Contribute
Register

560 Ti: Coloured squares and crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got what appears to be a brand new one (shrinkwrapped retail box). I didn't talk to EVGA at all; I just sent it back to the place that I bought it from and they sent me a new one. I have no idea what would happen if you contacted EVGA directly (they don't have a presence in my country).

Oh ok.
Does anyone else have any experience replacing a card with EVGA in the USA? Would it be a refurb?
Thank You.

i have a gigabyte 560 ti.. have the same crashing issue on lion and now on ML.. i loaded windows 7 and ran it for a while.. so far no issues there on windows 7.. is there any test i can do on windows 7 to determine if my card is ok?

also, i just extracted my ROM file for 560 ti and put it on my mountain lion with every setting suggested..

i could reboot perfectly.. but, its just been a while. can't say anything if this has resolved my issue of freezing..

if this ROM trick solves it well and good.. otherwise i will consider replacing my card..

can someone suggest if there is a sure way to determine if my card is good or bad under windows 7???

thanks..

I am seeing this same problem on my newly built Hackintosh with an EVGA 560TI. So far it has only happened in Mountain Lion. I've played some games under Windows for 8+ hours and it doesn't have an issue. I don't think it's the card if it isn't happening in Windows.

I'm not sure the best way to test under windows, but I too have the Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1024MB - device ID is 0x1200 in System Information.
I had the card crash / coloured squares / freezing problem on 10.7.4 and now I'm on 10.8 and it is doing the same thing. It happens after I leave the computer unattended for 10 or 20 minutes... Though it has done it in front of me while I was using the system a couple of times.

I don't think I have a defective card, because in Windows I have done a lot of gaming and have been pushing the card quite hard and never had a problem.

Just a moment ago I tried putting the extracted BIOS ROM in /Extra/ so I'll see if that makes a difference. Under System Information it now says "ROM Revision: /Extra/10de_1200.rom" so I know it's "installed". I'll update in a day or two and let you all know if it becomes stable.

Just a moment ago I tried putting the extracted BIOS ROM in /Extra/ so I'll see if that makes a difference. Under System Information it now says "ROM Revision: /Extra/10de_1200.rom" so I know it's "installed". I'll update in a day or two and let you all know if it becomes stable.

Dont forget to add UseNvidiaRom=Yes in the org.chamelen.boot.plist.

reporting 1 crash yesterday on my system, after 2 days of putting bios rom in Extra folder and making the UseNvidiaRom=Yes entry..

the system ran flawlessly for first 2 days.. but yesterday i left the system idle for about 15 min, came back to find that the display was disfigured, nothing was moving and yes mouse was moving..

i did disk verification check, and found some GPURestart issue..

let see what others are experiencing after putting ROM file.. keep posting.. thanks

reporting 1 crash yesterday on my system, after 2 days of putting bios rom in Extra folder and making the UseNvidiaRom=Yes entry..

the system ran flawlessly for first 2 days.. but yesterday i left the system idle for about 15 min, came back to find that the display was disfigured, nothing was moving and yes mouse was moving..

i did disk verification check, and found some GPURestart issue..

let see what others are experiencing after putting ROM file.. keep posting.. thanks

I'm curious, how are your Energy Saver settings set? I've set both to never sleep and I've not had a crash since. The last two crashes I had were after the display went to sleep.

I'm curious, how are your Energy Saver settings set? I've set both to never sleep and I've not had a crash since. The last two crashes I had were after the display went to sleep.

you are right perhaps.. if the display goes to sleep, crash happens.. but even if this is the case.. it should be rectified.. anyhow, i have put a screensaver for energy saver options.. what would you suggest?

will try that..

also, i assume system crashing due to display sleep is not because the graphics card is bad? its just a configurational issue with Lion or Mountain Lion.. ?

you are right perhaps.. if the display goes to sleep, crash happens.. but even if this is the case.. it should be rectified.. anyhow, i have put a screensaver for energy saver options.. what would you suggest?

will try that..

also, i assume system crashing due to display sleep is not because the graphics card is bad? its just a configurational issue with Lion or Mountain Lion.. ?

That's a good question, and I don't know what the answer is long term. For now I am just using a screen saver. Perhaps some of the more technical folks can suggest some logs we could provide that might help find a long term solution to this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back