Motherboard
G5 hack in progress...
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone... New to these forums but not so new to PC building/modding/Hackintoshing, but this my first project where all three of those will come together...

I've been meaning to put together a decent Hackintosh since my Macbook decided to die a while ago, couldn't decided what route I wanted to go though. Fate decided for me - I found someone throwing out a gutted but very nice G5 case and thought it was perfect. I've read a bunch of people's G5 build logs and I've decided that I want to go with a new aftermarket motherboard tray, and keep the interior as simple as possible.

I have a couple questions before I dive in and start ordering stuff/hacking up the case. Mainly, they relate to the fact that my G5 case is the seemingly not-so-common "late 2005" model. There are two main differences between this and the earlier ones that most people seem to have. First, on the back just below the side panel latch, there is a plastic cover that encloses what appears to be a wifi antenna. Under the plastic is a solid metal recessed area with an opening at the top for the wires. It would seem that this would interfere with a clean installation of a motherboard tray/back panel (ie. the Mountain Mods or Lian Li trays that everyone uses), because the edge of the panel would end up right down the middle of this. Anyone encountered this/have any suggestions?

rp.jpg

The second question relates to the front panel connectors. The case I found did not have the front panel PCB/cable in it, however, from doing a bit of research it seems that the late-2005 model case would have had a slightly different front panel board that would make things difficult anyway. Can anyone look at this photo and tell me if I could simply buy a front panel board made for the older generation and pop it in? (I am aware of the wiring adaptations that need to be done - I just want to know if it will fit in the case, and connect to the power button/LED properly.)

fp.jpg

And a couple last general questions, since there seems to be some conflicting information floating around... first, will a full size ATX motherboard fit in the case, without cutting the top shelf, if the original PSU is removed and the board can go all the way to the bottom of the case? Second, will a regular ATX power supply fit on the top shelf without having to hack it up? Measurements seem to suggest yes but only just.

Thanks for reading, and thank you to everyone who has already provided all the valuable info on these forums!

The front panel can be exchanged with one from the 2004 models. If you are from germany I can send you one...

Full ATX works great if you remove the G5 PSU. Any regular PSU will fit in the top shelf. Just don't use a UBER 1500W PSU which is very long.
A Full ATX mod with Mountain Mods tray can be found in my first build.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/83498-dschijns-g5-mod.html

Second, will a regular ATX power supply fit on the top shelf without having to hack it up? Measurements seem to suggest yes but only just.
Yes the PSU will fit without hacking (there are plenty of examples of this being done across the forums) You DO have to Hack the shelf itself for the main PSU fan to vent through.

Thanks for the replies everyone, pretty much what I figured but just wanted to confirm.

I think I've thought up a solution to the wifi antenna hole problem. I plan to get a piece of 1/16"x3/4" aluminium (same dimensions as the plastic cover), cut it to the same shape, and attach it to the hole in place of the cover. It should sit flush with the back of the case (the plastic doesn't), and I'll let the motherboard tray overlap this new piece (the new piece will probably be attached to the motherboard tray backplate).

The front panel can be exchanged with one from the 2004 models. If you are from germany I can send you one...
Thanks for the offer but I'm in Canada... a little bit far! I'll find one on eBay.

Thanks for the replies everyone, pretty much what I figured but just wanted to confirm.

I think I've thought up a solution to the wifi antenna hole problem. I plan to get a piece of 1/16"x3/4" aluminium (same dimensions as the plastic cover), cut it to the same shape, and attach it to the hole in place of the cover. It should sit flush with the back of the case (the plastic doesn't), and I'll let the motherboard tray overlap this new piece (the new piece will probably be attached to the motherboard tray backplate).

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Canada... a little bit far! I'll find one on eBay.

Or, you could cut up the mobo tray backplate to make room for the antenna... might be a cleaner solution.

Or, you could cut up the mobo tray backplate to make room for the antenna... might be a cleaner solution.
I was thinking about that, but all the photos that I've seen seem to indicate that if I were to cut into the tray far enough to make room for this opening, I'd be cutting into (or very very close to) a fan opening, and I think that would look more awkward than filling the hole with a nice flush piece of aluminum.

The Laser Hive ones would work, seems like they would cover the entire hole - but that's more than I really want to spend. I like the Mountain Mods tray and I think I'm going to go with that, unless I can find an old case to cannibalize.

You are correct about the LaserHive solution, the backplate took care of the antenna hole.

My second G5 project is what I'm referring to.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back