Contribute
Register

Adding AMD 280x graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT WORKED!!!!!
so heres what I did, booted with internal graphics and I downloaded an asus driver for their version of the 280x. I changed the name of that .rom to be [vendornumber]_[deviceid].rom. So it was the xfx vendor number and then my particular device ID. I used clover configurator to mount my EFI partition and added that .rom file to EFI/CLOVER/ROM. Then in clover I had it inject ATI and I selected Load VBIOS. I rebooted went into my motherboards bios and changed it from internal graphics to PCIE graphics and rebooted! Sure enough it worked! Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Ricky7 I have the same mobo/cpu/gpu as you. Can you be more specific with the vbios. I downloaded the following Asus.R9280X.3072.130828.rom which looks similar to my xfx 280x. There were abot 6 or 8 vbios on the site i was on. to use the vbios do you just rename it vendor_devid.rom, so for me 1002_6798.rom. Do I just have to put it in the ROM folder in the efi and then in clover goto the "graphics injector menu" and check "load video bios"?

Correct. As for which VBios, I do believe any vbios made for the 280x will work, that could be a point of experimentation to determine which one works best if you so choose. But exactly like you said just throw it in the ROM in your EFI and reboot. If you have issues and don't get any video on screen, restart your computer, go to your bios, switch to your internal graphics, and fix the issue! just try another vbios and see what happens! The nice thing is most will work somewhat with mac as apple includes most of the configuration files for AMD gpu's since thats what they use so frequently. Another benefit compared to nvidia cards as you will never have to update the drivers, apple will do it for you!

Where can I download VBIOS to try on my card which is a Sapphire 7970. I am going crazy here with HP Z800 workstation, trying to boot with this card. Using Clover.

I cann
My XFX 280x is working perfectly with El Capitan. Granted sleep isn't working, just like the rest of the newer AMD cards.

I can't for the life of me get past the black screen on boot with clover/El Capitan. I can get the HDMI port to work, but not mini display... thoughts?

I cann

I can't for the life of me get past the black screen on boot with clover/El Capitan. I can get the HDMI port to work, but not mini display... thoughts?

Since owning the card, I never had a need to use the mini display ports.

Then in clover I had it inject ATI and I selected Load VBIOS

I'm new to the Clover and boot config, etc. What tool did you use to inject ATI? Was it MultiBeast? And then you choose the Load VBIOS in the Clover config on startup? Or is there somewhere else you changed these settings (just want to make sure I do it the correct way). Thanks!

I'm new to the Clover and boot config, etc. What tool did you use to inject ATI? Was it MultiBeast? And then you choose the Load VBIOS in the Clover config on startup? Or is there somewhere else you changed these settings (just want to make sure I do it the correct way). Thanks!
All within clover. To inject ATI navigate to the graphics tab in clover and select the checkbox inject ATI.
Also within the graphics tab select load vbios and make sure the new vbios is inside of your ROM folder on your EFI partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back