Contribute
Register

4K Monitor Support in OS X 10.9.3 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the Acer B326HK. Plugged in the DP, booted up and voila: seems I got full res and 60Hz with my GeForce 770 2GB. No power-cycling or anything. However, the resolution does not seem to display correctly in my system preferences. Is there anyways I can check it's running the correct one (3840x2160) somewhere? I mean, I'm pretty sure I would see if it's interpolating, and right now everything looks great, but just want to make sure :) Especially since I'm gonna build a hack for a client with it.

You have turned screen scaling on, with the option that "Looks like 3008x1692". How it works on OS X is that the OS is rendering the screen at four times that resolution, then scaling it down to the screen's native resolution. That's why the display dialog is reporting 6016x3384, which is exactly four times 3008x1692. The on-screen display on the Acer shows what resolution the display is actually receiving:
2015-01-24 12.52.06.jpg

I also have the same display, and haven't found a solution for your second question. Another problem I have is that when the computer wakes from sleep or even if it has just put the display to sleep, the monitor won't get a signal. I have to unplug the DP cable from the computer and put it back in to get a signal. This happens both with OS X default drivers and the latest NVidia web driver. I'm running OS X 10.10.1. Any solutions?

You have turned screen scaling on, with the option that "Looks like 3008x1692". How it works on OS X is that the OS is rendering the screen at four times that resolution, then scaling it down to the screen's native resolution. That's why the display dialog is reporting 6016x3384, which is exactly four times 3008x1692. The on-screen display on the Acer shows what resolution the display is actually receiving:
View attachment 123339

I also have the same display, and haven't found a solution for your second question. Another problem I have is that when the computer wakes from sleep or even if it has just put the display to sleep, the monitor won't get a signal. I have to unplug the DP cable from the computer and put it back in to get a signal. This happens both with OS X default drivers and the latest NVidia web driver. I'm running OS X 10.10.1. Any solutions?

After installing the GTX 980 I now get the proper UHD res showing in "About this computer" (3840x2160), but if I go further into system info it's still showing the 3008x1692 res.

Also, sometimes during boot or while in BIOS I get a flickery output signal. This stops one's I'm inside OS X or Windows though.

Anyone with further info about this display are very welcome to comment!

I would like to report that my new Acer B286HK works Plug & Play via DisplayPort using my GTX 660 under OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 - full UHD Res @ 60Hz

Getting a new DP cable actually solved some of my sleep -problems, along with some flicker -problems that the cable that came with apparently caused. Now my screen wakes after putting the Comp and the screen to sleep. But weirdly enough, it doesn't wake if i ONLY put the screen to sleep.

Anyways, getting a new cable helped me a little bit!

Based on the results that you two had, I decided to get the Acer B286HK as well. Managed to get the last one out of liquidation from Acer through eBay $369 shipped. You guys were right. I made sure to set Graphics Enabler to No and started up with DVI on my old monitor first just to get to the desktop. I then plugged the display port into the monitor and then computer and powered it on, (after remembering there is a power switch on this monitor of course :) To my astonishment, it worked!!

Very pleased. It is still a mystery between OS X native drivers and the NVIDIA web driver. I first had it turned on and everything worked, now I can't seem to get the new 4K to get any signal with the NVIDIA so I switched back to OS X drivers and it is working now, but I'm afraid it will freeze at some point as this driver always seems to do. Also, I don't think sleep will work with the NVIDIA drivers either, from what I've noticed. Any light on that subject would be welcomed. I am including my res options when I look at scaled and when I hold option and click scaled.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 12.51.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 12.51.16 PM.png
    408.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 12.43.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 12.43.01 PM.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 268
View attachment 123339

I have the same problem, it won't return from sleep

Also, I had another problem, if I use multi-monitors (one connected to the DVI), then I can't have a screen when I turn the screen on.

I have to turn on PIP and connect another DVI input to my Acer B326HK in order to have miniDP inside the PIP and that is the ONLY way it works when I boot the machine.

Very annoying

My solution was to buy a Samsung U32D970Q

I am refunding the monitor today, it doesn't work with Yosemite

However, since this monitor is affordable, I would LOVE to know if there is a solution to the Acer B326HK

I even bought a second graphic card to output signal to my other monitor, but still, the signal goes to the DVI monitor (analog) no matter what, and I can't receive a signal on the Acer B326HK.

I tried everything I could think of, cables, graphic cards, drivers, etc, I gave up.

I would LOVE to know if there is a solution for this

I have the same problem, it won't return from sleep

Also, I had another problem, if I use multi-monitors (one connected to the DVI), then I can't have a screen when I turn the screen on.

I have to turn on PIP and connect another DVI input to my Acer B326HK in order to have miniDP inside the PIP and that is the ONLY way it works when I boot the machine.

Very annoying

My solution was to buy a Samsung U32D970Q

I am refunding the monitor today, it doesn't work with Yosemite

However, since this monitor is affordable, I would LOVE to know if there is a solution to the Acer B326HK

I even bought a second graphic card to output signal to my other monitor, but still, the signal goes to the DVI monitor (analog) no matter what, and I can't receive a signal on the Acer B326HK.

I tried everything I could think of, cables, graphic cards, drivers, etc, I gave up.

I would LOVE to know if there is a solution for this

That's weird. My build handled an Apple 30" Cinema Display fine over DVI as a second monitor. Both plugged into the GTX 980. OS X 10.10.3, and think it was on OS X Nvidia Drivers.

That's weird. My build handled an Apple 30" Cinema Display fine over DVI as a second monitor. Both plugged into the GTX 980. OS X 10.10.3, and think it was on OS X Nvidia Drivers.

Did you connected the Acer B326HK and added that monitor as the Primary Monitor?

And did you enabled 3840x2160 60Hz DP 1.2?

Everything works fine if I select DP 1.1 3840x2160 30Hz

Did you connected the Acer B326HK and added that monitor as the Primary Monitor?

And did you enabled 3840x2160 60Hz DP 1.2?

Everything works fine if I select DP 1.1 3840x2160 30Hz

Yep, pretty sure I had the Acer as the primary. And yes, I'm sure it was set to DP1.2, 60hz.

Yep, pretty sure I had the Acer as the primary. And yes, I'm sure it was set to DP1.2, 60hz.

Would you tell me if you are using Chameleon or Clover?

Would you please tell me what is the

ProductName
Board-ID
SerialNumber (just copy the first 4 characters and the last 4 characters please, mask the rest)

I was playing with Clover and when I selected MacPro6,1 instead of MacBook Air, it was working better.

However, the machine would reboot randomly when I would power it on, so I didn't consider it a stable solution

Right now I have the Samsung U32D970Q, a better monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back