Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've got a newly finished CustomMac Pro (pretty much matching the build guide). Right now, I've got two ASUS MX27AQ monitors (1440p) attached via DisplayPort cables to my Gigabyte NVIDIA 970 card, and I finally got them running at 2560x1440 resolution.

It's GLORIOUS...

My question is this. Since I spend so much time in front of the computer, can I just run a cable from the third DisplayPort (or even HDMI) to my 4K Television for watching stuff through iTunes?

I realize I could (and do) just run things off my AppleTV, but it's not 4k content and can't really function as a desktop display. I was wondering/hoping if nothing else, that I could crash in front of the TV with a wireless mouse and keyboard to use the big TV as a great 4k monitor...

Wayne

HDMI will (most likely) be limited to 30Hz because OS X doesn't support HDMI 2.0, which provides the necessary bandwidth. This is fine for watching movies but not enough to use as desktop display.
There are some hacks (e.g. Pixel clock unlock), but I'm not sure if this will enable HDMI 2.0 capabilities.

DisplayPort should work easily, but most TVs don't have a DisplayPort connector. In this case, an active DisplayPort -> HDMI 2.0 adapter will do the trick.

DisplayPort should work easily, but most TVs don't have a DisplayPort connector. In this case, an active DisplayPort -> HDMI 2.0 adapter will do the trick.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a shot. At this point, it'd be worth the price of the cable just to satisfy my curiosity.. (which is kinda how I got into this whole project in the first place)

:)

{edit: Think it'll have any problems (performance perhaps) with displaying 2x 1440p monitors while pushing 4k to the big screen?}

Wayne

Last edited:
If you go the adapter way, be wary that it is HDCP compliant (or strips it), or you won't be able to play your iTunes movies.

If you go the adapter way, be wary that it is HDCP compliant (or strips it), or you won't be able to play your iTunes movies.
I had not even considered that, but thank you very much...

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back