Names" patch to my DSDT but not any of my SSDTs. Also, I haven't changed the IRQ patch yet. I'm not sure if either of those things would make a difference.

DropSSDT must be set to Yes to provide patched SSDTs.

And the order of the original SSDTs should be preserved.

DropSSDT must be set to Yes to provide patched SSDTs.

And the order of the original SSDTs should be preserved.

I actually had DropSSDT set to Yes until a few minutes ago, but I wasn't clear on what exactly it did so I changed it to No to test it. I just tried changing it back to Yes and setting everything in the original order and it still shows the 6870M in System Information. :/

When I extracted the SSDTs they were named SSDT, SSDT2, etc. and it skipped SSDT1. Should I move them all down a number so there's an SSDT-1 in extras? Also, should there be a hyphen in the name if there wasn't one when I extracted them?

I actually had DropSSDT set to Yes until a few minutes ago, but I wasn't clear on what exactly it did so I changed it to No to test it. I just tried changing it back to Yes and setting everything in the original order and it still shows the 6870M in System Information. :/

When I extracted the SSDTs they were named SSDT, SSDT2, etc. and it skipped SSDT1. Should I move them all down a number so there's an SSDT-1 in extras? Also, should there be a hyphen in the name if there wasn't one when I extracted them?

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html.

ACPI files go in /Extra, not 'extras'. Yes, you need to add the dash. You need to number them sequentially... SSDT.aml (probably generated), SSDT-1.aml, SSDT-2.aml, etc, retaining the original order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back