Contribute
Register

Alienware 17 R4 Installation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered the cable. Let’s hope the thunderbolt 3 port is actually connected to the Intel GPU.

They need to figure out how to use Optimus with Gsync screens.

I am using almost the same laptop (different CPU). I was able to reach the installer with inject NVIDIA and INTEL set to NO (clover\graphics\inject). I removed nv_disable=1, and used nvda_drv=1 in its place (clover\boot). this was using RehabMan's config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist, renamed to config.plist

you should be able to install, load the Nvidia web drivers, then set inject NVIDIA to YES. Don't think there is any way to use the Intel GPU as the main GPU - haven't tried attaching a 2nd monitor yet

So I got a USB-C adapter and connected my external display. Anytime I go to boot up, it still uses the built-on screen and does not trigger the external display.

Update #1:
Disabling NVidia Inject (setting it to NO), got me up to the boot screen. It got caught up at the same error as before for about 5-10 seconds but then the UI showed up.

Let's see how this goes.

screen8.jpeg

Update #2:

Gets stuck forever on the "about a minute remaining" with a full progress bar screen. Tried 3 times with the same end result. Any suggestions? Getting around menus to format the drive, etc is very very laggy too.... sometimes even freezes on trying to select what format to erase the drive to (APFS, HFS, etc).

screen9.jpeg

Update #3:

After numerous reboots and attempts, finally got passed formatting the drive as APFS and passed that first installation screen. Rebooted, selected Install Mac OS from Mac OS X (the name I gave to my drive) and it continued install. Although verbose was selected, after verbose screen it went to the Mac OS boot screen with the apple logo in the middle and the loading bar underneath. It then got stuck at about 20% for about 20 minutes. Then it booted back into UI and now it's been stuck on the following screen for over an hour.

screen10.jpeg

Update #4:

After many force restarts and tries again, I'm finally booted up into Mac OS X 10.13.3. I installed nvidia webdrives but no matter how many restarts, they won't activate. Having hard time navigating around to even install the clover to drive EFI, extremely laggy.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
damn you're almost there good luck.

It got caught up at the same error as before for about 5-10 seconds but then the UI showed up.

Must be patient... booting the installer is not quick.

Gets stuck forever on the "about a minute remaining" with a full progress bar screen.

Normal/covered in guide.

After numerous reboots and attempts, finally got passed formatting the drive as APFS

You should install on HFS+J not APFS.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

After many force restarts and tries again, I'm finally booted up into Mac OS X 10.13.3. I installed nvidia webdrives but no matter how many restarts, they won't activate. Having hard time navigating around to even install the clover to drive EFI, extremely laggy.

Read up on NvidiaWeb=true in Clover config.plist settings.
Also, you will likely need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi (+ RC scripts) or use AptioMemoryFix.efi.
Read related text in guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

definitely add EmuVariableUefi-64.efi - this was in your original clover folder, but looks like it is missing from your latest clover folder. then you should be able to set inject NVIDIA to YES, since you have installed the web drivers,

definitely add EmuVariableUefi-64.efi - this was in your original clover folder, but looks like it is missing from your latest clover folder. then you should be able to set inject NVIDIA to YES, since you have installed the web drivers,

Native NVRAM can work (without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) if you use AptioMemoryFix.efi instead of OsxAptioFix*.efi.

Native NVRAM can work (without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) if you use AptioMemoryFix.efi instead of OsxAptioFix*.efi.

curious - is is better use AptioMemoryFix over EmuVariableUefi?

curious - is is better use AptioMemoryFix over EmuVariableUefi?

Yes. Native NVRAM is preferred over emulated.

For example, one advantage: Panics are logged on next boot as panic data is stored in NVRAM... which does not work with emulated NVRAM, due to RC scripts not running in crash scenario.

Yes. Native NVRAM is preferred over emulated.

For example, one advantage: Panics are logged on next boot as panic data is stored in NVRAM... which does not work with emulated NVRAM, due to RC scripts not running in crash scenario.

thanks RehabMan. updated current Sierra clover folder with AptioMemoryFix, removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and OsxAptioFix-64.efi, and all works well

updated my High Sierra installer, and had no issues reaching the installer and installing to new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back