Contribute
Register

Acer 4830T Battery Status issues after upgrade to El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it was from long ago, make sure you do a fresh extract/re-patch.

Also, ACPI patches required have changed over time...
OK will try that.

In the mean time, I just rebuild from scratch again using your guide you mentioned a few posts back ('createinstallmedia' method) and using a different USB stick. I have not yet rebooted yet and the battery status is working.

Is there anything I can check before I reboot ?
That is, so that I can do a before-after comparison ?

Capture IOReg before and after reboot, that might be helpful ;)
Just did that.
Rebooted and took another snap shot of the ioreg.
No significant difference between the two :(

Really frustrating.
The USB Installer always shows the battery status every time but after it installs it's broken.

One thing I have never seen before is that I have two disks listed in diskutil even though I only have one physical disk:

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]4830-MBP:~ macnb$ diskutil list
[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:          Apple_CoreStorage EC-4830                 92.5 GB    disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   4:                  Apple_HFS EC-BKUP                 26.6 GB    disk0s4[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:                  Apple_HFS EC-4830                +92.1 GB    disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]                                 CD45D6EF-34EB-4D0F-898F-86F68EF894B6[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]                                 Unencrypted[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]4830-MBP:~ macnb$[/FONT]

Where's the "internal, virtual" disk1 come from ?
Is that causing any strangeness ?

Google 'core storage revert'.

Google 'core storage revert'.

OMG !
That was it.
I ran :
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]diskutil coreStorage revert CD45D6EF-34EB-4D0F-898F-86F68EF894B6[/FONT]

Rebooted and get this in the menu bar:

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 23.42.40.png

It's fixed

But why ?
Why did Core Storage screw up my days leave with this menu bar battery status issue ?

Nah...it was the fact that something in the OS changed (core storage revert) and restarting got the Battery status back BUT rebooting again, lost it :crazy::crazy:

I have started with the fresh DSDT extracted by pressing F4 in Clover menu.
Patched it with all the usual stuff including the 4830T battery patches but the new DSDT makes no difference.

But why ?
Why did Core Storage screw up my days leave with this menu bar for battery status issue ?

Good questions... and don't know. You wouldn't normally think of it as related.

But if that turns out to be the cause, easy enough to recommend...

Good questions... and don't know. You wouldn't normally think of it as related.

But if that turns out to be the cause, easy enough to recommend...
No I spoke too soon. That was not the cause. Doing the revert caused a change in the OS that enabled battery status for one boot only.

No I spoke too soon. That was not the cause. Doing the revert caused a change in the OS that enabled battery status for one boot only.

Does it change if you boot without caches?

Does it change if you boot without caches?
No it does not make any difference.
Not sure if Clover is really booting without cache when I select it (after pressing space bar) because it's very fast..like 2 seconds...but that could be due to the SSD speed.

No it does not make any difference.
Not sure if Clover is really booting without cache when I select it (after pressing space bar) because it's very fast..like 2 seconds...but that could be due to the SSD speed.

Boot without caches is slightly broken (has been for a while), although it does introduce kernel flag "-f" (which does something).

Boot without caches is slightly broken (has been for a while), although it does introduce kernel flag "-f" (which does something).
Ahaha..that -f flag made a difference...but only twice.

First time I used it, battery status came up. Subsequent boot (without login)...nothing.
Logged in and restarted, battery status came up.

But now no more status.

Seems something to do with caches (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back