Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks,

The time has come to build a new main desktop Hackintosh — still rocking my August 2012 machine! I'm basing my hardware configuration on @pastrychef's configuration, as described here, and as introduced to me through the Snazzy Labs video with a similar build.

My aim is to build a "VQVQ" system — very quick, very quick. To that end, I'm aiming to eliminate noise, but not building a truly silent, fanless machine. Here's the hardware I'm planning to use:

Case (existing)
Corsair Vengeance C70

Case Fans
2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swap

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Motherboard
GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle

Processor
Intel i7–8700K CPU

CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Asetek AIO

Power Supply
Silverstone Tek Nightjar 520W Completely Fanless

Video Card
Sapphire 11265–05–20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Hard Drives
Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD
2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 RAM (2x16GB)

My main question is about the power supply — can anyone tell, especially from experience, if a 520W power supply is sufficient to run a system with this configuration? I'm most concerned about the video card; according to Sapphire, they recommend a 500+W power supply and only consumers 250W max. The Intel i7-8700k averages 95W, according to their site. I'd like to use a fanless power supply, but if more power is needed, I will likely use my existing 650W power supply from my current Hackintosh.

I've never had a problem with power, especially because I don't play intensive games, use VR or 3D rendering, and only occasionally work with video. I do, however, work with audio, and those fans are frustrating when I'm trying to record and listen closely.

If anyone has insight, I do indeed appreciate your feedback.

Beyond this, I'm curious about going up to an i9 for future-proofing. Is this overkill for a non-gaming, non-VR machine?

Thanks for your help,

Last edited by a moderator:
Discovered a Power Supply Calculator on New Egg's site, and with my configuration it recommends 620+W so I'm going to stick with my existing 650W, which has worked fine and isn't very noisy. We'll see how it all comes together in practice — I can upgrade later both for power output and for
something quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back