Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have to install EmuVariableUefi-64 and RC scripts on your motherboard?
I'm still struggling with reboots after wake from sleep, so I'm wondering if it depends on some issue related to em NVRAM
Do a search for completely disabling hibernation. That's another fix. Your sleep/wake issues are completely unrelated to 5k output.

No, I'm pretty sure I never did that, it doesn't sound familiar at all. Certainly I didn't have to do it for this monitor specifically. I can check if there's something specific to look for.

If your motherboard is the one you have in your signature (Z77X-UD5), your system is pretty different from mine, I thought you had a 100 series board. Thanks anyway!

Do a search for completely disabling hibernation. That's another fix. Your sleep/wake issues are completely unrelated to 5k output.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that too. I also tried with darkwake=0, darkwake=8 with no success.

However, I'm not totally sure that my wake from sleep issue is unrelated to 5k.

Wake from sleep is fine if I connect my monitor at 4K via mDP;
Wake from sleep is fine if I'm at 5k but I switch off the monitor before going to sleep (via keystroke or screen sharing);
Wake from sleep is fine even if I sleep my system before the nv_spanmodepolicy kicks in, soon after the boot when the UP2715K is still seen as two different monitors.

NVRAM seems to work right now, I managed to get 5K either by adding boot arguments in clover.config or by adding them directly in NVRAM via sudo nvram boot-args="nv_spanmodepolicy=1 nvda_drv=1"

Hello. I still cannot get this working on my 5.1 in 5K. I have tried so many things for so long and still nothing. Running Sierra 10.12.2. Dual DP provided from the company. it works fine in 4K but cannot get it into 5K. I have tried the Terminal commands, but Im not sure if it was all good. Please help. Thank you.

Hello. I still cannot get this working on my 5.1 in 5K. I have tried so many things for so long and still nothing. Running Sierra 10.12.2. Dual DP provided from the company. it works fine in 4K but cannot get it into 5K. I have tried the Terminal commands, but Im not sure if it was all good. Please help. Thank you.

You should at least give some details about your system if you want support, motherboard, gfx, etc. What terminal commands didi you try? Also, be sure that the blue dotted DP connector is attached to port 0 of your graphic card, which is generally the one closer to the motherboard.

You should at least give some details about your system if you want support, motherboard, gfx, etc. What terminal commands didi you try? Also, be sure that the blue dotted DP connector is attached to port 0 of your graphic card, which is generally the one closer to the motherboard.

Hello. Thank you for the reply. I will post the specs here. I have tried the
sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1 command
I get
nvram: Error getting variable - 'command': (iokit/common) data was not found
tried restarting in recovery and turned off the SIP.
I also tried
boot-args nv_spanmodepolicy=1 nvda_drv=1
I get
-bash: boot-args: command not found

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 15.34.08.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 15.34.08.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 159
5k worked for me by executing this command:
sudo nvram boot-args="nv_spanmodepolicy=1"
You can verify if the value is inserted correctly with this command:
nvram -p
(nvram content is a bit messy in terminal, you can check it better with IORegistry 2.1)

Howerer, I had the same results more easily by adding nv_spanmodepolicy=1 to boot arguments in clover config (see my config.plist in PlistEditPro in the image attached)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 16.20.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 16.20.15.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 174
5k worked for me by executing this command:
sudo nvram boot-args="nv_spanmodepolicy=1"
You can verify if the value is inserted correctly with this command:
nvram -p
(nvram content is a bit messy in terminal, you can check it better with IORegistry 2.1)

Howerer, I had the same results more easily by adding nv_spanmodepolicy=1 to boot arguments in clover config (see my config.plist in PlistEditPro in the image attached)

Thank you so much for the reply. I have applied the terminal command. Working on it now. I have never used clover. Is that usable with original mac? I thought it was only for hackintoshes. Where can I get clover? This is what I get in IOServices

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 09.01.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 09.01.15.png
    483.1 KB · Views: 173
Thank you so much for the reply. I have applied the terminal command. Working on it now. I have never used clover. Is that usable with original mac? I thought it was only for hackintoshes. Where can I get clover? This is what I get in IOServices

Update.
So I just tested that out. I'm posting what I get. The Mac is detecting two monitors instead of one. Also, the resolution on the screen is significantly worse on the dual DP than on the single mini DP at 4K. So I know its not 5K. Attaching the resolution panels to show the two monitors and the max resolution. I do not think it's correct.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 09.06.30.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 09.06.30.png
    82 KB · Views: 123
Update.
So I just tested that out. I'm posting what I get. The Mac is detecting two monitors instead of one. Also, the resolution on the screen is significantly worse on the dual DP than on the single mini DP at 4K. So I know its not 5K. Attaching the resolution panels to show the two monitors and the max resolution. I do not think it's correct.

This is what happens to me just after the boot. Then I switch the monitor off and on again, and the monitor is finally detected as a single 5k. If it doesn't happen, you may try to unplug the monitor's power cord. Also make sure that the blue dotted DP cord is attached on the primary DP port on the graphic card.

Your NVRAM looks fine to me, at least this is what I did with my hackintosh. Frankly I don't know if things are different with real macs (and yes, I don't think Clover is an option with real Macs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back