Contribute
Register

8400GS Success! And some things I learned about Device IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
geez after viewing on another computer it appears this is a monitor issue eh?

Thank you so much!!!

I can confirm this method works!!
After hours of messing with enablers and kexts without any results this simple string fully enabled my gigabyte 8400GS on 10.6.7!!

Note: after updating to 10.6.8 (before rebooting) I had to install the IOPCIFamily fix to avoid the dreaded [ PCI Configuration begin ] issue.
Once rebooted, the update had replaced my nvidia drivers, so I added the string once more, rebooted, and I now have a fully supported 8400GS on 10.6.8!!

=)

I can also confirm that this method works.

PROS
  • I can boot in 32- or 64-bit.

• Works in desired resolution (1920x1080).

• CI/QE both work.

CONS
  • Must use VGA-out ONLY, but when you do, animation, such as, Quick Look is very choppy.

• If you want to use DVI-out, you must plug in a powered-off monitor into the 8400GS VGA-out port, otherwise, you will see a non-responsive black screen. This method will eliminate the choppiness. The monitor connected to the VGA-out will act as if it is not connected to the computer. This leads me to believe that a dual monitor setup is not possible with this card.

• Resolution change causes a stuck blue screen. Hint: Depending on your build, you will either have to sleep your computer and wake it up for the new resolution, or turn off and on your computer.

NOTES
  • HDMI-out could not be tested.

• I added
    Code:
    0x10c310de&0xfff0ffff
    to NVDANV50.kext. Be extra careful of any typos.

ADDITIONAL
  • I would just like to point out to people having trouble using this method like I did, connect your monitor to the VGA-out ONLY. Or connect a turned-off monitor to the VGA-out and your primary display to the DVI-out (or in my case, plug both VGA-out and DVI-out to the same monitor).

• Anyone have a dual-monitor set up with this card? I would love to know before purchasing a second monitor.

• Also, is there a fix for the resolution change blue screen?

I too am having trouble getting dual display working. I think i have tryed just about everything.

I have a EVGA 8400GS 512mb. I have a working system with 10.6.8. almost all working.

I have added the propper device IDs to ...50Hal.kex, & ..Resman.kext

tried both yes and no in graphicsenabler. and added the
<string>arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1</string> under kernel flags in extra com.apple.boot.plist

I have used efi studio to add a hex string to com.apple.boot.plist

I can get resolutions to work with DVI as soon as I plug in a VGA monitor and detect Displays I get the blank screen. I did find out that if i unplug all monitors connections and plug back my DVI monitor my display will come back normal.

system profiler still shows Unknown nVidia card.

after any changes I run Kext utility and reboot.

Is there a way to start over and erase all graghics drives and reinstall without reinstalling the OS?

does anybody have this card working with dual displays on a 10.6.8 system?

FINALLY SUCCESS ON 10.6.8 and 10.7

After days and months struggling with 8400GS on 10.6.7, 10.6.8 and finally 10.7, I seem to have a working solution. Unfortunately none of the plist solutions were working as THEY WERE NOT COMPLETE. This is what I have found working for all the above builds.
1) Edit Info.plist for all the three {NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, NVEnabler_64.kext (krazubu one)} and add your device id to info.plist of ALL THREE.
2) Using kext helper and kext utility install the 1st two kexts to S/L/E and NVEnabler to /E/E.
3) Disable Graphics Enabler in com.apple.boot.plist

Reboot....Enjoy :)

Card ID: 0x06e4
Res: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
Output: DVI

Hi Everyone,

As a noob myself in the world of Hackintosh, I'd also like to add my sincere thanks to everyone who has posted/does post the masses of useful information and fruits of what must be their greatest frustration.

However, I have an issue which, no matter what I do (and believe me, I've scanned just about every forum I can find for advice and tried all the things they suggest), I cannot get my setup to provide any resolution other than 1024x768.

I HAD an ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB...having read quite a lot of the forums, it became clear that this was a relative non-starter in the hackintosh world, apart from a few people who managed to get it working using the all_in_one.rar method posted by another helpful chap.

However, I swapped that card for a Gigabyte 8400GS 512MB GDDR2 and have still got the same issues...namely:

1) I cannot get any resolution other than the 1024x768

2) When trying to make the NVDANV50HAL.Kext and NVDARESMAN.Kext changes, the NVDANV change is OK, as I can add the device ID to the IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH key. But, the NVDARESMAN change is impossible, as it has no IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH key, nor does it have anything similar.

My question would be to ask what are the locations (all of them) possible and probable, where I should place my device ID?

I used a bonafide SL retail DVD along with iBoot to create my hackintosh. I used TonyMac's Multibeast EasyBeast install after doing the 10.6.8 upgrade. The BEST I ever got was the resolutions to come up ONCE with my ATI card and even then, I don't have a clue how, as I hadn't changed anything. However, it didn't survive a restart, and constant kernel panics ensued, which were centred around the ATI5000 kext. After a re-install of SL and going through the upgrade process again to 10.6.8, plus changing out the video card to the 8400GS, I'm still no further forward.

It seems that there are just SOOO many different setups that none of these guides are 100% correct for everyone.

Can anyone point me in a direction that might help?

Thanks in advance...

T

I have 8400GS 1GB and added 0x10c310de&amp;0xfff0ffff this in NVDANV50Hal.kext . GraphicsEnabler Yes. And now my card is working.
I only have very slow performance.......
I'm running Lion with no other NV next at all. Only adde ID
Any suggestions?

Ed

Good lookin out on this post. It helped me out alot!!!! Twice!

I used DPCI manager as instructed to get the device ID for my:

Asus EN8400GS/DI/512MD2(LP)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 02415&SID=

Device ID: 10de:10c3

On my Samsung 23" LCD, now have 1080P (1920x1080) resolution with quartz extreme and everything enabled. I have all my resolution selections as well. Fully operational!
:clap:

HI! This forums has been so useful to me so many times that I wanted to post my experience as it could help anyone at a time.
I building an i7 + X58A-UD3R Hackintosh for a friend.
It happens that he bought an EVGA 8400GS, as I've Hackintoshed another friend's computer before and he had this video card and it worked off the box.
But this time, this card didn't worked.
After some research on this thread I've made it work. It's a SL 10.6.7 brand new install.
On the box, the product sticker says:

GeForce 8400GS 512Mb DDR3 P/N: 512-P3-133-KL

To make it short:
- Navigate to the file /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext
- Make a copy of this file (put it on the desktop if you want)
- Right-click on it and then click on Show Package Contents
- Now you'll see a folder named Contents, get into it.
- Inside that folder you'll find a file called Info.plist. Leave this window open so we can access it easily later.
- Now, go to Spotlight and type Terminal and then hit ENTER. Or, you can go to Applications>Utilities>Terminal.
- Once inside the terminal type Sudo Nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist or you can drag and drop the file to the terminal and it'll do the rest "typing" it for you (NOTE: It'll ask for your password. But it you don't have one on your account, it'll not allow you to edit the file. So it's a good idea to set a pass on your account before trying to edit the file).
- You'll see now some kind of editor.
- Search, or look through the text for IOPCIPrimaryMatch and right beneath it a lot of number and letters.
- Add this line 0x10c310de&amp;0xffe0ffff
- Hit Control+O to save (it'll ask for a file name, just hit ENTER)
- Quit Terminal.
- Run Kext Utility to rebuild caches, fix permissions and other stuff before changing resolution.
- At this time I was able to select the correct resolution for my monitor (1920x1080), but when resolution changed, I got an blue screen (although I set remote desktop from another computer to keep monitoring just in case, and from the other computer I saw the resolution changed and the desktop was still operatively perfect). A reboot just fixed it.

Now it works at 1920x1080, although I see it is not as snappy as I would wanted, and youtube video at 720p Full Screen is choppy (1080p too).
So I have yet to improve it. Any clues?

PD: I'm using the VGA output so far. Still didn't try DVI (as I have MY computer hooked to it).

PD2: I've just noticed that DVI output is not working....

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back