Contribute
Register

ALC898 audio dropouts on rear jack only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any other suggestions.

No problem and thanks for the help. It looks like the AppleHDA.kext just doesn't like this motherboard's ALC898 for some reason or another.

I was reading another thread about the different audio ports of the ALC898 on the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard and where they maps to in OS X. I knew there was another line out in the sound preferences, but I didn't realize it mapped to the yellow rear port on the back. Just for completeness, I tried the yellow port with that line out selected and guess what, no audio drops on the yellow rear port whatsoever.

That actually makes two working ports - green front (headphones) and yellow rear. Even though the line out doesn't turn off when you plug in headphones, at least it allows me to plug my speakers in the back of the computer now when how having the cord out the front.

Maybe the amp mapping between the yellow port and headphone port are the same and the green/back are on the other then?

Maybe the amp mapping between the yellow port and headphone port are the same and the green/back are on the other then?
Orange (your yellow) uses a different amp than green. Gigabyte messed up OS X audio badly on the GA Z77X-UD5H_v1.0 (non TH) and claim it was fixed on the GA Z77X-UD5H TH, maybe not.

It's safe to say the green rear jack has issues with this motherboard (seems to be a common trend for everyone with this motherboard.) However, I'm curious if your orange/yellow jack also works in addition to the black jack?

With a number of games I tried that have continuous background music/sound, I couldn't get either the green or black rear jacks to reliability work. The only thing that worked for me was the front headphone jack and the orange/yellow jack (other line out in the sound preferences->output list.)

Also, what BIOS are you running (I'm using F11 right now)? Thanks!

With a number of games I tried that have continuous background music/sound, I couldn't get either the green or black rear jacks to reliability work. The only thing that worked for me was the front headphone jack and the orange/yellow jack (other line out in the sound preferences->output list.)
You may be the only one with the front green port working. That jack uses the same amp as the rear green jack which no one has working. That amp does not turn on due to to a GA-Z77X-UD5H_v1.0 motherboard circuit issue. All users say the headphone is detected when plugged in with no sound. For those that have tried the grey jack, audio is impaired. The orange and black jacks work.

You may be the only one with the front green port working. That jack uses the same amp as the rear green jack which no one has working. That amp does not turn on due to to a GA-Z77X-UD5H_v1.0 motherboard circuit issue. All users say the headphone is detected when plugged in with no sound. For those that have tried the grey jack, audio is impaired. The orange and black jacks work.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Please go re-read the post by swashbuckler on page 1 - he reports the same thing on his system where the front green port is working for him as well.

I'd also really like to know more about other people's system details including their bios revision to see if there's any pattern.

FWIW, I've been having dropouts since Day 1 of running Mountain Lion (see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/74916-ga-b75m-d3p-audio-skipping.html)

Yes, I know. Not the same board. Not even the same audio chip. I've just been dealing with it (tried every possible Audio MIDI combo)... even tried front vs. rear green jack. Supplemental 10.8.2 update came out... nothing. Updated Multibeast. Still dropping out. (didn't retest front/rear after those last two tho).

Decided to fiddle with it more tonight. Saw a BIOS update came out. Updated. Still dropping out. Saw this thread by chance and decided to try the front green jack again. What the hell... no drop outs for the first time ever. Had to have been the supp update to 10.8.2, newest Multibeast (more likely), or going from F5 to F6 BIOS.

It's a little goofy plugging my speakers into the front, but I'm unbelievably happy now (ironed out every last gremlin out of my mt. lion hackintosh with this). Just thought I'd offer this as a data point.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Please go re-read the post by swashbuckler on page 1 - he reports the same thing on his system where the front green port is working for him as well.
The TH version has the revised hardware which both swashbuckler and you have. I did not notice the TH when I made my comment on your green port audio. The no green port audio problem occurs on the Z77X-UD5H_v1.0 only. The TH may have a green port drop out problem, different than the no green audio problem, perhaps caused by a poor hardware design that has not been fixed completely.

FWIW, I've been having dropouts since Day 1 of running Mountain Lion (see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/74916-ga-b75m-d3p-audio-skipping.html)

Yes, I know. Not the same board. Not even the same audio chip. I've just been dealing with it (tried every possible Audio MIDI combo)... even tried front vs. rear green jack. Supplemental 10.8.2 update came out... nothing. Updated Multibeast. Still dropping out. (didn't retest front/rear after those last two tho).

Decided to fiddle with it more tonight. Saw a BIOS update came out. Updated. Still dropping out. Saw this thread by chance and decided to try the front green jack again. What the hell... no drop outs for the first time ever. Had to have been the supp update to 10.8.2, newest Multibeast (more likely), or going from F5 to F6 BIOS.

It's a little goofy plugging my speakers into the front, but I'm unbelievably happy now (ironed out every last gremlin out of my mt. lion hackintosh with this). Just thought I'd offer this as a data point.

I have never experienced this problem before, but it is now happening to me. Same MB. I could not think of a single thing I could have changed - until you mentioned BIOS version. If I remember correctly, this only started happening when I updated from F5 to F6. Going to downgrade to F5 to confirm this.

EDIT: Reverted to F5 and the problem persists! I am completely stumped here. Back to using front green port along with my back ports (5.1).

EDIT 2: I started the whole audio process from scratch. I have found the following to be consistent:

1. Audio with DSDT with Hdef changes as per Toleda's thread results in audio drop-outs on Rear Green Port using ALC887 Current version - Plugging the green jack into the front Green port = no audio dropout. This is with 5.1 sound enabled / disabled.

2. Without DSDT - ALC887 current with Hdenabler-1 = No Audio dropout on Rear Green Port. But 5.1 audio is not available. It shows in the Midi speaker config, but no sound through rear & centre. Multichannel output also only uses front speakers

3. Without DSDT - ALC887 current with Hdenabler - 2 (have to manually delete Hdenabler 1) - Audio dropout on rear Green. Disappears when using green front port. (5.1 & Multichannel work)

EDIT 3: Work-around found quite by accident. Was using skype and used the front mic & audio ports. When I finished, I unplugged the headphone out and forgot to move green rear back to the front port again. Been listening to music for over an hour now and no audio dropping at all. Then I noticed the mic from the headset was still plugged in. As soon as I unplug the front mic, audio dropping starts again. Plug mic back in and ... perfect! Weeeeeird! Now that I mention it, I think I always used to just leave the headphone's mic plugged in before.No wonder I never had this problem before. Oh well, that is a lot less painful. Now I don't have to have the green rear cable running over my desk to the front panel anymore! Not right, but functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back