Contribute
Register

8400GS Success! And some things I learned about Device IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same boat, but can't check dvi as I don't have a dvi monitor. Just curious, what scores do you get in cinebench?

2.26 WOW!
That's horrible!
Is there anyway to improve it? Any clue?
I've only done the /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext modification....maybe if I add the com.apple.Boot.ini modification too, or try to put NVenabler64 (although it didn't work alone, maybe in combination...).

PS: Added the PCIroot thingy and cinebench is still 2.2something...

I'm thinking it has something to do with AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, but I don't know what to do. I'm gonna try out a 9800 GTX + as a replacement, hopefully it will be a better performer.

Got my 9800 GTX+ today and it worked oob and gives at least a 13x performance increase over what the 8400 GS gave me in cinebench 11.5. 13x performance for 2x price? Should have gotten the 9800 GTX+ in the first place ;) . Check ebay, there are some pretty cheap used ones. I guess I'm out the $20 this card cost me but oh well, I can probably find a use for it elsewhere or keep it as a backup.

eledu71 said:
(although I set remote desktop from another computer to keep monitoring just in case, and from the other computer I saw the resolution changed and the desktop was still operatively perfect). A reboot just fixed it.

How do you do "remote desktop" on a mac?

Unfortunately for my cards , i can not only edit NVDANV50Hal.kext just like poster publish. i always failed with it, but i can make it work now...

2 method to make my cards working now with Lion 10.7.2

1. in this link and will known as Unknown NVIDIA cards, but everything is working.
2. in like in the link but watch my reply and download aty_init *not using nvenabler.kext and will known as Geforce 8400 GS in the system.

note: it's almost like poster method but a bit different, well, at least i can make it work, fully accelerated, vga, hdmi, dvi, all working for both ways

ps : multi monitor supported.

bojzi said:
LOL, that's funny, I've just got my 8400GS to work 2 days ago and, wouldn't you know it, it's a 0x10de10c3 also.
The funny part is that my 8400GS is a Gygabite 8400GS with 512MB DDR3 RAM and VGA/DVI/HDMI.

For me, to get it working, I had to enter my id into the GeForce, NVDANV50 and NVDResman kexts, install NVEnabler and have GraphicsEnabler set to Yes.
Now that it's working, I'm worried about removing NVEnabler to see if it'll work with only my modified kexts and GraphicsEnabler. :)

EDIT:
Nope, doesn't work without NVEnabler... I've even got the PCIRootUID in com.apple.boot.plist, but no dice.

EDIT2:
Just to clarify, I've got a dual screen set-up with one screen on VGA and the other one on HDMI. Unfortunately, when I use DVI and HDMI, I get picture on only one monitor so I have to have at least one of them on VGA. :|

*SIGH* I've spent the night trying to get this running, and i'm at a complete loss.

I'm a mac guy, I'm not AT ALL use to this level of trouble shooting. But i've got it into my mind that I want to build a low power media server with a bunch of drives in a htpc case, and apple simply doesn't build something that would fit my needs. Because i'm not use to this level of involvement in coding you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

First my set up.

Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H
I3 530 2.93GHz
8GB Ram
Nvidia 8500GT (this is my original card, which works with DVI, but does not have an HDMI port - which is crucial to my set up. I have tried using a DVI-HDMI cable but that does not yield satisfactory results. I either have an inch black border around the screen, or if i turn overscan 'ON' i lose an inch of screen info. This is why i picked up a New Gigabyte 8400GS because i read it was a low power card that would work)

i followed this guide :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1755870

Because I also have a Gigabyte 8400 GS, and i've tried to follow the above quoted instructions but i've had zero luck. I checked my device ID, and it's the same as above (0x10de10c3), but when i tried to edit the NVDANV50.ktext i got an error when i saved it (saying it wasn't correct or something..) When i restarted my resolution was much lower (800 X 800 or something). Luckily I made a back up of the original info.plist and copied it over, so i can still use my Hackintosh with the original 8500GT. I also tried to edit the NVDResman & Geforce kexts, but i had no idea where to edit in the device ID. Even with the NVDANV50.ktext, i'm not sure i did it correctly as i got the error. I first copied an entire line of code, and then pasted it in. It didn't match so i hit the tab key twice to align it (perhaps that's part of the problem?) and then i copied in the specific ID # into the line of code.

Also, i'm wondering if my card is doomed to fail as it's not a true 512mb card, but rather a 128mb turbo cache card that uses system memory to reach 512mb. the model # is GV-N84STC-512I. When i use the Apple system profiler it reports the card properly as an 8400GS, but with only 1mb of vram, If i install NVenabler, it identifies the card as "unidentified Nvidia card" with 0mb.

Is this card incompatible with Hackintoshes?

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to provide as much info as possible to help anyone with troubleshooting ideas.

wow... I've been a 3 day battle with this thing but finally have full use of my Asus EN8400GS Silent 512M DDR2 video card! Let's talk turkey.

First, my build.

Intel i7 960 cpu
MSI X58M mobo
Patriot Sector 5 Ram 6x4gig total of 24 (audio machine and ram is cheap!)
3 Different WD HDD Drives (1 system, 1 Audio, 1 backup.)
I am using a DSDT I found some place... Not sure where. The only Kext I have is FakeSMC.
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
0x10c3 added to NVDANV50

Now, for some reason when I set up my system with SL 10.6.3 (cd) it would not load without PCIRootUID=1. When I upgraded to 10.6.7 I had full use of the card with the setup above BUT PCIRootUID=1 was still in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist Everything worked fine.

For some strange reason, When I upgraded to 10.6.8 the video card went back to only one resolution, very bad. Three days later on a lark I remove PCIRootUID=1 from org.chameleon.Boot.plist and bam! It works.

I have no idea why, but, my system doesn't need PCIRootUID=1 to boot in 10.6.8 AND it was killing my video card. Crazy, crazy.

It's all working now!

Keep hope and keep :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back