Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the same OC settings and I've no problems too in loading samples and big samples especially libraries for Kontakt. This is due to my thunderbolt 12tb raid where I store all sample libraries...
what kind of ddr4 did you buy? Can you give me model?

I got 2x this: https://www.alternate.co.uk/G-Skill/D464GB-2800-14-Ripjaws-V-K4/html/product/1230520
I'm not super experiences in OC, but in my former hack I had to downclock the ram for it to be stable, and the 2800mhz was basically the same as 2400. A shame the x99-E WS doesn't support higher mhz.

I've just installed some 1GB software on my osx drive from another internal drive, getting a bit of crackles and pops in the sound. So I guess my problem is not completely resolved jet, it's just not all the time I can reproduce it! But I'm still gonna try to have my soundcard directly attached to the hack.

I'm running VSL stuff for my orchestral sounds mostly, which also makes it the most heavy on RAM. I've tried all configurations almost I think of their sampler, but I have to dig in a bit more how other people has their settings, cause I don't expect that many to have 128GB ram available to fix it.

Sounds sweet with a thunderbolt 12TB raid. Can I dig your brain about it a bit?
- What raid do you run? Which case have you used? 7200rpm drives? and what pci card?
- Do you need to be mobile, since you don't just use all the wonderful SATA 6gb/s?
At least I was looking in to doing something similar at a point. But most of my writing is in my homestudio...

I got 2x this: https://www.alternate.co.uk/G-Skill/D464GB-2800-14-Ripjaws-V-K4/html/product/1230520
I'm not super experiences in OC, but in my former hack I had to downclock the ram for it to be stable, and the 2800mhz was basically the same as 2400. A shame the x99-E WS doesn't support higher mhz.

I've just installed some 1GB software on my osx drive from another internal drive, getting a bit of crackles and pops in the sound. So I guess my problem is not completely resolved jet, it's just not all the time I can reproduce it! But I'm still gonna try to have my soundcard directly attached to the hack.

I'm running VSL stuff for my orchestral sounds mostly, which also makes it the most heavy on RAM. I've tried all configurations almost I think of their sampler, but I have to dig in a bit more how other people has their settings, cause I don't expect that many to have 128GB ram available to fix it.

Sounds sweet with a thunderbolt 12TB raid. Can I dig your brain about it a bit?
- What raid do you run? Which case have you used? 7200rpm drives? and what pci card?
- Do you need to be mobile, since you don't just use all the wonderful SATA 6gb/s?
At least I was looking in to doing something similar at a point. But most of my writing is in my homestudio...
As Raid system I use a 2bigThunderbolt2 12TB HDD configured as Raid 0....I know...I preferred speed to security because as you know, to load a big sample, for example, Lass orchestral sounds you need mostly speed to reduce time especially if you are playing live. So, with raid 0 I've all the speed I need.

My thunderbolt PCI-e card is the one recommended here by rbbunmc, so ThunderboltEXII.
In my build I've 2 SSD (1tb SanDisk with Yosemite and 512GB OCZ for Windows 10) I use the 1tb SSD with VST presets that don't need to load big samples or sounds, like Nexus or Arturia sets. The only "big" preset I use on my SSD is Omnisphere...

It seems to work for now, I will give you an update when all is checked. I used EZUpdate on Windows and have now the latest Bios-Version on the board.

What did help me was setting the PCI-Slot to 2x instead of 4x although it seems to work only on one TB-Port.

Thank you man!

@Adriavidal
I will post my settings when all is checked

Thanks very much for this guide.

I followed it carefully and my build is almost running smoothly.
Although the system will only boot into Yosemite half of the time..

The other half it goes to black screen and restarts.

I'm using this hardware:

Asus X99-A
GTX 980 ti

These kernel flags:

npci=0x2000
kext-dev-mode=1
nvda_drv=1

Here's the boot log when it fails (Sorry for the quality):

tony.jpg

If anyone know what could be causing this please let me know.. haven't seen anyone else with this issue.
I don't understand why it would boot up half the time and not the other. :banghead:

EDIT: I've figured this out for now.. I had two monitors plugged into my system. One through DisplayPort and the other going from VGA from the monitor, and using a VGA to DVI converter to the system.. I unplugged that one and now it boots every time. Not sure why it didn't like that.

Thanks for the reply,

I'll try that when I get home.
Although, it was happening before I installed the Windows drive (Albeit not quite as often).
And when I boot into Windows it's successful every time.

But I do see the NTFS errors in the boot log.

Any other red flags in the boot log?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

I'll try that when I get home.
Although, it was happening before I installed the Windows drive (Albeit not quite as often).
And when I boot into Windows it's successful every time.

But I do see the NTFS errors in the boot log.

Any other red flags in the boot log?

Thanks
There is a cpu error too...unknown model. Did you edit voodootscsync.kext for your cpu?

Yes I used the appropriate version of voodootscsync.kext (6 core)

I have a feeling it is the CPU error though because i noticed something about that in -v in a previous attempt.

Any other advice you can give me to solve it?

Yes I used the appropriate version of voodootscsync.kext (6 core)

I have a feeling it is the CPU error though because i noticed something about that in -v in a previous attempt.

Any other advice you can give me to solve it?
Hmm i think there is something wrong in voodootscsync.kext...which flags did you use?

Is it possible to replace it now?
Or do I need to start over?

Using these flags:

npci=0x2000
nvda_drv=1
kext-dev-mode=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back