CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm taking receipt of a Mac IIci case in the next few days. It's always been a beautiful looking case, in my eyes. I want to turn this into a Hackintosh. I'm aware that the ports and card slots on the back of the computer case won't line up, but is this a feasible project with a mATX motherboard?

Advice, suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

Krishna

I'm taking receipt of a Mac IIci case in the next few days. It's always been a beautiful looking case, in my eyes. I want to turn this into a Hackintosh. I'm aware that the ports and card slots on the back of the computer case won't line up, but is this a feasible project with a mATX motherboard?

Advice, suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

Krishna

Yes a mATX will fit. The box is 5.5 x 11.9 x 14.4 inches. I would look at a SFF PSU such as the SilverStone ST45SF-G full modular unit.

Please post a photo story of your progress with this project.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks neilhart. I'll look into that PSU. One concern I have is finding a way to mount the motherboard and drives inside the case without it moving around. I'll definitely document the process.

One thought is the case is not all that deep/tall and if you elect to install a GPU you may find that the card is too tall. In this case you could use a PCIe riser cable to re-position the GPU.

Anyway take a look at this web site for guide to diss-assemby: http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com/archives/vintage/0027.php

Good modding,
neil

The IIci arrived. Case measurements are more than enough to accommodate a mATX board. I've posted some thoughts and photos of the case on my blog. The biggest challenge will be securing the motherboard to the case. There's only one screw at the base of the unit. I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the motherboard to the case. Can motherboard mounting rails be purchased?

The motherboard mount arrived. I believe I can drill a hole to affix it to the base of the IIci's case. I'm not going to drill anything until I finalize on selecting the power supply. To make use of the existing slot ports on the back of the case, I may have to purchase a video card that supports dual display port out. DVI cables won't fit.

motherboard_mount.jpeg

So...for those who may be interested... I finally have a status update on my Mac IIci case mod. I wound up getting an i7 Mac mini. It fits perfectly inside the case. With two USB fans, the mini gets good airflow and runs cool. Best of all, every cable fits neatly through the ports on the back of the Mac IIci without the need to drill / cut / maim the original case. The eGPU sits to the side of my "new" Mac IIci. :)
IMG_3247.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back