Contribute
Register

ALC898 audio dropouts on rear jack only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to throw more diagnostic info out there. I just updated to 10.8.4 over the weekend and started experiencing this. It sounds like the sound channel is being reinitialised every time a new sound is being played - not a continuous stream like music, but alert sounds. When I ran Multibeast after upgrade I changed my system profile from MacPro 3,1 to MacMini 6,1. After changing it back to MacPro 3,1 it is now working like it was on 10.8.3 - no popping before every new sound.

Chris

This work-around worked for me as well; a plug in the front panel microphone. Thanks for the tip.

>>
EDIT 3: Work-around found quite by accident. Was using skype and used the front mic & audio ports. When I finished, I unplugged the headphone out and forgot to move green rear back to the front port again. Been listening to music for over an hour now and no audio dropping at all.
>>

I have never experienced this problem before, but it is now happening to me. Same MB. I could not think of a single thing I could have changed - until you mentioned BIOS version. If I remember correctly, this only started happening when I updated from F5 to F6. Going to downgrade to F5 to confirm this.

EDIT: Reverted to F5 and the problem persists! I am completely stumped here. Back to using front green port along with my back ports (5.1).

EDIT 2: I started the whole audio process from scratch. I have found the following to be consistent:

1. Audio with DSDT with Hdef changes as per Toleda's thread results in audio drop-outs on Rear Green Port using ALC887 Current version - Plugging the green jack into the front Green port = no audio dropout. This is with 5.1 sound enabled / disabled.

2. Without DSDT - ALC887 current with Hdenabler-1 = No Audio dropout on Rear Green Port. But 5.1 audio is not available. It shows in the Midi speaker config, but no sound through rear & centre. Multichannel output also only uses front speakers

3. Without DSDT - ALC887 current with Hdenabler - 2 (have to manually delete Hdenabler 1) - Audio dropout on rear Green. Disappears when using green front port. (5.1 & Multichannel work)

EDIT 3: Work-around found quite by accident. Was using skype and used the front mic & audio ports. When I finished, I unplugged the headphone out and forgot to move green rear back to the front port again. Been listening to music for over an hour now and no audio dropping at all. Then I noticed the mic from the headset was still plugged in. As soon as I unplug the front mic, audio dropping starts again. Plug mic back in and ... perfect! Weeeeeird! Now that I mention it, I think I always used to just leave the headphone's mic plugged in before.No wonder I never had this problem before. Oh well, that is a lot less painful. Now I don't have to have the green rear cable running over my desk to the front panel anymore! Not right, but functional.

I have the same audio drop outs on Z77R-UP5 TH. It just started though. What I've noticed on my system is when it drops out, the source changes from Internal Speakers to Headphones briefly (seeing this in Audio Midi Setup). Switching to the black line out has fixed it. I'm not sure if it's hardware or software for my specific problem. Anyone else seeing this? Here's a link to a video of what's happening. @ 3 Sec http://www.ablewebsolutions.com/images/green_audio_port.mov

I have the Z87X-UD3H, which has the ALC898 as well. Same problem, the green port on the back cuts out. The front port does not work at all, and when the back port stutters the output quickly switches to "Headphones, exactly like your video... Just another data point.

Edit 1: It only seems to happen after I sleep the computer after a reboot.

devdev001

I found a viable workaround.

As you know, the problems stop if you connect your speaker to the Headphone on the front panel.

I found that if you plug a jack on the Gray Jack, the problems disapears....
So my working configuration is :

- Speakers on the Green Port on the mainboard
- jack plug on the grey port
- Maverick
- GA G77-UD5H revision 1.0

Hope this helps...

I connected my speaker to the rear "Orange" output, and selected the 1st Line Out option in sound prefs.
Nothing connected in the front and no more dropouts.
F8 BIOS, OSX 10.10.3. Hopefully this is helpful for someone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back