Contribute
Register

Acer 4830T Battery Status issues after upgrade to El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try updating the kext, delete the current kext and try downloading RehabMan's ACPIBatteryManager.kext from his Bitbucket repo and make sure you install the Release version.
Thx. I am already running the latest release version of ACPIBatteryManager.kext (1.60.3).

This is really weird.

In the Energy Saver preferences, I cannot even adjust Computer Sleep nor Display Sleep settings IF I click "Show battery status in menu bar". I can set them as long as I do not click the Show checkbox.

Seems like a problem with Preferences and Menu bar items.
Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 13.52.41.png

Spoke too soon.

The battery status is only shown on the first boot after installation of El Capitan completes.
Any subsequent restart kills the battery status from the menu bar.

I wiped the SSD from the Installer USB and did a fresh install.
On first boot, all is fine. I go through the usual set-up (country, wifi setup, user account, etc) and the battery status is working fine. If I now restart, the battery status is gone.

I rebuilt and verified this behaviour several times - spent nearly four hours now :cry:.
IOREG shows that the battery manager kext is loaded.
System Information shows that battery is connected and charging/or not.
BUT, System Preferences will not allow me to tick "Show battery status in menu bar".

I used the latest Unibeast method. I updated the Unibeast USB with the latest Clover r3320 (since the El Capitan install app is version 10.11.1). Installs fine (..at least there's no obvious errors, crashes, warnings, etc).

At a loss as how to fix this (apart from skipping El Capitan and go back to Yosemite).

Any suggestions welcome.

Did you rebuild cache?
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Did you rebuild cache?
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

I have downloaded that kext twice now.
No I did not rebuild the cache as I am loading that kext via Clover :
Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 14.34.00.png
IOREG is showing that the kext is being loaded.

I have downloaded that kext twice now.
No I did not rebuild the cache as I am loading that kext via Clover :
View attachment 160463
IOREG is showing that the kext is being loaded.

All kexts should be installed to /S/L/E or /L/E (10.11+).

All kexts should be installed to /S/L/E or /L/E (10.11+).

Really ?
They all load fine from Clover EFI partition where they are.

Anyway, so I did what you suggested and moved all those kexts out of 10.11 folder and into /L/E.
Repaired permissions and rebuild the cache.
Boots fine like before but no change in battery status problem.

You can read about it in post #2 of the guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

From where did you download OS X?

I'll read post#2 of that guide. thx.

These are steps I took:
  1. On my Dell-530 desktop (which is still 10.10.5), I went to the app store and downloaded 10.11.1.
  2. I then downloaded Unibeast and created a GPT USB installer.
  3. I then downloaded Clover r3320 and updated the USB Installer (because Unibeast has older/incompatible Clover for booting 10.11.1).
  4. On the USB Installer EFI Partition, I copied my DSDT, SSDT and those kexts to 10.11 folder and modified the config.plist to match my laptop.
  5. On the Acer-4830, I booted USB Installer and ran Disk Utility to Erase the GPT partition on the SSD. BTW, Battery Status was displayed correctly in the Installer menu bar.
  6. Installed 10.11.1 and let it restart when it finished.
  7. On restart, selected USB Installer to start Clover and selected the newly installed SSD to boot.
  8. New OSX booted fine and battery status displayed in the menu bar. AC Adapter detected, etc.
  9. I followed the usual OSX setup steps (Country, iCloud, wifi, etc) and restarted.
  10. Booted Clover from USB Installer and selected SSD to boot
  11. OSX booted fine BUT Battery status now gone from the menu and cannot enable it.
  12. Installed Clover r3320 onto SSD EFI partition and copied the CONFIG.PLIST, kexts etc from the USB EFI to the SSD EFI and ejected USB.
  13. Booted straight from SSD and OSX booted fine BUT again, no battery status.

I'll read post#2 of that guide. thx.

These are steps I took:
  1. On my Dell-530 desktop (which is still 10.10.5), I went to the app store and downloaded 10.11.1.
  2. I then downloaded Unibeast and created a GPT USB installer.
  3. I then downloaded Clover r3320 and updated the USB Installer (because Unibeast has older/incompatible Clover for booting 10.11.1).
  4. On the USB Installer EFI Partition, I copied my DSDT, SSDT and those kexts to 10.11 folder and modified the config.plist to match my laptop.
  5. On the Acer-4830, I booted USB Installer and ran Disk Utility to Erase the GPT partition on the SSD. BTW, Battery Status was displayed correctly in the Installer menu bar.
  6. Installed 10.11.1 and let it restart when it finished.
  7. On restart, selected USB Installer to start Clover and selected the newly installed SSD to boot.
  8. New OSX booted fine and battery status displayed in the menu bar. AC Adapter detected, etc.
  9. I followed the usual OSX setup steps (Country, iCloud, wifi, etc) and restarted.
  10. Booted Clover from USB Installer and selected SSD to boot
  11. OSX booted fine BUT Battery status now gone from the menu and cannot enable it.
  12. Installed Clover r3320 onto SSD EFI partition and copied the CONFIG.PLIST, kexts etc from the USB EFI to the SSD EFI and ejected USB.
  13. Booted straight from SSD and OSX booted fine BUT again, no battery status.

Did you patch your own DSDT?

Did you patch your own DSDT?
Yes. It's the one I did long time ago that worked very well with Mavericks, then Yosemite and now El Capitan. You helped me with the battery patches (that are now in your patches now).

Yes. It's the one I did long time ago that worked very well with Mavericks, then Yosemite and now El Capitan. You helped me with the battery patches (that are now in your patches now).

Since it was from long ago, make sure you do a fresh extract/re-patch.

Also, ACPI patches required have changed over time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back