Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Big Sur has removed the AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI class in AppleAHCIPort.kext so the Intel family AHCI drivers are no longer recognized as such and are shown as generic.

ahci.png

Some users dislike seeing the Intel driver for a certain family come out as generic although this is a purely cosmetic issue that does not appear to interfere with the performance or behavior of the drivers.

The solution found, originally proposed from the Dortania website, consists of using the modified macOS Catalina extension AppleAHCIPort.kext (CtlnaAHCIPort.kext) with the identifiers of each Intel driver family.
To use CtlnaAHCIPort it is recommended:
  • Block AppleAHCIPort.kext from Big Sur to avoid conflicts (I have tried blocking and without blocking the Big Sur kext and in both cases it has worked correctly)
  • Set the MinKernel parameter to 20.0.0
  • You can do without the extension that we are using to recognize unsupported SATA.

But I have encountered the problem that, if I use CtlnaAHCIPort, in exchange for having the AHCI driver well recognized, I lose the ability to hot plug or unplug SATA disks.
By simply removing CtlnaAHCIPort, the SATA Hot Plug option works again.

Summary: Big Sur showing the Intel AHCI driver as generic does not seem to be a real problem, only cosmetic. With the CtlnaAHCIPort extension the driver displays correctly but the SATA Hot Plug option is lost.
You have to choose: (Generic AHCI Controller + SATA Hot plug) or (well identified AHCI Controller - SATA Hot plug).
The reason: if someone uses the SATA Hot Plug patch and installs CtlnAHCIPort.kext, they will lose the patch option because the identifier "com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort" that it's used in the patch is not valid when we have CtlnAHCIPort.

Note: This is not exclusive behavior of hackintosh, even in my iMac of the year 2015 it's Generic AHCI Controller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back