Contribute
Register

$700 Dual Boot Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm relatively new to custom PC building, so I thought I'd ask you veterans for some advice.

I'd like a computer that works with OSX El Capitan (And in the future macOS Sierra) and Windows 10 around the $700 price point.
Ideally I'd want it to be able to easily be upgraded in the future (concerning the motherboard, I'm guessing).

I'd use it for programming, photo/video editing, music production, light gaming (mostly CS:GO).

It would be great if you could give me a few tips and recommend parts.

A huge thank you in advance!

P.S.
If you know a good place for some literature about PC Building so I can read up on it, that would be awesome!

... around the $700 price point...

I'd use it for programming, photo/video editing, music production, light gaming (mostly CS:GO).

Fastest i5 will probably cost you ~$225. Mobo, $100. (2) 1TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM drives, $100. PSU, $100. 4x4GB Memory, $125. Case $50.

If you want SSDs, increase your memory. SSD will be 2x as much for 1/4 the capacity, memory will be 2X (32GB) and 3X (64GB). Let's say that you go with a Crucial 512GB MX200 for $150. You might as well install 32GB or RAM as that should ensure no disc swapping.

Me, I would see if I could not format an HDD with 64K blocks instead of 4K blocks, if I were doing video and music work. But, as a boot device, I doubt that OSX or Windows will work with 64K block/cluster sizes; Windows because NTFS defaults to 4K cluster size, and OSX because it may need to go down as far as 2K cluster sizes, depending on the drive.

https://ejrh.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/cluster-size-experiment/

I would probably have an SSD for the OS and a 64k cluster size HDD just for video and music files. And when I burned those files to disc it would be at the lowest possible burner speed.

A well balanced system might be: $225 CPU, $225 RAM, $225 Video card, $100 mobo, $100 PSU, $150 SSD, $50 HDD, $50 case. Total, about $1100.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back