Contribute
Register

Acer Predator 17 G9-791-79Y3 Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Nvidia announced a possible driver for the 10 series cards in April 2017 so that will possibly solve that.

I haven't spent any further time trying to track down Wifi or SATA/DVD
LAN, Bluetooth, Sound, USB, Keyboard/Trackpad work.

Geekbench (32bit) on 10.12.2
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8319196

IMG_0024.JPG

Hi xenophex, I have a predator too, and feel excited to see someone succeeded in installing hackintosh on it.

I tried to install too, but can't find AHCI option in BIOS settings. When I boot to installer, it gave me a forbidden sign. Could you please tell me how did you tackle down the RAID/AHCI problem?

Thank you.

Hi xenophex, I have a predator too, and feel excited to see someone succeeded in installing hackintosh on it.

I tried to install too, but can't find AHCI option in BIOS settings. When I boot to installer, it gave me a forbidden sign. Could you please tell me how did you tackle down the RAID/AHCI problem?

Thank you.

Hi,
I still get the "Couldn't allocate runtime" from Clover. This was a ongoing issue with Video, Thunderbolt or multiple PCIe devices. I attempted to tweak my rtvariables a bit, but I still get a do not enter sign a large percentage of my boots.
I could not solve any SATA issues or Killer Wireless via Airport. So for now its still a hobby with my external SSD USB3 drive. It would be nice to get it fully functional since the trackpad works good and bluetooth is functional. Wifi could always be solved with a little USB stick. But not having the internal drives still a issue.

Hi,
I still get the "Couldn't allocate runtime" from Clover. This was a ongoing issue with Video, Thunderbolt or multiple PCIe devices. I attempted to tweak my rtvariables a bit, but I still get a do not enter sign a large percentage of my boots.
I could not solve any SATA issues or Killer Wireless via Airport. So for now its still a hobby with my external SSD USB3 drive. It would be nice to get it fully functional since the trackpad works good and bluetooth is functional. Wifi could always be solved with a little USB stick. But not having the internal drives still a issue.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@xenophex

I have good news. I managed to get all of my SATA drives showing and install high sierra with basically everything working except wifi. I will use a USB wifi in the mean time.

Step 1: Open clover configurator
Step 2: Tab AHCI -> FixSata and in the section below it Drop OEM SATA.
Step 3: Install this kext that I modified. It's rehab man's kext originally.
Step 4: Win!

Also, to fix the random crashes just after the bootloader, tick slide=0 as a kernel boot flag in clover configurator.

This took me 4 days to figure out. Finally got it. Hope this works for you too. As a side note, I have the G792 17X but I assume they run the same rubbish bios in any case. I can also drop you all the EFI folder that I used if you want to.

Attachments

• SATA-100-series-unsupported-acer-predator-g792.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 183
@xenophex

I have good news. I managed to get all of my SATA drives showing and install high sierra with basically everything working except wifi. I will use a USB wifi in the mean time.

Step 1: Open clover configurator
Step 2: Tab AHCI -> FixSata and in the section below it Drop OEM SATA.
Step 3: Install this kext that I modified. It's rehab man's kext originally.
Step 4: Win!

Also, to fix the random crashes just after the bootloader, tick slide=0 as a kernel boot flag in clover configurator.

This took me 4 days to figure out. Finally got it. Hope this works for you too. As a side note, I have the G792 17X but I assume they run the same rubbish bios in any case. I can also drop you all the EFI folder that I used if you want to.

Not necessary to add RAID id to SATA-100-series-unsupported.
RAID device-id should be supported by SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Cool, I just came back to mention I noticed my BIOS were in SATA Mode: RAID and there was no way to change it. I'll give this a shot.

I'm pretty sure both will work (modified SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext or SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext as is).
You should compare performance between the two methods, as each will load a different class for the same controller.

You running as a Mac Pro 6,1 or another SMBIOS setup?

MacPro6,1 is probably not a good choice for a laptop.

@Raboebie

Hi, I have 17 inch predator as well. So far, I was using working Sierra installation, where pretty much everything worked except second display over DisplayPort.

Now it's time for upgrade macOS, so I'm trying High Sierra installation, but I encountered problem with immediate restart after OSXAptioFix allocates memory. Could you please send me your efi clover folder or give me some advice?

Thanks

@Raboebie

Hi, I have 17 inch predator as well. So far, I was using working Sierra installation, where pretty much everything worked except second display over DisplayPort.

Now it's time for upgrade macOS, so I'm trying High Sierra installation, but I encountered problem with immediate restart after OSXAptioFix allocates memory. Could you please send me your efi clover folder or give me some advice?

Thanks

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • Screenshot at Dec 26 15-50-39.png
    Screenshot at Dec 26 15-50-39.png
    472.4 KB · Views: 219
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back