CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I'm trying to get bootcamp working with Ventura on a Surface pro 4 (irrelevant). Windows won't boot due to an ACPI patch rename. I have isolated the rename. I read through the opencore manual and it suggests doing renames at the io-registry level like whatevergreen. How do I do this? I did some googling and zero results came up. Essentially I have to make sure this rename patch isn't injected into acpi when windows boots but is used for macOS. Without the rename, I lose battery status and sleep/wake.
Renaming Device PPMC to PPMX

Hello, I'm trying to get bootcamp working with Ventura on a Surface pro 4 (irrelevant). Windows won't boot due to an ACPI patch rename. I have isolated the rename. I read through the opencore manual and it suggests doing renames at the io-registry level like whatevergreen. How do I do this? I did some googling and zero results came up. Essentially I have to make sure this rename patch isn't injected into acpi when windows boots but is used for macOS. Without the rename, I lose battery status and sleep/wake.
Renaming Device PPMC to PPMX

Why does the device need to be renamed in the first place? Is it a limitation of Big Surface? Be easier to change the Kext probably to match the ACPI rather than change the ACPI to match the kext

Why does the device need to be renamed in the first place? Is it a limitation of Big Surface? Be easier to change the Kext probably to match the ACPI rather than change the ACPI to match the kext

Usually a rename, like the one mentioned above, changes a real DSDT routine to become a non-existent one and force the OS to use its default, thereby getting around any differences between the two being booted.

I guess you might know this already. Windows is a law unto itself. As is macOS! :)

Usually a rename, like the one mentioned above, changes a real DSDT routine to become a non-existent one and force the OS to use its default, thereby getting around any differences between the two being booted.

I guess you might know this already. Windows is a law unto itself. As is macOS! :)
It sounds like they're renaming a device though instead of a method/function, which is why I'm confused and was asking for more details. Normally device renames are needed to make macOS kexts attach/work correctly when they use hard coded names (ie avoiding USB Maps, graphics, etc).

It sounds like they're renaming a device though instead of a method/function, which is why I'm confused and was asking for more details. Normally device renames are needed to make macOS kexts attach/work correctly when they use hard coded names (ie avoiding USB Maps, graphics, etc).

What I meant was, crudely ... If you change the name of a variable or address within a routine, to a non-existent one then it gets ignored by the OS. And :

Yes, of course, you can do the opposite to enable a kext to attach - as in EHCI/XHCI USB renames, e.g XHC1 to XHC_ or EHC1 to EH01 etc.

:)

Back