Contribute
Register

4K Monitor Support in OS X 10.9.3 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX 980, no OSX support at this time.

ARRRGGHHH!!! :banghead:

I guess patience needs to be a virtue for me :headbang:

Having said that, I did a bit more research & found the following in the User Guide for that VIZIO 4K UHD TV:

VIZIO UG HDMI20.png

It looks to me like this is one of the first UHD TVs that truly does support HDMI 2.0. As I look back through this thread again, there was some talk about being able to use a "DP > active HDMI" adapter as a work-around to get the DP 1.2 signal that does support 4K@60Hz out of one of the current crop of video cards into a monitor that has HDMI 2.0. Am I reading/understanding that correctly?

...so let me resume and please tell me if and where I understood it wrong

1) No 4k monitor can be driven at full resolution and 60Hz right now, even in OSX 10.10 Yosemite (true or false?)

2) Full resolution can only be achieved through display port (true or false?)

...and a question I am a bit confused about: NVIDIA official website claims that GTX 650 and higher support 4k as maximum resolution but the specs of this and even more poweful graphic cards of various vendors assure only 2560 x 1600 max, so which card would be the cheapest one to drive a 4K monitor?

thank you

You might find this thread interesting I started:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-support/144577-yosemite-4k-thread.html
So it seem to be possible to get 4k@60Hz.
Unfrotunately there is very little response to these questions I asked before so many times.
It might be because it is a nonissue, because all 4k monitors now work with yosemite right away, and no one even bothers to clarify (I hope),or the demand for 4k is just not strong enough and people don´t have setups to use it.

I´m pretty sure the new GTX cards are 4k capable. The manufacturers even advertise 4k gaming with those on their homepage.

I would also really like to know wich setups will work!

If you happen to find a solution, please post!

1) No 4k monitor can be driven at full resolution and 60Hz right now, even in OSX 10.10 Yosemite (true or false?)

false. I have the monitor Samsung 28D590D and it runs 4K at 60Hz on OS X. I am using Yosemite but I think it would work on Mavericks as well. I did not do anything special, no boot flags.

True. It is a data bus limitation. HDMI 1.4 cannot give 4K at 60Hz. When monitors with HDMI 2.0 starts to pop up, that will probably change.

3) so which card would be the cheapest one to drive a 4K monitor?

Well, I had the same question myself. I went for a GTX 770 just to be sure. It seems to be more than enough. I can even do Dota 2 gaming at 4K!

voo3dL.png

You might find this thread interesting I started:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-support/144577-yosemite-4k-thread.html
So it seem to be possible to get 4k@60Hz.
Unfrotunately there is very little response to these questions I asked before so many times.
It might be because it is a nonissue, because all 4k monitors now work with yosemite right away, and no one even bothers to clarify (I hope),or the demand for 4k is just not strong enough and people don´t have setups to use it.

I´m pretty sure the new GTX cards are 4k capable. The manufacturers even advertise 4k gaming with those on their homepage.

I would also really like to know wich setups will work!

If you happen to find a solution, please post!

I have Yosemite instlalled on a GTX-770 and a UP2414Q monitor via Display Port 1.2.
My SMBIOS is for iMac14,2. And native drivers.

I can't get 60Hz to work, but no problems with 4K 30Hz.

false. I have the monitor Samsung 28D590D and it runs 4K at 60Hz on OS X. I am using Yosemite but I think it would work on Mavericks as well. I did not do anything special, no boot flags.

True. It is a data bus limitation. HDMI 1.4 cannot give 4K at 60Hz. When monitors with HDMI 2.0 starts to pop up, that will probably change.

3) so which card would be the cheapest one to drive a 4K monitor?

Well, I had the same question myself. I went for a GTX 770 just to be sure. It seems to be more than enough. I can even do Dota 2 gaming at 4K!

View attachment 111721

What SMBIOS are you using? I think it culd be a monitor support problem, since my Dell UP2414Q is a MST monitor.

ok, so what I gathered so far is:
Monitors with Single Stream support are ok at 60hz over Displayport.
MST does currently not work at 60hz.

How about adapting a Monitor (or TV) with HDMI 2.0 to the displayport output of the Graphicscard?
would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back