Contribute
Register

ALC888 - GA-P55A-UD3 onboard sound not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
AppleHDA.kext did not load and you have the phantom codec. This is not repairable. Suggest a fresh install and your most recent MultiBeast selections.

Ok, back with a fresh install and still a no go on sound. I did what you said. Screen shot and IOreg below ---

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 1.14.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 1.14.45 AM.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Anthony’s Mac Pro.ioreg.zip
    296.8 KB · Views: 77
Ok, back with a fresh install and still a no go on sound. I did what you said. Screen shot and IOreg below ---
Same problem. In About This Mac/..../System Information/Extensions/Check for AppleHDA and AppleHDAController, note version. In System/Library/Extensions/ALC8xxxHDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext, note version and date (Finder/File/Get Info). In Applications/Utilities/Console/All Messages/Select kernel Sound Assertions/Save Selection As ... and attach.

Same problem. In About This Mac/..../System Information/Extensions/Check for AppleHDA and AppleHDAController, note version. In System/Library/Extensions/ALC8xxxHDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext, note version and date (Finder/File/Get Info). In Applications/Utilities/Console/All Messages/Select kernel Sound Assertions/Save Selection As ... and attach.

Ok, I think I have everything here. See Attached:

Attachments

• kernel.log.zip
    6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.41.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.41.10 PM.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.47.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.47.04 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.53.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.53.26 PM.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.53.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.53.57 PM.png
    67 KB · Views: 128
I need my DSDT though, without that I have no graphics. This all worked perfect in 10.7.3 it was pretty much flawless except for a good working sleep, it gave me a KP every once in a while. Grrrr

i had a DSDT with my GA-P55A-UD3 and although the description said "non-DSDT", i got it to work. anyways, just a suggestion. good luck.

-dh-

i had a DSDT with my GA-P55A-UD3 and although the description said "non-DSDT", i got it to work. anyways, just a suggestion. good luck.

-dh-

Hmm it's worth a try, I mean obviously the ACL888's from the MultiBeast do not work for this board. Unless Toleda knows how to overcome this obstacle.

Missed one: In About This Mac/..../System Information/Extensions/Check for AppleHDA and AppleHDAController, note version.

I think you mean to say: About This Mac/System Report/System Information > Software > Extensions, Then under Extensions I see (SEE Attached Image) Unless I'm not seeing it, there is no AppleHDA, there is AppleHDAController. If I go to the Extensions folder from System/Library/Extensions I can see AppleHDA, now to see AppleHDAController I need to click on AppleHDA and click Show Package Contents and navigate to Plugins and I can find it, All screen shots I provided in the last post. They have the date and version on them in the screen shots.

So what am I missing here? Is there a difference in seeing the date and version from Software > Extensions and seeing them in the Extensions folder?

Attachments

• About This mac.png
    About This mac.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 214
  • System Report.png
    System Report.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 184
  • System Information:Software:Extensions.jpg
    System Information:Software:Extensions.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 207
So what am I missing here? Is there a difference in seeing the date and version from Software > Extensions and seeing them in the Extensions folder?
You have confirmed AppleHDA.kext is installed and not loading during boot, huge difference. This is why you have no audio devices. I don't know why you have this problem. Try an experiment:
1. Restart
2. At the boot prompt (hit the space bar when you see the tonymacx86 logo)
3. Enter: UseKernelCache=No -v
4. Return

Reply with a copy of IOReg.

You have confirmed AppleHDA.kext is installed and not loading during boot, huge difference. This is why you have no audio devices. I don't know why you have this problem. Try an experiment:
1. Restart
2. At the boot prompt (hit the space bar when you see the tonymacx86 logo)
3. Enter: UseKernelCache=No -v
4. Return

Reply with a copy of IOReg.

The problem has to be something in the new update, correct? Because I had sound working in 10.7.3 with that older Snow Leopard AppleHDA.kext. Attached is the IOReg after trying the UseKernelCache= -v

Attachments

• Anthony’s Mac Pro 9.12.12.ioreg.zip
    315.2 KB · Views: 57
The problem has to be something in the new update, correct? Because I had sound working in 10.7.3 with that older Snow Leopard AppleHDA.kext. Attached is the IOReg after trying the UseKernelCache= -v
No change. The AppleHDA.kext_v1.7.9 you have installed is Snow Leopard (10.6.2), The issue is the version of your 888. Do you still have the older Snow Leopard AppleHDA.kext? If so, try it. If not or it doesn't work, I don't have a solution for Lion on your system.

My last suggestion, if you go to Mountain Lion, try the ML: Optimized Realtek AppleHDA - Preview/Alpha. A user with the same problem (AppleHDA.kext not loading, phantom audio codec) you have noted the ML_AppleHDA_Alpha solved that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back