Contribute
Register

8400GS Success! And some things I learned about Device IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I found out from another thread that if I hook up both the VGA and DVI at the same time to the same monitor that DVI will work correctly (avoiding the black screen of VGA success).

Still need to research getting dual monitors to work with this card. (Which might be documented in this thread somewhere, I just need to go back and look again.)

i gave up on it. sleep wouldnt work with this card in g33 inspiron 530.
got instead evga 9500 gt and it runs sweet...perfect!

I can confirm success on 10.6.7 with an EVGA 8400 gs 512 MB DDR3. I added the device ID to the .plist listed in the original post and have GraphicsEnabler=Yes. The only thing to mention is that in order To use DVI, I have to also have VGA hooked up. I am very interested in a solution for this.

Hi to all, firstly - many thank for the information here! Its been no end of help with my second 8400GS card (Newer ID).

I have read several mentions of a blue screen on boot, now seem to be exactly what I am getting.

All 3 of my GA41 based machines do the following:

Every now and then, they will boot to a blue screen, the machine has booted up fine, if you sleep it and then wake it - your screen comes up fine!

They are all connected to VGA connectors, machine details are in the sig but briefly the video cards are: Gigabyte 8400GS (V1.3), Gigabyte 8400GS (V3.0), Gigabyte 9500GT (V?.?)

Any ideas would be of great help! Thanks.

Sigh ok I'm having some trouble here. I'm pretty new at this stuff but I've been learning as most of us have had to do to achieve full functionality. I have a new 8400 GS card, and am sure there are probably some issues with it. I can get OS X installed and updated to 10.6.7 but now I'm trying to tackle the resolution problem and can't seem to get this fix to work.

I went into NVDANV50 or whatever and added the script 0x10c310de&0xfff0ffff to the list. I used DPCIM to find out my id and surprisingly it's the same as the OP's. I would think it would be different because it's a newer model, but I guess not. Also in DPCIM it listed another id under nvdias code, but said it was an audio device. I assume its the hdmi audio function of the card, which im not going to use, but does it need to be added to the script list to get my resoultion options to appear?

So anyway i did that, but when I got to the part where I'm supposed update the extensions.mkext part, I didn't know what I was supposed to update? I just used multibeast each time and ran utilities.

That didn't work. Then I decided to go exploring (because I'm so new to this) through the s/l/extensions folder for anything that had to do with nvidia graphics.. found a geforceenabler kext, added the script to that .plist too. Nothing. All the while my about this mac page does identify my card as 10c3, still no resolution options.

I decided to goof around and modify the iopcimatch string in the nvidiaenabler .plist, that didn't fix it. I added pcirootuid=1 into the com.apple.boot file and that didn't do anything. After that I decided to delete nvenabler and that didn't do anything. Tried to modify NVDARESman kext or whatever but I didn't know what to modify, couldnt find any strings that mentioned iopci anything or any scripts that look like a vid card id. Then I tried to add it back with multibeast and when I tried to reboot, it fails. Tried to boot with iboot and that wouldn't work either, even in safe mode.

Don't know what to do now. Obviously I'll have to reinstall os x because I don't know anything about making any kind of backup file to revert to if I screw up settings. Any ideas? I don't know where to go from here.

Weird, tried to boot again and it allowed me to, but still no resolution options. Tried to modify the suggested info.plists with the vid card id and no f's or 0's, nothing. I tried to type in "Graphics Mode"="1600x900x32" at boot screen, didn't change anything. Talk about frustrating. Is there anyway to run my DSDT again without reinstalling os x? I figured I try from a fresh start.

rdhughestech said:
I can confirm success on 10.6.7 with an EVGA 8400 gs 512 MB DDR3. I added the device ID to the .plist listed in the original post and have GraphicsEnabler=Yes. The only thing to mention is that in order To use DVI, I have to also have VGA hooked up. I am very interested in a solution for this.

I am having the same issue. Thanks for posting this because thats how I found out I did actually have DVI to use outside of safe mode. Mine works fine in safe mode w/o VGA cable connected. It has to be a simple fix.

Think the reason my card isn't working is because it's a shared memory card. Tried everything, can't get the resolution to change. It's prob for the best anyway, this card causes random restarts in Windows 7. Any suggestions for an inexpensive vid card (under $60) that I shouldn't have too much trouble with?

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks to OP and all who posted in this thread; after much headache you helped me get my Asus 8400GS 512MB up and running. I am having some slight issues though with Safari and the way OSX displays some text (but not all text). I have attached a screenshot. Some text looks crisp and clear while other text looks blurry. Any idea of a fix?

screenshot20110630at650.png

Here are my specs:
10.6.8 vanilla build installed with iboot and multibeast
gigabyte ga-p67a-ud3-b3 motherboard
i5 2500k 4.2ghz
16gb ripjaws ram
corsair 80gb ssd
hp dvd burner

My device id was the same as OP's in the original post. Images appear to display fine without any blur. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back